Thread: M445 and M545

Default M445 and M545

I just received my first new octura props. I knew they needed to be worked but was still surprised at how raw they are. I intend on using them on my 29 inch Sprintcat. It's a nitro layup that sat in a closet for 14 years before I bought it still brand new. I have a T180 and two 4082s 1500KV and 1800KV. This is a 6S boat. Twice the size of my apparition which is about the same length. Plan is to start with the 1500KV. Then if temps low swap in the 1800KV motor.

Question is besides S&B any std mod done to these props? Such as rounding the tips and/or cupping? Also is there an advantage to detounged X445 over M445?
    41" & 29" FE Aeromarine Sprint Cats, Quickdraw powered "Dollar Eater" 41" Insane Cat, 29" BL mod Graupner Cat, 24" Hydro, 29" OB Cat, BL mod NQD Tear Into Jet boat, 55" Scarab, JET SWEEP R/C pool skimmer Rescue Boat.

First off, the the m445 is detoung so I would'ent bother with a x445, I'm not sure but the x props are lifter props.
    I don't personliy round the tips but have played alittle with cupping but I don't have the proper tool to do so, cupping I believe narrows the cone or shape of the thrust the prop creates, all in all it is an art when it come to modding props.
    There is great info on prop mods on line, try to google fe prop mods and i'm sure you will come up with something, and now that I responded to this post you will
    get more responces I know some one has the link to do this type of prop work.
    good luck and maybe you'll turn into a prop pro.

Just S & B to start with, then one mod at a time to see how it runs. You will probably mess a few up but that is how you learn.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

From what I have experienced, cupping does narrow the trust cone. Which to me the less water I throw up in the air and the more I push it straight back, The more forward force. It also reduces prop lifting. However too much cup will kill RPM. Here's a SS prather I worked over. I cut the cup in on the face rather than try to bend tiny a amount on the edge.

IMG_2912.jpg
    41" & 29" FE Aeromarine Sprint Cats, Quickdraw powered "Dollar Eater" 41" Insane Cat, 29" BL mod Graupner Cat, 24" Hydro, 29" OB Cat, BL mod NQD Tear Into Jet boat, 55" Scarab, JET SWEEP R/C pool skimmer Rescue Boat.

M445 is not just a de tongued x445, the X has more blade surface thus pushes more water (faster) and in my opinion is a better overall prop, but definitely all FE props should be de tongued. The tongue aids in take off acceleration and thats all really, and a de tongued prop will rev higher (all other things being equal) and be faster. X props are not lifting props but do have some lift. Cupping the prop increases pitch which will increase speed (to a point) and will take some lift out of the prop.
    We call ourselves the "Q"

I have an x642 on a single motor 36 inch Genesis with a 1600kv motor, 3/16 in flex and run on 6s. Would the M445 help to reduce initial take-off torque-roll, but provide better top-end speed?
    Pete

Motley Crew, Impulse 31, Zonda Cat, Genesis, Aqua Rider tug, E-Revo Brushless, Slash4x4

no the bigger prop will actually have more torque roll.
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Quote Originally Posted by petej View Post
    I have an x642 on a single motor 36 inch Genesis with a 1600kv motor, 3/16 in flex and run on 6s. Would the M445 help to reduce initial take-off torque-roll, but provide better top-end speed?
    I think the x642 is the perfect prop for the Genesis......not too much diameter but pitch for speed. I wouldn't go any larger diameter. The boat is gonna roll no matter what you do, its very narrow
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

I appreciate the advice. Thanks.
    Pete

Motley Crew, Impulse 31, Zonda Cat, Genesis, Aqua Rider tug, E-Revo Brushless, Slash4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    I think the x642 is the perfect prop for the Genesis......not too much diameter but pitch for speed. I wouldn't go any larger diameter. The boat is gonna roll no matter what you do, its very narrow
    yea this hull does roll easily but ive had the best luck with an x648 believe it or not. the x642 was super slow on it. heres a video from yesterday with the x648....

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was