Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Water cooled mamba xl2

After seeing this thread pop back up it made me order the last needed piece to finish my new xl2 that's going in my new Rivercat. I added cooling tubes to the bottom of the esc also. I felt like there's fets at the bottom that need cooling also. Should be better than the last version
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    After seeing this thread pop back up it made me order the last needed piece to finish my new xl2 that's going in my new Rivercat. I added cooling tubes to the bottom of the esc also. I felt like there's fets at the bottom that need cooling also. Should be better than the last version
    do you have pics of this

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    do you have pics of this
    Ray,

Jay Turner did a really good, photo rich thread about this. You can find it here:

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ght=ice%2Blite

All the best,

Ray

do you have pics of this
    Only pic I have right now. Can take more wheni get home this evening. Look closely. At the bottom is a brazed set of tubing. The top is milled out for the twin 3/8" billet cooling blocks I have to machine.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Here you can see where and how I added cooling to the bottom.

we data logging on converted xl2 on a 40 inch q mono 6s, leopard 56x92 motor, full mill and full 6 laps, 237 max amps 203 average, max wats was 5347..motor came in at 135 speedo was 160..but finished..interesting, it can take abuse

Worked on it a little tonight. I've got to get it finished because the boat it's going in is almost done. Was going to run an mgm in the Rivercat but it doesn't fit as well. I could put it sideways but I don't like the looks of it that way at all. This castle esc is going to fit and look much better.

I made the two top cooling blocks tonight. I powder coated the bottom brass cooling tubes semi gloss black. Gold will have just looked out of place not to mention the corrosion it make get not long after I run it. I ordered some Arctic silver epoxy and heat sink grease so I can glue the heat sinks on and use the grease on the circuit board. This is going to be a max effort at keeping it cool. The motor wires will be just long enough to reach the motor. Same with the battery wires but going to the batteries of course lol. I'm wondering if 10ga is thick enough. I'm running two packs in parrallel and they only have 10ga on them. So two 10ga wires into one 8ga wire for each hot and ground. Thoughts?

Did u change caps??

Did u change caps??

No I did not. I'm aware that the voltage rating of the factory caps is too low, if I run over 6s I do change them to 50v. This setup will mainly be run in 4s and a max of 6s. I'm trying to decide if I want to rely on the factory built in bec or use an external one. Now that I think about it, castle becs aren't that great so I'll be running an external one. I have some small fightercat becs that I could use. I'm just pressed for space

Btw, it will have a nice cap bank attached to the board.

What do you guys like about these esc's so much to want to go thru the trouble of converting them ?

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    What do you guys like about these esc's so much to want to go thru the trouble of converting them ?
    For me its:

1) data logging. The best I've seen. That's number one.
    2) throttle control or preciseness. It's smooth. Very smooth. And the punch of these controllers is quite a bit stronger than the sf300's I use. Good for water wheelies and burning stuff up! Lol
    3) form factor. They are pretty compact for their output. And they seem to be pretty efficient.
    4) looks. I admit, I like the way they look. The way the wires are arranged better than a sf300

What I don't like:

Comes with the wrong caps if your going to run 8s. This I think is a failure point.
    The cooling. Ha! What cooling? They glued some tubes to the top of it and called it a day. Joke at best of you ask me.
    Waterproof. What? Why would they water proof it? I mean you know, boat escs, they never see water (that's mainly aimed at the ice 240 original esc which it he xl2 is the same just air cooled). But the waterproof the mamba monster...a land based esc...makes sense. Lol

Well I finished the latest xl2. I probably spent waaaaaay to much time on this thing. I soldered 8mm bullets right at the board. Soldered my bec pigtail to the board. Have cooling on top and bottom. All cooling blocks are epoxied on with Artic silver and the fets have Artic silver thermal paste. The board has been epoxy coated. A castle cap bank has been added but I replaced the caps with 1000uf 35v rubycon caps. This setup will be run in 4s and 3s in parrallel. Then the thing has been trimmed out in thin carbon sheet. Whew. Lots of work.

You can buy this heat sink material on eBay. Just cut to suit and apply. I'm actuall going to put the case back around this .....maybe.

Just search rc section of eBay for battery cooler and multiple sellers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nortavlag Bulc

Very neat Ray, I had a look for the cooling plates but couldn't find so instead I made up some copper water cooling plate which are extremely effective but are heavier than the aluminium ones you are using. This esc is going into my 37 inch SAW mono, the next one is for my P rigger so I will need to make it. A lot lighter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to use copper but, I went lighter for a Whip 40, Qsport.

here they are http://www.ebay.com/itm/161758596758...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Nortavlag Bulc

Any updates on how this esc worked out for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Miltoggie View Post
    Any updates on how this esc worked out for you?
    They work flawlessly with my castle and NEU motors, 1 in a q mono and the other in a q hydro

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBryant View Post
    They work flawlessly with my castle and NEU motors, 1 in a q mono and the other in a q hydro

Thanks for the reply StevenBryant. I have 4 of the xlx here at home, they have worked great for my 1/8 speedrun cars but now I want to see if I do a twin set up.

Mine has worked fine. I’ve over amped it and it runs cool. My cooling blocks are overkill though.

That is great to hear! How much and where can these cooling blocks be acquired from?

Quote Originally Posted by Miltoggie View Post
    That is great to hear! How much and where can these cooling blocks be acquired from?
    You will have to make your own. Unless someone is nice enough to mill you something

Here is the new listing from the seller that Ray. S. used;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Wa.../162092924475?

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123