Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a boat pushed or pulled by the prop.......that is the question

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    I guess i may have said it wrong initially:

Should have said, is the prop "boring/biting" into the water in front of it, drawing water in towards it......................"pulling" itself into the undisturbed water ahead of it.......................I wasnt actually referring to where it was on the boat.

Like Darin just said, how the prop moves itself thru the water..................which is how the boat is propelled by being attatched to the hull 'somewhere'.

It was just a physics question.

Actually, that's how I understood from your first question, also the drawing was clear. I think the subject matter made an unexpected "left" turn due to some unknown forces "pulling" it or shall I say "pushing" it.. Hence my analogy of pushing/pulling the car.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by iop65 View Post

in fact Newton's laws have nothing to do with the questions why the boats wants to go forward or an helipcopter wants to go upwards
    Newton's laws explain why a boat has torque roll or make it necessary for an helicopter to have a tailrotor( or an other solution like contra rotating props)
    I think Mr.Newton and Bernoulli would both agree that a boat is being pushed.

Propel your toy boats however you want fellas.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

with all due respect ; they will not

Hmmm......
    PADDLE WHELL....... Torque roll?

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fox88gt View Post
    This results in a pressure differential between the two sides of the blade: a positive pressure, or pushing effect, on the underside and a negative pressure, or PULLING EFFECT, on the top side. This action, of course, occurs on all the blades around the fall circle of rotation as the engine rotates the propeller. So the propeller is both pushing and being pulled through the water.
    So there is some pulling involved..............and pushing...........and pressure difference.............which all equals thrust the way I take it.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post

Actually, that's how I understood from your first question, also the drawing was clear.
    That's what I thought..........
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    One reason that surfacing propellers are "faster" is because they create a low pressure 'vacuum' area in front of the prop, this is well documented. The result of the pressure differential is strong forward movement.

Right, and in addition, the "faster" is also due to the drag factor is one of the reasons why surface piercing propellers are very efficient. One or more blade(s) is always out of the water causing less drag. They are also designed to run with the water line at hub level which keeps the majority of the blade area clear of the water and this reduces drag to a minimum and propulsion at maximum.
    Last edited by SweetAccord; 03-12-2015 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    That SweetAccord guy has all the answers, very fine explanation!!

Thank you. You are very kind.

boats are being pushed by Props,, not pulled,,, front wheel drive cars pull cars,, as rear wheel drives push the car pretty simple

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    boats are being pushed by Props,, not pulled,,, front wheel drive cars pull cars,, as rear wheel drives push the car pretty simple
    That is correct, but I am afraid my insurance adjuster will tell me that the part ahead ( i.e. front over hang part) of the front axle is still being pushed by the front driving wheels. lol.....

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    I am perfectly aware of where the prop is on a boat.

I am talking about the prop boring into the water ahead of it "pulling itself" thru the water thus moving the boat

Hopefully everyone now understands that my question was much more in depth than where the prop is.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    I am perfectly aware of where the prop is on a boat.

I am talking about the prop boring into the water ahead of it "pulling itself" thru the water thus moving the boat

Hopefully everyone now understands that my question was much more in depth than where the prop is.....................
    Your question IS deeper than most are going to understand. I for one actually enjoyed your question. Most will try to think inside or outside the box, while others make the BOX!

A prop in itself is pulling through the water. In order to propel a model boat as the ones we talk about in this forum it is most efficient imo, to attatch it to the rear of a boat for best performance, in doing so the boat is pushed forward by theprop pulling through the water.
    DaT sound good enough?:-)
    Nortavlag Bulc

Wow I must be bored trying to do some searching for my own stuff and info but stumbled on this mess.

Really, common sense rule in affect depends on location of motor. If motor or driving force of shaft is in front of propeller or impeller or turbine, boat or aircraft its pushing. if motor is behind its pulling. This should be as simple as what the shaft that spins the prop feels and if shaft is in front of propeller it sees force as pushing. If shaft is behind prop it sees it at pull. For general RC boats if it did not push forward you would not need any gap on your flex cables...

With out going back to the debate, the gap on the flex between the drive dog and the strut/stinger has very little to do with where the force is, in today's hi power set up,the twisting torque alone is enough to wind up the cable thus shortening it.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

your right on wind up but for the life of me can't see why this was even a topic. shaft in front its pushing shaft behind its pulling that's as simple as I could get. Now I am going to leave this allllloooonnnnneeeee...

The pushing work is being done by the pressure (back) face of the blade. In our application there is very little/no suction happening on the front face due to aeration as the blade enters the water. If the front side doesn't aerate properly and allows the water to stay attached to the front face, you see a huge increase in load with no performance increase. You want air to efficiently fill the void on the suction side as the blade enters the water.

So the question to ponder now is: How do you sharpen the leading edge to maximize aeration and what effect does it have on lift and cavitation? The follow up to that is: Do different hull types perform better with different leading edge treatments?
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by raptor347 View Post
    The pushing work is being done by the pressure (back) face of the blade. In our application there is very little/no suction happening on the front face due to aeration as the blade enters the water. If the front side doesn't aerate properly and allows the water to stay attached to the front face, you see a huge increase in load with no performance increase. You want air to efficiently fill the void on the suction side as the blade enters the water.

So the question to ponder now is: How do you sharpen the leading edge to maximize aeration and what effect does it have on lift and cavitation? The follow up to that is: Do different hull types perform better with different leading edge treatments?
    Thanks! Food for thought!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12