Thread: MB L Works GP 335

Default MB L Works GP 335

Thanks Ray S for the kit , easy guy to deal with . Looking forwards too the build .I hope it's V2 IMAG0291.jpg
    www.facebook.com/Boaters and Crawlers Durham
    Durham Off Road Rc Club - www.dorc.ca founding member

Yes it's V2, my pleasure. Now to build my Whiplash... much more work than the ML but, I'm fond of Whips....lol... hehe... as long it's the GF holding it.

I'm going to home depot tomorrow and buy a piece of 12" x 24" tile if there is something there I like to build on.

My buddy made a good point, glue 2 pieces of 1/2 MDF together... I don't have much room though.
    Nortavlag Bulc

HD sells 1' x 2' MDF. The problem will be that the CA will stick very nicely to it.

I use parchment paper or shelving paper. Parchment sticks but, shelving paper doesn't. Parchment peels off very easily though...
    Nortavlag Bulc

It's always got a bow in it and for a Whip I want FLAT, very flat.

Quote Originally Posted by rickwess View Post
    HD sells 1' x 2' MDF. The problem will be that the CA will stick very nicely to it.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I use recycled milk bags for my west systems res application and you can manipulate 2 part marine foam , when it's dry it peels off .

I have a flat long piece of aluminum stock , maybe part of a lathe . i got it from a buddy who was moving , now i see why i kept it . Ill show a pic and measurements when i get a chance LMK what you think , i got too get more clamps .

Yep, you'll need clamps but not too many for this boat, not like a whiplash.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I used about 19 clamps when I epoxied the top skin on the tub off my GP310. I really wanted to ensure that there was good contact everywhere. Princess Auto has 4", 6" and 9" clamps at a good price. I wish I took a pic.

Question.......What's the best primer and paint to use on these? Is there any issues getting the primer to stick to the wood sealed with epoxy?

After you have epoxied the outside it will need to be sanded with wet paper of ? grit depending on how thick & uniform the epoxy is. After that primer and paint. Epoxy primer is always the best and the sky is the limit for painting.

There are only a couple places in Canada that sell Klass Kote that some swear by but, I don't know paint well. I left my 40 Whip in just Epoxy because I like wood :)

I bought some Klass Kote in MI last summer so, I'll give it try this spring.

You have to sand epoxy and it's good to wash it off with soap & water after to remove any 'stuff' left after curing. It's like working on Gel coat at this point.

Some nice person told me a trick to applying epoxy thin and even. Use an old white cotton t-shirt, the kind of cotton with no pilling over time. Just apply with cloth and wipe excess off. Worked really nicely. Might need 2 coats doing this sanding in between. I use MAS because i've had it for a year. I'll try West Systems next time I need some.

You want good contact? I use blue foam or pink foam block, glue it in and sand the contour with the wood that needs to be done just before skinning. I use lots of glue but, I always over kill builds unless it's a spec class.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I must have gotten quite a bit of epoxy on the outside of the sponson skins while bonding them because the sealing epoxy coat did not go on uniformly. No big deal, it's all sanded now. I thought I shouldn't use too fine a paper so the primer can get a better bite. I used 200 grit and got the shine off the epoxy.

I'll look around for epoxy primer. Too cold to paint in the garage and I'm not allowed to spray in my basement workshop anymore due to the smell.

The 200 sounds about right. Its a balance of getting all the grain filled in but, not over doing it either, been there with the 40Whip.

The only spray bomb 2-part epoxy primer isn't easy to come by. I think I went to Guelph'ish area to get some and not cheap either.

If you use epoxy primer, you better have a proper mask like I do, your dead meat if you don't. Any paint fumes from a can are bad.

I've used eastwood I think http://www.amazon.com/Spray-Epoxy-Pr.../dp/B0043YP8EC but, I drove to the place that retailed it. There are 2 kinds one fast cure other slower cure, I've tried both, they work but, you need good conditions, LOW humidity or its crap.

I'm going to try the sprayer I got with the paint, got the compressor just need moisture trap. If I want more paint, the closest Canadian place is Manitoba that sells it. They didn't return my message about shipping to Ontario though?? sucks...

There is one part epoxy primer but, never tried it. With spray bombs it comes down to good conditions and that's not easy outdoors in Canada
    Nortavlag Bulc

Composites Canada look like they have epoxy primer and gloss top coat. I'll see what they recommended. It looks though like a large'ish expense to get property setup to spray a small boat.

yep
    Nortavlag Bulc