Thread: Tacon motors...anyone try them?

Default Tacon motors...anyone try them?

I purchased a Tacon 3660-3000kv motor from hobbypartz.com in September 2014 and I finally got around to pulling it out of the case. The reason I pulled it out was because my 5mm TFL collets didn't want to slide all the way down the 5mm shaft on my Leopard motors and I thought it would be easier to see what was going on my using the Tacon motor rather than pulling the leopard motors out of the hull. This is relevant only because the TFL collets are biting on the the shaft making it hard to pull them off.

When I tried pulling the TFL collet off the shaft of the Tacon motor, using my hand only, the motor shaft pulled out. I pushed the collet back down on the shaft and tried pushing the shaft back into the motor and the plastic backplate (held on my 4 screws) pushed out the back of the motor as the 4 screws broke free of the aluminum case. I finally got the collet off the motor shaft but the brand new Tacon motor is now a junk motor...or maybe it was a junk motor to begin with?

I have had a few with no problems, cheap 4 polers, ran well, but I never tried yanking or pushing on the ends so they may have come out too.............
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

I had one I put in a boat that was crap. The armature blew into about a million pieces on the 5th run.
    Another tacon I had was great. A sensored motor I had put in a street car. Thing was a beast.
    They're hit or miss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

The motor walls are very VERY thin aluminum and the black screws are only 1-2mm away from the edge so it didn't take much to pull it apart. I figure any motor I can pull apart with my hands is not going to hold up under load in a boat. :)

I put a significant amount of force on the leopard motors trying to free up the collet (it kept getting jammed when I tried to insert it over the shaft) and it just seemed like better quality. I think I'm going to swap out the motor with a Leopard just to be on the safe side, although a little JB weld or even marine goop would hold the back of the motor together well enough for the little bit of power I was planning on putting through it.

I've got a couple of the 4074 2150kv and they haul ass on 4s decent p class motor. Nothing like a 1515 1Y neu but still a decent motor..

Either sand down the shaft or get a new coupler.

Hmmm.....
    Finally a good argument for thrust bearing!!!!!!
    Too many boats, not enough time...

There have been deals on Ebay for Castle 1515B (smooth) going for $85 at times. I just missed he last one on a buy it now.
    Nortavlag Bulc