Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Water cooled mamba xl2

Quote Originally Posted by kendt View Post
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...o_Car_ESC.html

They are a copy of the castle unit but much cheaper.
    If you go to SkyRc's web site they will show you the internals, very different from the Castle but, thats just my opinion. Good deal at HK.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Nortavlag Bulc

Interesting internal layout, still, I wouldn't have the ability to water cool it.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Thats a totally different version. The version sold by hk has the same layout as the castle.

Thats a totally different version. The version sold by hk has the same layout as the castle.
    Do you have a link so I can see how the internals are laid out? I'm not afraid to buy one and convert it.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Interesting, my bad.

Nortavlag Bulc

http://www.etotheipiplusone.net/?p=3096

Here you go. Scroll down about 3/4 of the page. They are pretty much exact copy of the castle.

You can see how the fets are closer to the middle and the heatsink actually touches the metal bars beside the fets. I will beusing thermal rubber to better pass heat from the fets. I wanted to use copper foil since I happen to have a ton of it but that would short out the esc.I put an ohm meter on the metal strips and they are connected with the motor wires.

I took a look at mine. It looks like a leftover SF 200a wc plate is a great solution for the castles. I have some pics. When I get a chance to crop and load em I will show what I did.

Here you go. Scroll down about 3/4 of the page. They are pretty much exact copy of the castle.

You can see how the fets are closer to the middle and the heatsink actually touches the metal bars beside the fets. I will beusing thermal rubber to better pass heat from the fets. I wanted to use copper foil since I happen to have a ton of it but that would short out the esc.I put an ohm meter on the metal strips and they are connected with the motor wires.
    That board looks exactly like a hydra 240 and mamba xl2. I want to buy one now but I wonder what programming software it uses and if it data logs like the castle.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Off the top of my head I dont think it does data logging.Its not a huge deal for me since the data logging on the castle units in general seem to have a reputation for being in accurate.There is a program card available for them. I wouldnt be at all shocked if the castle software works on them since its an obvious clone.

Cool, I have one of those here... Thanks

I took a look at mine. It looks like a leftover SF 200a wc plate is a great solution for the castles. I have some pics. When I get a chance to crop and load em I will show what I did.
    Nortavlag Bulc

20150307_100011.jpg

I removed the little heatsink under the driver board. Moving the caps out of the way, the sf plate fits perfect.20150307_095930.jpg

It looks as though .5mm thermal pad on either side and the two pieces will be a perfect fit. All that's left is to mill out some fines on the other half of the HS for brass tube. Providing of course I don't come up with something better.20150307_100139.jpg

Ok here is what I came up. Unfortunately due to the small amount of travel on my tiny lathe it will be a huge PITA to mill out the fins. 20150307_150222.jpg
    So I am going to use the stock fan only I will drill a couple large holes in the sink so the fan blows directly on the fets rather than just on the HS. The top half of the sink does a better job of contacting the fets then the lower half so doing it this way should actually work out quite well. It has thermal protection so should it not be enough cooling it will shut down. But honestly between the water plate on the bottom and the hs/fan on the top it should be fine.

Looking at the trackstar unit I should be able to do pretty much the same thing only with dual fans. The boat it will be going in can handle the tiny extra bit of weight. I just need to get my mitts on another SF cooling plate.

Ok here is what I came up. Unfortunately due to the small amount of travel on my tiny lathe it will be a huge PITA to mill out the fins. 20150307_150222.jpg
    So I am going to use the stock fan only I will drill a couple large holes in the sink so the fan blows directly on the fets rather than just on the HS. The top half of the sink does a better job of contacting the fets then the lower half so doing it this way should actually work out quite well. It has thermal protection so should it not be enough cooling it will shut down. But honestly between the water plate on the bottom and the hs/fan on the top it should be fine.

Looking at the trackstar unit I should be able to do pretty much the same thing only with dual fans. The boat it will be going in can handle the tiny extra bit of weight. I just need to get my mitts on another SF cooling plate.
    If you need something made let me know. I also have a hydra 240 top that I milled the tube slots bigger for bigger tubing. It's still rounded.

Thanks. I could do it if i really wanted. Just means milling so far and then undoing the vise and relocating the part to mill the rest. Its only a taig lathe so even setting it up for milling is a bit of a pain. I won,t do it unless I absolutely have to...

Very interesting...
    Nortavlag Bulc

have you guys determined that it,s the same as a castle 240? I need one. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    have you guys determined that it,s the same as a castle 240? I need one. thanks
    The innards are identical. You could buy an xl2 and put the board in your ice 240 case and be back in business.

are the red heatsink esc's same as the castle 240?

That was a good read.

Just got through programming mine. Boats pretty much done.

so I hate to revive a old thread but did you mods to the xl2 work and are they still working

Can this software be put on a memory stick and installed onto a PC with no internet connection?

I've tried and it will not install. It is possible my home PC is messed up regarding USB before I installed the Castle software on a stick.

Does the PC or laptop need to be connected to the internet to install software?

Thanks...
    Nortavlag Bulc

Should be able too as long as you have the dongle thingy to connect it to your pc.

OK then my software is corrupted on the stick and my pc has an issue in device manager. I accidentally deleted something to do with USB in devices.

I'll have a PC hooked up where I am now soon. I'll D/l the software then and see if it will install.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    That board looks exactly like a hydra 240 and mamba xl2. I want to buy one now but I wonder what programming software it uses and if it data logs like the castle.
    Travis, have you picked one of the TrackStar 200a esc ?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Travis, have you picked one of the TrackStar 200a esc ?
    I haven't. Iirc the price isn't much difference and I prefer to have the real thing. Plus I like the castle data logging the best out of all the other names I've used. I guess stick with what I know kind of thing. I have one I'm building for my replacement Rivercat build.

I noticed the TrackStar does not have a bec
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    I noticed the TrackStar does not have a bec
    That doesn't really bother me any. I have a unwritten rule that anything I build that will be pushed hard always gets an external bec. I feel like using an integral bec helps heat things up a little more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast