Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highest Quality LiPo Packs

Default Highest Quality LiPo Packs

What are the highest quality LiPo packs these days?

I'm convinced that it's worth spending extra for quality. Last time I cycle charged my LiPos were in 2012. My Enerland (Korean) 25C LiPo from RC LiPos have held up very well - open circuit 3.9V/cell and charged beautifully with no heat, with immeasurable 0.0V internal resistance. Whereas, the Elite 30C LiPos are bloated pieces of junk now.

Thanks
    Mean Machine Cat: 9XL, 4S2P, CC120, M545 (50mph) -- DF22 Hydro: 8L, 3S1P/4500, CC120, x637 (49mph) -- M-1 SuperCat: 1521/1Y, 6S2P, CC240, x447 (61mph) -- SV27 Mono: stock setup, 14-cell/4200, x642 (42mph) -- Micro Scat Cat: 28-3600, 3S1P/2100, Turnigy 60, x430 (41mph)

Get ready for 100 different opinions....

Great to hear from you, Doby! It's been 5 years since I last ran a boat, no worries as I'll filter responses based on racing experience of a select few that I'm already familiar. In forums, you have to chose your experts. :)
    Mean Machine Cat: 9XL, 4S2P, CC120, M545 (50mph) -- DF22 Hydro: 8L, 3S1P/4500, CC120, x637 (49mph) -- M-1 SuperCat: 1521/1Y, 6S2P, CC240, x447 (61mph) -- SV27 Mono: stock setup, 14-cell/4200, x642 (42mph) -- Micro Scat Cat: 28-3600, 3S1P/2100, Turnigy 60, x430 (41mph)

The problem is that even when "choosing experts", you will get fan boy opinions from people who think what they run is good, but have very little or no actual evidence to support why they say their brand/type is better. There are plenty of people who have done actual tests, compared logs between brands/types, etc., but that info is usually met with "yeah, but still..." or "I don't care what your data says, I know what's good". When a brand that is NOT a "forum favorite" and NOT sold by someone on a given forum but gets a lot of support, people react negatively. There was a brand that recently got a lot of attention because people were getting results that were noticeably better than other brands out there, but people WHO NEVER USED THEM responded by calling the feedback people were posting "hype" or even "spam". Eventually it worked, people stopped posting, and we're all just as dumb as we were before people were sharing their experiences. I'm not going to mention the brand. I'd rather not be accused of "hyping" something by people who get their feelings hurt when they find out that what they are running might not be "the best".

I will try to help you without telling you what I PERSONALLY think is the best though:

Whatever you choose, realize that with any lipo, what you think you knew a year or two (or longer) ago doesn't matter now. A brand that was great two years ago may be crap now, even if they're charging top prices. A lot of people are willing to "pay for the best", but don't realize that the most expensive is not always the best. I recently talked with a customer about replacing his lipos and he was astounded that the lipos I recommended were half the price of the lipos he had. He even double checked and said "You know those are a lot cheaper than what I'm running, right?"

There was a time when a couple brands were top of the line and they charged top price for their cells. They're still charging top price, but they're not selling the same cells they once were. They are still sworn by among people who just "know what they know".

Thanks Keith! I've only used 3 kinds of LiPos:

HobbyKing 4S/4100mAh/15C - bloated and junked.
    Elite 3S/4500/30C - bloated and junked.
    Enerland PolyRC 4S2P and 6S2P 5000mAh/25C - has withstood the test of time and are excellent after numerous runs.

I had bought $1,200 worth of LiPos from RCLipos.com in 2009, so I e-mailed him inquiring about how happy I was with his Enerland PolyRC LiPos, and if there are equivalent quality packs for 3S that I could buy. I never heard back from him. I'm still going to need 3S2P 4000-5000mAh Lipos to replace the junked Chinese LiPos. Sadly, I've only run these 10 ten times...

MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Hey Doug, your advice several years ago on the Titan 29 was spot on! The Neu 1515/2200kV worked awesome!

I better rephrase the question to everyone: What LiPos have given you at least 100 runs with over 180 Amps on 2P set ups without degradition in run time or performance?

My recommendation would be to look at results. Check with guys that are winning classes racing against the fastest guys and best drivers in the country. Check the SAW records.

You have to be careful. Few post on this topic anymore. You will receive a lengthy dissertations on integrity if you have an opinion that does not endorse the brand Keith did not mention.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by 10gauge View Post
    Hey Doug, your advice several years ago on the Titan 29 was spot on! The Neu 1515/2200kV worked awesome!

I better rephrase the question to everyone: What LiPos have given you at least 100 runs with over 180 Amps on 2P set ups without degradition in run time or performance?
    I'm glad you had a good experience with the Titan. I doubt I'll ever get rid of mine sweet, sweet ride! I still have the very first set of Hyperion 5500 35C cells that I ran in her.

Check pages 6,7, &8 for the FE records if interested.
    http://impba.net/attachments/article...BER%202014.pdf

NAMBA records can be found here if interested.
    http://namba.com/content/default.asp

Good luck!
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 03-14-2015 at 04:24 PM.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    My recommendation would be to look at results. Check with guys that are winning classes racing against the fastest guys and best drivers in the country. Check the SAW records.

You have to be careful. Few post on this topic anymore. You will receive a lengthy dissertations on integrity if you have an opinion that does not endorse the brand Keith did not mention.
    T.S. Davis, that's brilliant! I didn't know that info was public record. I found my answer(s)!

OP:
    Also consider the date of the record. A lipo that was good in 2006 of course would not compete with even some of the lowest grade lipos available today. Looking at the records set in the last couple years I see:
    -Dinogy
    -Entropy
    -Hyperion
    -Giant Power
    -Grim Racer
    -Revolectrix
    -SLS
    -Turnigy
    -Zippy

There are definitely capable packs that aren't on that list, and perhaps some on that list that don't necessarily "blow the skirt up", but it seems they were good enough to get a record. Tyler set the all-time record last year with SLS packs, and there were a couple other very impressive records set with SLS packs as well.

Something else that caught my attention is the fact that your lipos have been in storage for 3 years. A lipo is perpetually degrading from the day it is made. Lipos that age well in storage aren't the same as lipos that perform well under load, either. For example, I once accidentally stored some older 20C lipos FULLY CHARGED for over a year. I was scared to open the box they were in, but when I did, they were all in the perfect "brick" form they were in when I put them away. They had lost some capacity of course, but overall still performed ok. In another instance, I put some of a newer 65C lipo in their case charged and didn't use them as soon as planned. When I opened the case a month later, EVERY SINGLE LIPO was puffed. I'm not saying that every high discharge lipo will do that, they don't. However, it is pretty typical that a lower discharge lipo will store better than a higher discharge lipo. Keep that in mind when you decide what to buy. If I wanted lipos to run in something where 20C would be fine and I planned on storing them a lot, I would probably choose 20C lipos.

You will receive a lengthy dissertations on integrity if you have an opinion that does not endorse the brand Keith did not mention.
    Absolutely not true. Everyone is entitled to their own experiences. I could never possibly test everything out there, so if you endorse something that I don't use that's fine. For all I know, you could have the best thing on the planet. I'll gladly share MY experiences with products I've used, and for those I haven't, I'll keep my mouth shut. Terry received a PM from me because he was slinging mud about a product he had never used, seen, held, or experienced in any way. The PM was sent in an effort to be friendly and get along, instead of spending time arguing with someone about something they know nothing about. It won't happen again Terry. My mistake.

The batteries Keith mentioned are all pretty good packs. If you are looking for packs that will last 100 runs, this is much harder to answer. From my own experience, the best batteries for heat racing have been old Hyperion 45C packs. The same newer Hyperions have not faired as well. I bought the old ones 4-5 years ago and still race with them and performance has remained stable over the years. I don't have enough runs on the other packs to say what else is holding up. Most of the other brands have all tapered off to some extent. To be perfectly blunt, if you are running 2P with reasonable excess capacity after a run+25%, most cells will run fine. If you are running a 1P set-up in a rigger when you have high current draw, the quality of the cells become more important. I prefer to buy cells from people/companies that support the cells and give excellent customer service. This is more important than who went how fast with what brand.

The records to look at are the 2-lap and heat racing records, not necessarily the SAW records. SAW batteries are a slightly different animal where true 60-100C conditions exist for several seconds. And we only look for 3 maybe 4 passes before we come in. And most of us are willing to heavily abuse a battery expecting to replace it after a short number of runs.

TG
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Haha. See what I mean.

I put more faith in Tyler's 2 cents because I know he doesn't do just one thing. Plus nobody has the balls to call him a "fan boy".

Now if Smock or I prefer ed a Hyperion it would be because we're ignorant fan boys. See how it works and why nobody comments?
    Noisy person

Thanks Keith, Tyler, and T.S. for the great points about C rating, storage, # runs, amp draw, and pattern of racing. This also helps explain why my 25C LiPos held up better than my 35C. In the span of 3 years, only my 3S/4500/35C LiPos didn't survive. The ultimate test will be of course how these LiPos from storage will perform under load...

I am glad I asked about LiPos. It seems performance, quality, charge cycles, and storage characteristics vary from one brand to another. About 5 years ago, Thunder Power from MaxAmps were deemed worthy. I don't see them mentioned in the same light now. I don't know how the sourcing works for LiPos nowadays... Much like anything else these days, it seems newer LiPos are more expendable with shorter life spans. I might stick with 25C

As far as chargers go, one thing I've never understood is why from day one, my circa 2007 Hyperion 0720i charger and external LBA10 Balancer always defaulted to A123 instead of LiPo setting on 2S and 3S. On 4S - 6S it recognizes LiPos. Another quirk is that the balancer never engages on the first try and beeps until about the 3rd or 4th try. I am a bit apprehensive buying the newer Dual 1000W Hyperion charger in fear that the quirks have not been fixed.

I can't help think how far along RC has come along... 25 years ago, we'd go to the local hobby shop and get ourselves a Mabuchi 540 or 550 motor, gear drive, NiCad packs, and hope to hit 35mph. I am astounded by the discharge rates of the newest LiPos... With ever-increasing power available from LiPos and motors, it seems to me that ESCs are still the weakest link... It seems that has changed too as I still have several new Castle Hydra 120, 240, and 240 HV ICE ESCs.

Haha. See what I mean.

I put more faith in Tyler's 2 cents because I know he doesn't do just one thing. Plus nobody has the balls to call him a "fan boy".

Now if Smock or I prefered a Hyperion it would be because we're ignorant fan boys. See how it works and why nobody comments?
    This is why these threads take the twists and turns that they do. You see Tyler and I have had different experience with the newer Hyperions.

So I guess this is where I'm supposed to question his equipment etc. right?

"Everyone is entitled to their own experiences". Ah, a little gem in all of this.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

I wish I had more time to really datalog, test and record the measurements from the different packs. Otherwise it is pretty hard to say one is better than another in a boat without data to back it up.

TG
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

I'll step up, I'll call Tyler a "fat boy"

See ya Friday buddy
    Brian

BTW: I have that 6s pack for "Q" if you still need it

I should have known that was coming. I see you are up late preparing boats!

Yes, I still need the Q battery and I will buy dinner.

TG
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Surprised there is no mention of SMC. I have found them to be awesome.There are tons of good reviews all over the net. They def have more punch than my turnigy packs. They have the best balance of any packs i.ve owned. Every single cell dead nuts on every single time. Hard case. And can be had in canada for slightly less than gens ace packs.Whats not to like.

Nice to know Ken. I'll look at them at the LHS...

Quote Originally Posted by kendt View Post
    Surprised there is no mention of SMC. I have found them to be awesome.There are tons of good reviews all over the net. They def have more punch than my turnigy packs. They have the best balance of any packs i.ve owned. Every single cell dead nuts on every single time. Hard case. And can be had in canada for slightly less than gens ace packs.Whats not to like.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Ya do a search. Lots of good reviews out there.http://begoracing.com/shop/index.php...tegory&path=42 Here is where i get em. They dont have every size but most. I figured it out they are actually a couple bucks cheaper than ordering from HK now that they have changed their shipping methods, and with the us exchange. Not to mention the CC company,s charge an extra 2.5% for foreign transactions.

We shall see how well my Revo's fair this summer after being stored cool, all Fall and winter. I've still got some 2S packs that are about 8 years old. They are the old Poly Rc's. I'll try the pair of 2s 5000's in my N2 Sport hydro, they try them against my 3 year old Dinogy's. The Poly Rc's are only 25C packs and the Dinogy's are 40 or 50C I think?? I was not overly thrilled with the Dinogy packs so far but, they need more running.
    Nortavlag Bulc

The revo,s sure seem to have a good reputation. I wont buy anything that has to come from US by courier. Shipping is bad enough without paying insane brokerage charges as well. Its getting freakin ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by kendt View Post
    I've never used them, but there are a number of lipo brands/styles that just aren't popular in FE boating. Sometimes things might not be popular because they don't perform well, sometimes it's just because they haven't caught on with the FE crowd.
    Another brand that's not talked about much in boating is Glacier RC. They seem to perform pretty well and are known as a good 25C or 35C packs (they may have other variations but these are the packs I am familiar with) in other facets of RC. I believe they are made in the same factory that makes Gens Ace, but most users report better performance and consistency compared to Gens Ace. Gens Ace packs were great when they first came out; their 25C packs out-performed their rating. However, the quality and performance of current Gens packs leaves a lot to be desired and it seems as if the "good packs" have gone to Glacier. To the OP, these might be worth checking out. I've ran some with good results but not a lot of cycles. When we tested a bunch of packs about a year ago the Glaciers actually outperformed some of the 65C packs out there. I have some friends in the airplane world that like them too and have somewhere around 100 cycles on them.

I agree with Tyler in regards to Hyperion packs, they are one of the brands I eluded to earlier when I said some of the "top of the line" brands may not be what they once were. Perhaps they are still the bee's knees for some people, that's fine, but in my experience they aren't what they once were.

...and for the record, the reason people don't call Tyler a "fanboy" has nothing to do with "balls". The shoe simply doesn't fit. There are plenty of polarizing people in this hobby and on this forum, and while I appreciate every one of them (whether or not they appreciate me), I think Tyler is pretty universally liked and respected. If you asked everyone to post all the times they thought Tyler wasn't helpful or genuine, that would likely be the last post in the thread.
    Last edited by keithbradley; 03-19-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Guy's a very nice battery discussion.
    Do It Like You Mean It .....or Don't Bother

Yes i,ve read that the glaciers are a good battery also. But never heard of them being used for boating. I have a gens ace pack. 60c I believe. Its been a very good pack but I dont count them as great packs. The other one,s i.ve been curious about are the pulse ultra,s. At one time it was thought they were re banded gens ace but then later it seemed they were not. Its hard to say, but they do have their followers.Our choices north of the border are very limited unless we want to pay insane brokerage prices. That Is why i was very happy to find the SMC,s. I will be using them for all my boats eventually(providing of course they have the size I need)

I just ordered two glacier 6s packs 45c 5000 mah.
    Guess we'll see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Awesome thread!
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Dinogy, Revolectrix, SLS, and Glacier RC seem to be LiPo contenders based on generational consistency, current production, charge cycles, performance, and racing pedigree. I'm glad you all came forward to share your experiences. Many thanks.

Spc is another worthy contender that never gets mentioned.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast