Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumas 45" Scarab

Default Dumas 45" Scarab

So some time ago I picked up this hull for a smokin' deal from the LHS and I am finally getting around to building it. It was intended to be gas but never saw the water. These are pics of how it arrived:
    BTW, not what was paid for it

well,,, except that Proteus

I over the past year have taken a few pokes at it here and there. First was picking up the Proteus motor and I have an old Swordfish 240HV here to go with it

Next I did not like the stuffing tube alignment so I turfed that out as well as the Rx box and just did a general good cleanup As well as taking off that terrible winsheild that makes this hull look like a 20ft runabout:

As you can see I also ran across a STOCK cockpit for this baby . I did some extensive searches for these parts including writing to Dumas to no avail UNTIL... A fellow named Ken ( KenNJ) came onto the forum building this exact hull but with a custom cockpit area in mind( which he did masterfully BTW). So this is pretty much where this build will start, mounting that cockpit I think. It does seem to have its obstacles... such as it being warped a bit and just not cut out too square and there is every possibility that the hull opening was trimmed extra.

I have other bits as well such as my cable, rudders, and turn fins.

Tagging-along, will be a great build, i followed Ken's build as well. Too many great builds here. Wish I can retire and just do this 24/7. lol......

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
    Too many boats, not enough time...

I'll start my 54" Scarab eventually

Quote Originally Posted by rickwess View Post

I'll start my 54" Scarab eventually
    These big ones do seem to just sit in the background for awhile,hey Rick? I am looking forward to getting going on this. I have thoughts of a moulded plexiglass windscreen for her, something a bit more rounded on the top line. Any ideas are welcome guys.

I did some rough mental math of the cost just before Christmas and had a shudder.

I'm also procrastinating reinforcing that massive bow. I figure one long bulkhead that sits in the keel and the groove in the top deck (can see that yours has that), but I'm a big guy with meat hooks for hands and sausages for fingers. I can't even touch the bow when I reach in from the hatch opening.

A plexiglass windscreen would look nice. What immediately popped into my mind was a style used on the Hydrostream's, but just keep the tapering off going towards the stern.

main.jpg zodpuq.jpg

Mine has a windscreen built into the fiberglas of the top deck. Interesting design, but makes sealing the hatch a PITA...........another reason for the procrastination.

Yes.. That is what will look good. I wonder if the master plexi former can pull it off? We will see.

Yeah! It has begun.

I have the same hull, 1000kv on 6s to keep a scalish speed, great hulls and run very true............solid. My avatar is it..............
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_NJ View Post
    Yeah! It has begun.
    Yes it has Ken. Worked on doing some trimming this morning on that cockpit. Also tried heating the backside over some blocking material to straighten it out. Had some luck but I think some wood stringers will be necessary. There is lots of room within the hull so it'll be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    I have the same hull, 1000kv on 6s to keep a scalish speed, great hulls and run very true............solid. My avatar is it..............
    So that 1050kv on 8s shouldn't be too bad either. Though if I wire her up with a power block I do have 4 6s 3300mah cells. She should run for a bit on 13,000mah.

I'm running 6s2p 10,000 mah and she goes quite a while, I'm fairly low amp draw though..............
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Though if I wire her up with a power block...........
    I was thinking of something similar. Have you built one before?

I was thinking of something similar. Have you built one before?
    Just my 2p adapters Rick. I just finished 4 of em for the R-42 as that is going 6s2p per side. Again 3300mah. I just run 1/8"copper thru connectors. Don't see why I couldn't do the same for 4p. I am contemplating getting the R-42 ones gold plated though, I would think it would help. And probably more so with 4p.

I've made 2p adapters as well:

DSC_0032.jpg DSC_0033.jpg

For a 4p set-up, I was thinking of a literal block that could be mounted on the hull between the battery banks. Same idea as a 2p adapter, but using potty epoxy (black) to encase everything. The battery side connectors would come out the top and the ESC side connector(s) out one end. There could even be a post for a spark arrestor.

Maybe an expanded version of this http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...d=hef-h%230007 this would be a good subject(this hull)to experiment on. Mega room and I doubt some extra weight will hurt the ride, LOL

That's the concept exactly. Adding caps between the row of posts would be easy.

Unless you plan on giving small children rides, there's not much you can add that will affect the ride of these hulls.

I have been slowly picking away at this cockpit thing. It is coming.

Cut, trim, epoxy, go to work, wake up next morn....

So I got each of these blocks glued onto the FG cockpit area then proceeded to glue those to a piece of 1/8" ply in order to get it all straightened out.

Then I am glueing sides onto the blocks and ply edge. I'll get the other side tonight

I am thinking Velcro for the moulded plastic interior side boards.

The basics of the cockpit area are done so now moving on to fixing it in there. I figured a couple brass tube pins in the rear part of the pit that slide into rubber grommets that are fixed to the hull. This is what I have so far

And the cockpit pic of course. I am not sure about a seal around this yet or if I even need one. I am leaning toward maybe a 'sandwich' seal by putting wood all around the hull opening. I do figure the front of the cockpit will just rest on something it the front.

Looking great Shawn, I'm just getting caught up on things here and surprised I missed this. The cockpit fitting looks like a job of its own. Seeing that motor sit in there with the white around looks really nice. A molded type inside with gleaming white finish would look just right on this build. I think you were asking about that before...no real luck yet. The best I've seen is white G-10, it would work great but finding any in appropriate sizes hasn't happened yet. What are your plans inside?
    I was kinda liking the old windshield but once added smoked glass, lowering the height, raking the angle back and painting out the trim I realized it would still fall short of what you'll dream up. Should be very cool, good score on the cockpit!

Dang, I guess I missed another cool build! I really like that hull! When your done we want some video! haha
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Thanks guys, I kinda got away from this the past couple weeks finishing up my Twin AC mono up and then my blown front diff on the REVO. Hopefully this week will see some progress on the Dumas.
    Next weekend the R-42 is back to me so I better get some done here.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    As you can see I also ran across a STOCK cockpit for this baby . I did some extensive searches for these parts including writing to Dumas to no avail UNTIL... A fellow named Ken ( KenNJ) came onto the forum building this exact hull but with a custom cockpit area in mind( which he did masterfully BTW). So this is pretty much where this build will start, mounting that cockpit I think. It does seem to have its obstacles... such as it being warped a bit and just not cut out too square and there is every possibility that the hull opening was trimmed extra.

I have other bits as well such as my cable, rudders, and turn fins.

Looking good. That looks to be a hatch for the 55in kv and not the 45in s-type. I built a 55in kv along time ago and that hull had a slight curve on the deck.

It is for the 45". May be the same mind you.

Well at last the cockpit is resting in its place on its own.

I had to build all around the hatch opening with wood so that I had a nice snug fit. Time consuming and boring but it had to be done.
    So about the windshield, some research has led me to these pics

image.jpgimage.jpg

Which lead me in the direction of working with my 'as supplied' windshield with some mods done.

You did get it to fit nicely. First thing that comes mind.... what are you going to do about painting it!?

The as-is windshield does look a bit large.

Wow Shawn, that cockpit and side pannels came out nice!! I'm sure you'll get the windshield figured out perfect!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_NJ View Post
    You did get it to fit nicely. First thing that comes mind.... what are you going to do about painting it!?

The as-is windshield does look a bit large.
    My airbrush guy said he would be up to the task. And... I am thinking of changing some of the area at the flat edge of the opening and behind windshield. Maybe some straight black or something. I am not a fan of that 'tiger stripe' look.

I did some rough mental math of the cost just before Christmas and had a shudder.
    I have the same Scarab kit sitting in my basement, brand new, in the box. You're right about these big hulls sitting around for a while before getting built. I put together a bill of materials to build the boat brushless, and also gas as a cost comparison, and got major sticker shock both ways. I've paid less for actual cars before!

That being said, once I can get over the sticker shock, its gonna get built. No way would I sell it
    Aquacraft Revolt 30, Aquacraft Lucas Oil Cat
    Dumas 44' Coast Guard MLB (undergoing restoration)
    Dumas 55" Wellcraft Scarab 38KV (NIB kit)

So a little update here, this is the layout I am going with, motor up front laying flat, flex using 'S' bend, batteries on sides, and radio gear in the rear. I am really considering the 12s2p format though 10s may be better. At 630kv I think 12s is not unreasonable. but we'll see. I am just thinking this way because I may buy new batteries for this and the R-42, anyway enough thinking aloud.

So to mount this motor in here I am using 4mm 'well nuts' which I found on a motorcycle site. I located the holes through my empty mount then used a Uni bit and my NEW knuckle gun/drill. That is the 'well nut' on the right in first pic:

These little guys are a great option, but because the mount is 5" exactly and these 'rails' are 5" exactly, I will need to mill some bosses into the mount so it will slip down over the little(1/16") lip that holds these nuts from falling inside.
    So out comes this little toy:

But I needed to order a special new piece for it, A milling table.
    Last edited by srislash; 03-25-2015 at 09:19 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast