Thread: New revolt owner....question on new collet and shaft saver

Default New revolt owner....question on new collet and shaft saver

Hi, new revolt owner (used boat). First thing I wanted to do was to replace the stock shaft and collet with the better set from Kintec racing, along with a shaft saver. At first glance, the new collet is longer than the stock one. It looked it might be to long by itself, much less, it dôesnt look like there won't be room for the shaft saver. What are my options here? Should I cut back a little of the stuffing tube a little? Put some washers between the motor mount screws and the motor? Or neither?

Thanks,
    Mike (fairly new to boats)

here is a pic.....you can see the size of the new collet along with the shaft saver in the lower part of the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, your only reasonable modification is to cut the stuffing tube a bit. However, if you use the collet properly, i.e., use some anti-seize compound bought at auto parts store, put a bit on the collet where the prongs face the inner cone and on the threads.
    http://www.permatex.com/products-2/p...bricant-detail
    This is very important as this will eliminate metal to metal galling and allow you to tighten the collet further without damaging the machining.
    I adhere to this practice and have not relied on a cable -saver.
    Never put washers between the motor and the mount plate, the motor needs a flat surface to rest on and the washer will not provide that, short of relocating your motor mount you have no choice other than cutting the stuffing tube.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

The Octura short version 5mm to .150 collet is slightly shorter than the stainless steel TFL collet, about the same as the black one, but still I don't see enough clearance ....
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...ct-ocfhe5mm15S

I do have a tube of Permatex on order. I will use is and skip the saver. Thanks also for the tip on the motor mount.

I used one of these collets . I had to pull the motor and mount together, install the collet and put the motor back in. Then unthread the collet until it hits the stuffing tube you can then push the flex shaft into the collet and tighten it down. You'll get enough clearance to run but not enough for a shaft saver. kind of a PITA but isn't too bad.

I've only lost the stock flexes. I am horrible on my boats, I don't use never seize and I quite often cycle from full reverse to full forward (don't ask why) And I still haven't lost an upgraded shaft. I'd forget the shaft saver if it was me

Or cut the stuffing tube. No biggie

Quote Originally Posted by turbovr6jetta View Post
    I used one of these collets . I had to pull the motor and mount together, install the collet and put the motor back in. Then unthread the collet until it hits the stuffing tube you can then push the flex shaft into the collet and tighten it down. You'll get enough clearance to run but not enough for a shaft saver. kind of a PITA but isn't too bad.

I've only lost the stock flexes. I am horrible on my boats, I don't use never seize and I quite often cycle from full reverse to full forward (don't ask why) And I still haven't lost an upgraded shaft. I'd forget the shaft saver if it was me

Or cut the stuffing tube. No biggie
    May I suggest an alternative way: The wood platform is easily stripped and the ensuing headache is not worth it.
    You DO need to take the motor down, but not from the wood, just loosen the M3 machine screws on the front and loosen the set screw on the collet. Pull the motor away enough to have the collet drop. Reinstall the new collet and tighten the set screws and reattach the motor on the mount.
    Try not to disturb the wooden screws as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    May I suggest an alternative way: The wood platform is easily stripped and the ensuing headache is not worth it.
    You DO need to take the motor down, but not from the wood, just loosen the M3 machine screws on the front and loosen the set screw on the collet. Pull the motor away enough to have the collet drop. Reinstall the new collet and tighten the set screws and reattach the motor on the mount.
    Try not to disturb the wooden screws as much as possible.
    This is probably a good idea. I have had great luck pulling the wood screws out and puthing them back in but it seems like just about everyone strip them out.

If you do decide to pull them just make sure you don't "tighten" them. Just barely snug is all you need.

Reinforce the threads or rebuild them with CA and they'll last forever. I'd you want a cheap shaft saver just slip an O-Ring or piece of silicone tubing onto the shaft between the collet and stuffing tube.