Thread: A lot of water coming in, need advice

Default A lot of water coming in, need advice

Hi Guys- I'm newer to the sport. I have done some searching haven't found any specific help to stop water from coming in the shaft where the prop meets the blue anodized shaft. I'm pretty sure that's where it's comin in since I have the hatch taped up (learned that lesson the hard way) and fixed the leak on the adjustable fin. There is so much water comin in that shaft that it makes my boat behave badly. Also, where specifically do I "lube the shaft"? near the motor, directly on the "flex" part or?? and what kind of lube do I use? something i can get at home depot, or will the hobby store carry it?

You didn't describe what kind of driveshaft system you have so it's hard to offer much advice.

One bit that I may add is to fit a piece of silicone (fuel) tubing over the stuff tube and driveshaft where it enters the hull.

Also drill a small hole at the lower aft end of the stuff tube to act as a drain hole. Then you can tape over it w/ hatch tape and remove to drain water at the end of the day, or leave it open so the water can drain out when not in the water.

I use stainless ground 1/8" straight shafts w/ stainless bearings. The driveshaft and bearings are removed and flushed w/ alcohol then re-oiled at the end of every raceday.

ok Thanks, it's just a stock driveshaft

Grease: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=dh-aqub9500

Should be applies along the whole wire drive.

Gotta use the search on the forum! https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ead.php?t=4591

~Peace
    Last edited by SweetAccord; 09-17-2008 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinThompson View Post
    Hi Guys- I'm newer to the sport. I have done some searching haven't found any specific help to stop water from coming in the shaft where the prop meets the blue anodized shaft. I'm pretty sure that's where it's comin in since I have the hatch taped up (learned that lesson the hard way) and fixed the leak on the adjustable fin. There is so much water comin in that shaft that it makes my boat behave badly. Also, where specifically do I "lube the shaft"? near the motor, directly on the "flex" part or?? and what kind of lube do I use? something i can get at home depot, or will the hobby store carry it?
    I actually got a tub of high temp grease from auto store and seems to work just as well as grim's stuff. Also Are you Sure you have the bushing in the strut? Even after a few runs without re-greasing I havent had anywater even after a flip. Just thinking you have a massive gap in there that shouldnt be. keep us posted as to what works for ya. The fuel tube on the stuff tube over the flex shaft should be a last resort as in my opinion it causes some drag and really doesnt fix a problem that shouldnt be with that boat.

Grease the flex cable. You'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymund629 View Post
    Grease the flex cable. You'll be fine.
    Exactly right and I run teflon the full length of the stuffing tube also. It has been mentioned here before that water problems can be caused by leakage in the water cooling system. You need to check it under pressure for leaks.

if you have not removed your hardware and put it back on with silicone you could have leaks there as well do a search on water sealing or leaks (I had a nice thread with a lot of info)
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

If have the stock water jacket that would be my guess. I was getting about a shot glass full of water every run. just got the OSE water jacket and now the inside is bone dry.

the stock jacket is very bad,, i was getting a lot of water as well... it was so bad i was looking for a crack in the hull....i bathtub tested it..was fine...i have a transom water pu hooked up a hose adapter i made for my gasser,,, i was amazed at how much water was comming from the stock jacket..i also got the OSE jacket.. nice and dry now..

Thanks guys for all of the replies