Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swap Shop Suggestion

I'm not sure if it's my crappy tablet, could be but, I can't load a SSS 4074 into my cart. It keeps asking me to choose an option and the only option is a cooler, I click on that and it doesn't work.

Just letting you know. I like it so far, no complaints.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    I have only posted a few times in that manner Mr. Sunshine and I do show a little respect
    Doug "Mr. Sunshine" Smock...has a nice ring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    I'm not sure if it's my crappy tablet, could be but, I can't load a SSS 4074 into my cart. It keeps asking me to choose an option and the only option is a cooler, I click on that and it doesn't work.

Just letting you know. I like it so far, no complaints.
    Ray, had it occurred to you that you could have just "send" a PM to your shopping cart?! And your problem would "magically" disappear....
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Hit me in thehead with a hammer and call me stupid but, that went way over my head....

No worries, I was just going to check basic shipping rates to FL.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Ray, had it occurred to you that you could have just "send" a PM to your shopping cart?! And your problem would "magically" disappear....
    Nortavlag Bulc

Default Swap Shop Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Hit me in thehead with a hammer and call me stupid but, that went way over my head....

No worries, I was just going to check basic shipping rates to FL.
    To me, it means if you sent a PM about the item then the problem would get deleted. Pm'ing is a problem in items for sale threads..
    It makes since if you don't think about it... lol
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    Maybe a rule could be added...
    Yes... and a tax, and some more guidelines, and punishments, and maybe we could subsidize some of the for sale threads while we're at it. People aren't smart enough to think for themselves. What we need is a group of elected officials telling us what to do, and making sure those of us that choose not to still get our share.

Hmm...I feel like I've seen this somewhere else before...

The problem with the swap shop isn't the rules, or the lack of rules. It's the idiots who are sending PMs to mods saying that they think they are entitled to something more than someone else (or whatever else they're PMing about). If you want something and it's worth the price, buy it. If you want to make a lower offer because you don't think the item isn't worth the asking price, you shouldn't be upset if someone else gets it, because you've already decided you didn't want it at that price anyway...nothing lost. If you DID think it was worth the asking price but decided to offer less just to try to screw the seller out of a little more...HA! I say you got what was coming, and I applaud your time spent cheating yourself out of a good deal, and providing a moment of entertainment for the rest of us. Way to step over a dollar on your way to pick up a dime.

Spartanator, just to be clear, my comments are not personal comments to you, I just used your quote.

I sometimes get people who ask about boat builds, and after I take the time to quote them something out, they offer a lower price or ask "what's the best price you can do for that". That's the part of the conversation where I say "I think you may have come to the wrong place for a boat."

Default Swap Shop Suggestion

Keith, my thread that I sold my mean machine was one of those threads.
    Someone wanted it for a lower price, I wasn't to sure... Then he tried to force me into making up my mind that second. Well, I gave it a half hour and someone else came in and offered asking price.
    Long story short.... I got dozens of angry replies in thread and pms from the guy all pissed off I sold it to someone else.
    The mentality of people is just beyond my comprehension....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Quote Originally Posted by Luck as a Constant View Post
    Keith, my thread that I sold my mean machine was one of those threads.
    Someone wanted it for a lower price, I wasn't to sure... Then he tried to force me into making up my mind that second. Well, I gave it a half hour and someone else came in and offered asking price.
    Long story short.... I got dozens of angry replies in thread and pms from the guy all pissed off I sold it to someone else.
    The mentality of people is just beyond my comprehension....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I remember that thread. I laughed (please forgive me) so hard till I was in pain. Your MM was so nicely built.....
    I agree with Keith, if I see something I want and the price is within my capability, I will honor the seller's asking price. Otherwise I would walk away, if it's not meant to be mine, then why muddle up someone else's thread. Buying from people who have a track record also helps, I think these people know the true value and they are not trying to pull a fast one.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by keithbradley View Post
    "what's the best price you can do for that"
    Oh man. I get this all the time in my day job. I always want to say "the one we gave you". Another favorite is "I got a price from the other guy of X, can you do it for that?" To which I want to say "nope, give it to that other guy that's going to screw it up" Keith, you mean to tell us you don't build them just for practice?

It rarely occurs to me to offer less on the swap shop. I always think I'm either willing to pay the asking or I am not. Maybe twice I've considered offering less.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Oh man. I get this all the time in my day job. I always want to say "the one we gave you". Another favorite is "I got a price from the other guy of X, can you do it for that?" To which I want to say "nope, give it to that other guy that's going to screw it up" Keith, you mean to tell us you don't build them just for practice?

It rarely occurs to me to offer less on the swap shop. I always think I'm either willing to pay the asking or I am not. Maybe twice I've considered offering less.
    I do build some for practice. Every personal boat I build is something "experimental". I haven't built a "proven setup" type boat in years. If I already know something works well, it's a waste of my time to build it for myself. My boats are all practice boats, and they all help me learn how to build them better. When I build one for you though, you're gonna have to reach for your pocket book (not you specifically but you know what I mean...). I've had a waiting list for boat builds for 3 years, and that's not gonna change any time soon. When someone tries to beat me up on price it really is a total waste of my time and theirs. It's like you've been waiting outside an exclusive club, hoping to get in. When the bouncer finally says "you" and points at you, signaling you to go in, you stop and tell him you think the cover charge is too much and you want a better deal. Nice move, idiot.

I'll "lowball" someone from time to time. If I see an item that someone is obviously having a hard time selling, I might think to myself "self, what's the most you would be willing to pay for that". Once I've answered my own question, I'll take that amount and offer it. If the seller accepts, I feel like I've helped him out by giving him some cash for something he was sitting on for a while. If he doesn't accept the offer, I'm not only fine with it, I'm usually relieved, because 90% of the time I'm making an offer on something I don't really need. I waste more money doing this type of thing than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by keithbradley View Post

Spartanator, just to be clear, my comments are not personal comments to you, I just used your quote.
    Keith, no worries. Very hard to offend me unless you mention 3 certain things.... My Dog, Offshore Cigarettes' or a Classic Car.

I REALLY like that Twin Donzi you are putting together... Take a kidney for trade? Just kiddin', lol.
    I should read the rules more as well as others. If someone does say "What's the best you can do" on a price I would be more than tempted to say "The one Posted"! lol

I am often relieved as well when someone turns down my offer because by then I found something better or that I actually WANT.

I thought of the new rule.... YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ANYTHING FOR SALE!
    Last edited by Spartanator; 03-01-2015 at 11:46 PM.

There' only one minor hiccup on this thread cuz he had about a 5 minute delay posting a pic...............BUT, this is how a sale thread should look.

Quality item to start with in this case, fair pricing but he wasn't "cheap selling it" either. First guy noticed that it was fair and instead of dickering around for 10 bucks less etc.................he simply said I will take it, paid, was shipped and he replied that it got there safely............

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...1515-1Y-2200KV
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

There' only one minor hiccup on this thread cuz he had about a 5 minute delay posting a pic...............BUT, this is how a sale thread should look.

Quality item to start with in this case, fair pricing but he wasn't "cheap selling it" either. First guy noticed that it was fair and instead of dickering around for 10 bucks less etc.................he simply said I will take it, paid, was shipped and he replied that it got there safely............

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...1515-1Y-2200KV

Well almost. You can't see it but there was one post that had nothing to do with the thread & two posts (butted in) that shouldn't have. All were deleted.

So this is a good example of what happens here. As short and sweet as it was, that thread required a moderator four times.

But you are right. It would be fantastic if they all "looked" that way without a little help from your friends.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Yes sir, I had one I cant find now but it was "perfect" in that sense, a mod gave a thumbs up on it at the end.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

In addition to the "Ignore" feature , there should be an " Avoid List" feature so buyers and sellers can ear mark certain names and avoid dealing with the listed ones. That way unnecessary conflicts can be avoided.
    Different Strokes For Different Folks......

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    In addition to the "Ignore" feature , there should be an " Avoid List" feature so buyers and sellers can ear mark certain names and avoid dealing with the listed ones. That way unnecessary conflicts can be avoided.
    Different Strokes For Different Folks......
    Lol......great idea!
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Maybe a trader rating system. When you go the profile of the seller/buyer they have a rating? Almost along the lines of having X amount of red flags bans your from the Swap Shop.

Hopefully that Swap Shop stays around, I like to see what comes through there. So glad I am not a moderator, I'd ban myself... lol

These toy boats are sure getting on the expensive side.

The one thing I really cant stand is the listing of a great product at a very fair price and the first reply is where they offer 10 bucks less............trying to widdle down a fellow rc boater. If someone cant afford to pay $175 for a Neu motor, how is paying $165 gonna help them realistically.............they need to get out of the hobby and put their money towards feeding their kids if their budget is that tight.

The one thing I really cant stand is the listing of a great product at a very fair price and the first reply is where they offer 10 bucks less............trying to widdle down a fellow rc boater. If someone cant afford to pay $175 for a Neu motor, how is paying $165 gonna help them realistically.............they need to get out of the hobby and put their money towards feeding their kids if their budget is that tight.
    So you pay asking price on everything?

If it is a fair deal, yes. In fact I don't think I have ever offered less in the six years I have been a member here. If its out of whack on price I just don't mess with it.

I'm mainly talking about the tiny discount...............just so they can feel like they won, I have been in the car business 25 years and the customer needs to feel like he won.........here it should be different.

Why?

I don't think letting it go for $10 less would kill the deal for me (unless I don't like they buyer). If it was mine and he offered $165 I'd come back at him with a $170 Shipped Priority Mail. Now if someone is asking near new price on an item that is a hard sale then I bite on them a little bit. I have a small RC budget so what's in the PayPal account is what the budget is until next check. It's important to let the buyer to THINK they won.... haha

Small budget as in my Slash 4x4 is about to sit without a motor and ESC for the next year. Getting a new toy boat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Why?
    Because this is supposed to be a boating fraternity..........linked by a hobby we all like and are interested in. Heck, the forum members even gift others at Christmas.......giving things freely to other members. I am not saying to pay whatever someone posts as the price................like $500 for a Feigao motor, I'm talking about the ones that know the price is a good deal and have to cut it just a hair. It really looks ridiculous to offer $190 on an item listed at $200 if its a good deal. So in this case the item is worth 190 but 200 is way too high and out of the question?? C'mon.......its nit picky and petty. I guess I have a different view of it being in retail sales for years. I get a real kick out of watching the "10 dollar cutter" get taken out by the next guy who pays the full/fair price and then throws a fit. Its happened a bunch and it serves 'em right.

Fair price is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Fair price is in the eye of the beholder.
    That is true

Great points from both gentlemen!
    I have walked in this path as both of you have described and fared well, although I am sure many people here privately would think I tend to over pay. The bottom line is it depends on how badly I want the item and how quickly it will be snatched up , these two factors in the end dictates the price.
    I also choose carefully who I buy from. If a picture looks good and the feel is right , then I buy. But if there are lingering questions after seeing a picture and asking the seller then no matter how desirable the item is I would give myself sometime to cool down, and if during this period someone else gets if, I am OK with that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12