Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: DF pirate 35 build

Luck, that looks fantastic! Well, your work looks good always, but just to say it again! and , haha, yesway!
    I used 105/206 for a couple years now, they are great. I will give 207 a try. Joel used that on my H&M Intruder's inlay, what a fabulous job.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Very nice looking
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

Thanks brosef. Gonna do the hatch tonight.
    Glorious

There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

As nice as that boat is gonna be it deserves all new stuff!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-XO-1...-/181592720227

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...am-castle-1717
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

[QUOTE=Luck as a Constant;615356]Keith kinda guilted me into it lol
    But I'm super happy I did... It's the small things that make it next level.
    I really like the 105/207 also, because it's crystal clear. No yellow whatsoever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/

I used the zpoxy a few times before and then Keith and Joel convinced me to use the 207/105 and wow it sure makes it easier, I found its not as "sticky" and you have so much more time to work with it. Plus like what you said, it looks way better when done!
    Michigan Fast Electric SAW Club
    Revolt - 76.9mph...Building a DF35- Project Mono

Whoa! Nice inlay!
    The water jacket that Make a Wake posted says it will not fit the XO-1 motor that he linked to on Ebay.... Not sure...
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Oooops, if you go that route check it out first
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Yeah I noticed they are different.
    I'm just not ready to make the decision on a motor yet.
    I appreciate the link and I see it's the last one left.
    I still like the nue motor a bit more.
    Anyways... Here's the cowl.
    There's basically two layers. I sorta layed pieces everywhere cause 1 full piece gets awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Luck as a Constant View Post
    Yeah I noticed they are different.
    I'm just not ready to make the decision on a motor yet.
    I appreciate the link and I see it's the last one left.
    I still like the nue motor a bit more.
    Anyways... Here's the cowl.
    There's basically two layers. I sorta layed pieces everywhere cause 1 full piece gets awkward.

Great work, I agree with you, I do the same and it still looks neat IMO.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

today i gave the hatch a twist... and its like a piece of steel now. West systems is the ticket.

Someone show me a nice motor mount for the 1717 x01 motor that isn't the etti mount....

Dont know if these guys even sell anymore.........I'm not setting up an account to see..........but here's one.

http://fightercatracing.com/index.ph...art&Itemid=97#
    Attached Images Attached Images

yeah that is nice. i wonder if it would fit the x01 motor with cooling can...

Travis might be able to get ya one if you cannot, if you ask nicely... That is a good looking motor mount though...
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Luck as a Constant View Post
    today i gave the hatch a twist... and its like a piece of steel now. West systems is the ticket.

Someone show me a nice motor mount for the 1717 x01 motor that isn't the etti mount....
    Give Dave @ HRC a shout, he's got the cooling cans and the mount. You'll probably have to Email him. http://hrc-mfg.com/

I can make a mount for any of them , if you have coin I have time
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

HRC is who i have been racking my brain to think of, thanks. I got a couple mounts from him in the past, nice stuff!

How many layers did you use to make your hatch feel strong like that? And do you trim the edges before it's fully cured or after? And how do you make cf stick to fiberglass? I find that it still doesn't bond as well as it does to carbon fiber. If you don't mind, could you please share your inlay process for the hatch step by step? Your cf work looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    HRC is who i have been racking my brain to think of, thanks. I got a couple mounts from him in the past, nice stuff!
    Yes he really does some nice stuff and he will do custom work if he's not busy doing orders for vendors. It's easy for me to get stuff from him, he's in our club and only lives about 7 or 8 miles from me.

Looking good , i love my 35" DFP , west systems is the only way to go .I have the 4092-1480kv with the T180 . IMGA0522.jpgIMGA0225.jpgIMGA0267.jpg
    www.facebook.com/Boaters and Crawlers Durham
    Durham Off Road Rc Club - www.dorc.ca founding member

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    Yes he really does some nice stuff and he will do custom work if he's not busy doing orders for vendors. It's easy for me to get stuff from him, he's in our club and only lives about 7 or 8 miles from me.
    I have 4 mounts from Dave now. Each was tweaked or completely custom based on what I was looking for. Two of my coolers were also first off's as he hadn't spec'd them yet for some TP motors. Great guy to deal with and his work is top notch.

I might sound like Dave's Marketing department, but I really believe we need to sustain the people who perform this type of Service for us RC'ers with a viable business.

Quote Originally Posted by rearwheelin View Post
    I can make a mount for any of them , if you have coin I have time
    Got any pics of stuff you've done?

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaddix View Post
    How many layers did you use to make your hatch feel strong like that? And do you trim the edges before it's fully cured or after? And how do you make cf stick to fiberglass? I find that it still doesn't bond as well as it does to carbon fiber. If you don't mind, could you please share your inlay process for the hatch step by step? Your cf work looks great!
    Read this.
    http://www.kbbforums.com/carbon-fibe...ial-t1041.html
    The biggest thing is using the west system.
    I did a comparison of it with zpoxy on two pieces. I just costed some cf cloth in each and let it dry.
    The zpoxy actually broke fairly easily. I could actually pull the fabric apart like sheets of paper... Way to brittle. the west system you cannot even barely bend let alone break or delaminate it.
    I would never use anything else at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Skidoo View Post
    Looking good , i love my 35" DFP , west systems is the only way to go .I have the 4092-1480kv with the T180 . IMGA0522.jpgIMGA0225.jpgIMGA0267.jpg
    Nice one!
    I have all the same hardware except I bought the dual speed master rudder.
    Was wondering how space would be cause I am still waiting on hardware, but looks like I'll be ok

Thanks, will definitely give the west system another try! I used it before but found the price a bit too high for the 207 hardener. Where do you get yours?

I bought it locally at west marine.
    Yes it is very expensive I agree. 41 for the 207, almost 50 for the 105
    Then another 18 for pump system.
    I'm sure online it can be had for much cheaper but whatever..
    I'm so happy with its performance the cost doesn't bother me anymore

Actually online it's more expensive. The shipping is what kills it. I've been using this resin from composite envisions which I found really good! I got a gallon for about $80 which is a steal. Compared to west system it's nearly identical in its properties. It's very thin once you mix it so it wets the fabric out quickly, especially if warmed up, and i use the fast hardener (which is still slow...) which gives more rigidity vs slow ones, that's what I was told and so far I've noticed the difference. I like that it's rock solid but still has enough flex that it doesn't just crack if bent excessively. I agree, the cheap zpoxy is very brittle and should be avoided at all cost for lamination or any serious cf work. That stuff is good for clear coating and cosmetic work where strength isn't a priority. A good way to see the quality of resin is when you peel it off of a squeegie once done laminating. The cheap stuff just cracks. Good resin is the one that has a bit of flex but feels as solid as metal when fully cured. I'm pretty happy with mine, not sure why I want to try west system again, maybe i just like the name of it! I find that most marine grade resins of this level are essentially the same when used properly.

Also, i don't trust those pumps. I use a scale to measure mine. I'm paranoid about wrong ratios, like if there is some resin already inside of the pump and then you pump more through, it just seems too easy to mess it up. With a scale you get 100% each time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaddix View Post
    Also, i don't trust those pumps. I use a scale to measure mine. I'm paranoid about wrong ratios, like if there is some resin already inside of the pump and then you pump more through, it just seems too easy to mess it up. With a scale you get 100% each time.
    +1
    Get a 100g scale. It'll pay for itself in wasted epoxy. You can also easily seal the tin back up and avoid it thickening. Few of us, if any, use enough epoxy for it to make sense to use the pumps.

Default DF pirate 35 build

I'm sure what you have is good stuff.
    As far as getting it to stick , I sanded the cowl with 80 grit automotive sandpaper. Really rough it up good.
    I find that sandpaper for wood is just terrible for fiberglass, the automotive stuff will cut it up nice for a solid bond

As for the west system pump, as long as you pay attention to the directions that come with them on setting them up for the product and size can you have, there no mess no question.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast