Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swap Shop Suggestion

Default Swap Shop Suggestion

In light of so many people who are either uninformed or couldn't be bothered to follow the rules, I wonder if it is at all possible to have a check box in the section like when one is closing a financial transaction. One must read and agree to the terms ( rules) before allowed such endeavors.
    It will be a pain for people who have sold and followed the rules, but it seems REPEATED admonishments by Moderators goes ignored by these people.
    I truly don't get it, as I take a tremendous pride in observing the rules and so do 99% of all the other members. Why let the 1% of them ruin our day?
    Another way is to have the Forum remember the names of members who have sold items without violations and exempt these people from having to do the check box. First time sellers must go through this process.

I don't know, may be I am being silly again, but it bothers me that the rules are being ignored and Moderators have to spend their time going after these people.
    Last edited by tlandauer; 02-19-2015 at 12:03 AM. Reason: spelling
    Too many boats, not enough time...

It's really sad that I see guys that have been around and know the rules blatantly ignoring them.
    Good thing I don't have mod status otherwise I would just ban them before they could make a sale thru pm.
    Unfortunately, the more these threads show up, the more the mods want to just be done with swap shop all together I'm sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

I cant stand the scenario where the OP says "all forum rules apply, no pm's" then the VERY FIRST reply post is 'PM sent'!!!! WTH???????????? Just happened again!

What in the world can be so secretive about a freakin prop or hull for sale that they cant just type "how long is it", "are there any scratches" etc etc............................ i imagine cuz its some sneaky BS.

We're not selling top secret military items here...................for Pete's sake!
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

A lot of times PM sent means that they are exchanging PayPal info. I do not want my email in the open so the bots can get it. Not going to lie, I have bought something via a PM. It didn't come in the condition that was advertised.... Poor FASTech.... I won't be doing doing that again, lesson learned....

I don't like to post tracking numbers either, if it is a UPS tracking number the delivery address could be changed. I have some of MY stuff re-routed to my work.

Unfortunately rules will always get broken. I think 2016 will be the end of the Swap Shop..... Hope not...

Possibly a 24 hour rule on offers????
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Here's rule #5

5. The first reply post that shows intent to buy pending more information in the thread (NOT via PM) is first in line to buy the item.

'PM sent' is not "intent to buy" in the thread............ and 'NOT via PM' is .......well..........not via PM
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

I know that but sometimes the seller doesn't like that first offer, then gets a second offer, maybe even a third-All of which were higher than the original. Is the seller "allowed" to say no to the lower offering guys and sell it to the higher buyer? I have read the rules but I just find grey areas in certain spots, or maybe I am just over thinking it.... lol

My take on that is if someone offers 60 on a 100 price, then the seller should at least counter back to the first poster...........or state that the price is firm. If someone else offers an acceptable price before the first guy replies, I would sell it.................the first guy shouldn't have been lowballing which 90% of folks do here. If the item is priced fairly why not just pay a fellow boater that price, folks on here acting like saving(pinching the seller) 10 bucks is gonna stop them from having to dig out of a dumpster for dinner

I lowball every now and 5 minutes.... There is lots of good deals here but we still pop lowballs out.

What if a guy priced a NIB leopard 4074 at 40 bucks..........................you gonna offer him 30 or quickly buy it before someone else does?

I love this conversation. Let's keep it going...
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    What if a guy priced a NIB leopard 4074 at 40 bucks..........................you gonna offer him 30 or quickly buy it before someone else does?
    I might.... Just depends who it is..... If it was Someone who I have delt with before then probably pay that asking. This isn't a retail shop so I do not want to pay retail prices.
    It might erupt into a bidding war...
    I doubt you want to pay everyone's asking price though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    I love this conversation. Let's keep it going...
    It might get interesting....
    Last edited by Spartanator; 02-27-2015 at 01:10 PM.

I think it should be like this:

Part for sale, 60 bucks or best offer.

Guy a says he'll give 40 for it.

Seller hasn't responded just yet....

Guy b comes along and says I'll pay what your asking....

First off the seller said Obo...the asking price is the best offer and the offerer needs to understand he's taking a chance. Now had the seller agreed to the 40 bucks, well it's sold to him even if a guy comes behind and offers full price (once the offer is accepted the item should be considered sold no matter what at that point).
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

A seller can sell to whoever he/she wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    At the end of the day yes, but some get irritated when 3 people offer differently.... The first offer is a lowball, 2nd offer is a mid ball, 3rd is asking price and the seller picks the last offer which is highest. It's not really confusing but I keep overthinking it.

If it has a price I will make an offer, even if it's $5 below asking. I've paid over asking before.... I've been told to pick my price before, I don't say: OK, $10 for a $40 item...

Sorry Tim, mind of de-railing your thread...

The PM deals do piss me off. No pictures is super annoying too. Some of the rules are silly IMO

You can't offer additional information about something being sold unless you are the seller. If you see a sale item that you are familiar with you should be able to vouch for it's quality. The rule mongers immediately send messages to the mods about bumping a buddies sale item. I wouldn't "bump" a sale item for my mother. I would say "I've seen it, it's a nice build, I've had my butt kicked by it". If I saw an opportunity for a fellow boater to pick up something nice I would like to help do that. But noooooooooooo. Rule violation! Rule violation! Delete! Delete!

Incidentally, I don't blame the mods for that. They're only trying to keep their in box from exploding. I might even get a text from one saying "Cut it out tool! I got stuff to do today."

If there was a radio button saying you read the rules would guys read them? It will be like loading software. Yes yes yes continue install yes ugh ugh ugh yes just do it already. There's a box on the NAMBA form where you verify that you've read the rule book. I still know guys with multiple years of race experience that haven't read it.
    Noisy person

Maybe a rule could be added that you must know about what your selling, no exceptions. If you don't know something about it then you need to post a feeler thread (need a feeler thread section).
    In that thread, other people could post info about it and then the seller could QUOTE them in the FS thread.

Hold the prop, MAYBE you must run a FS thread past an admin/moderator before it goes in the swap shop....? Would waste time but would prevent 4 posts saying you need a price or pictures... That's 4 bumps for you brown nosers that are sending a PM to the mods/marshals. Getting 4 PMs about the same post or thread is annoying....

To be honest, I think several would just click yes multiple times and then lost the thread. I'd read it every now and then but eventually just click yes. Could put a timer on it? 12 minutes seems fair...

What if a "sale helper" sent a PM to the seller....

If
    And
    But

Spartanator, I hope my comments don't seem argumentative to you, they are not at all meant to be, my emoticons don't work and I would be adding my "peace signs" I use quite often.

T.S., Yep the PM thing is "sneaky". If the first poster says "PM sent", rule violation to start with, what can they be asking? If they want the item they should post in the thread, if they have a question(will you ship to Canada? etc.........) about it they should post in the thread for all to know the answer. Those are the only two valid comments/questions at this point. If they are asking for the paypal addy they should have already posted that they will take it in the first post.....................and of course if they are offering the usual lowball they should also post it. Either way, the "PM sent" reply is bogus and sneaky at that point.

I too however have posted a comment about the item or defended the OP's price, knowing full well it would get deleted and my motive is solely for the OP. I have even PM'd the OP to tell them to stick to their price and not even entertain all the lowballs. I really don't have a personal reason to say these things, its just that ethical/friendly behavior towards the seller seems to lack much of the time.

Spartanator, I hope my comments don't seem argumentative to you, they are not at all meant to be, my emoticons don't work and I would be adding my "peace signs" I use quite often.

Don't worry about offending me or anything like that, I am pretty much un-offended unless you mention my Dog, OffShore Cigarettes', or a Classic car....

EDIT: No worries, this thread is kind of an argument anyways. No harm done over here.
    Last edited by Spartanator; 02-27-2015 at 10:28 PM.

T.S., Yep the PM thing is "sneaky". If the first poster says "PM sent", rule violation to start with, what can they be asking? If they want the item they should post in the thread, if they have a question(will you ship to Canada? etc.........) about it they should post in the thread for all to know the answer. Those are the only two valid comments/questions at this point. If they are asking for the paypal addy they should have already posted that they will take it in the first post.....................and of course if they are offering the usual lowball they should also post it. Either way, the "PM sent" reply is bogus and sneaky at that point.

I too however have posted a comment about the item or defended the OP's price, knowing full well it would get deleted and my motive is solely for the OP. I have even PM'd the OP to tell them to stick to their price and not even entertain all the lowballs. I really don't have a personal reason to say these things, its just that ethical/friendly behavior towards the seller seems to lack much of the time.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!
    Last edited by tlandauer; 02-27-2015 at 09:03 PM.

I too however have posted a comment about the item or defended the OP's price, knowing full well it would get deleted and my motive is solely for the OP.
    Regardless what your motive is it causes us unnecessary work and is not at all appreciated.

There are several guys that do this.
    Danny perhaps we should try other methods to get a handle on it.
    It would of course be much better if they would show a little respect and find something better to do with their time.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Isn't it crazy that you actually have to say that? Strange times we are living in fellas...

Another thing which I don't get, if that certain buyer is trying to ask something other than being underhanded, and let's not pretend that he or she doesn't know the rules, then, in the name of FE Boats, why would this person advertise "PM sent"????? Not that I recommend to be underhanded, but that just begs people to get up set , even if the subject of the PM was really not designed to seal a deal in private. It is understandable that some people just have to ask questions in private and I suppose there really is no way to prevent and stop them from doing so.
    I have done that, because I had a question I thought if I posted in the open might attract negative opinion from other potential buyers and it would not be fair to the seller, and i am well aware that only I would come up with such a question , I PM the seller and right on the top I explain and told him after the answer I will resume my normal procedure. The seller in this case is 100% aware of my intentions and is put at ease that I am not trying to pull a fast one.
    However, I will absolutely abide by the rule and ask such questions in the open if the seller writes specifically "all questions need to be posted in the open, no PM would be answered". then it is the seller's call and he or she should not get upset if one's question might ultimately reduce the opinion/value of the product that is being sold.
    Please feel free to correct me, I am by no means trying to write a "how to", just reflecting and thinking out loud.

Doug, I've refrained from commenting on the sale forum to keep the piece.

Is it okay to send a PM to someone asking about an item to tell them what you know about it? That seems harmless.

The last purchase I lost to a PM offer sold for 80% of what I was willing to pay. So I got hosed and the seller missed out on $50 on the sale.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    Regardless what your motive is it causes us unnecessary work and is not at all appreciated.

There are several guys that do this.
    Danny perhaps we should try other methods to get a handle on it.
    It would of course be much better if they would show a little respect and find something better to do with their time.
    I have only posted a few times in that manner Mr. Sunshine and I do show a little respect

I have only posted a few times in that manner Mr. Sunshine and I do show a little respect
    Nice....
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post

........ I think 2016 will be the end of the Swap Shop..... Hope not...
    I hope not, I really love this place! I know it is difficult for the moderators, may be it is not wise to incite resentments??
    It will be what it will be....
    I will do my part to abide by the rules and conduct myself in an honorable way, that is all I can say from my end.....

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Doug, I've refrained from commenting on the sale forum to keep the piece.

Is it okay to send a PM to someone asking about an item to tell them what you know about it? That seems harmless.
    Absolutely.
    It would be great to allow it in the thread. Unfortunately........................
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post

I guess it would be unless you post that you sent a PM.... .lol

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    I guess it would be unless you post that you sent a PM.... .lol
    Yeah don't do that or you'll get a visit from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBxTT2Th9s4 LOL
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by doug smock View Post
    yeah don't do that or you'll get a visit from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbxtt2th9s4 lol
    lol....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast