Thread: Offset Tub In Scale Hydros.

Default Offset Tub In Scale Hydros.

Guys.
    I'm building up a 1/10 scale Miss Renault hull with the offset tub. Never set up an offset tub before before.
    When setting up the driveline do you make it in the center of the tub section (like I assume the real ones are) or in the centre of the boat?
    This boat will be used for oval racing.

Any info would be appreciated.
    Cheers.
    Paul.

Hey Paul....

Maybe something I can help you with....LOL I had asked Mike at ML Boatworks the same question on my 1/8 scale. The kit he sent was the offset kit...so the driveline would be centered in the middle of the tub section, not the actual centerline of the boat.
    At least that is what was explained to me...made sense so on the 1/8 scale the motor is actually offset about (1/2") 6mm to 7mm to the starboard. Being 1/10 scale I would guess that the offset would be to the port if your having to race counter clockwise.

Hope that helps a bit....

Mike

I'm building the 1/8 8255 kit from ML and I'm putting the motor on the center line of the boat, thats how it is shown in the build thread on here from ML.
    Hope it's right.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...highlight=8255
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Thanks guys.

Mike.
    I have set up drive lines in some sports hydros offset 6mm or so, & the 1/8 U-95 is 7 or 8 mm I think. But the offset tub on the 1/10 Miss Renault I'm building now, is a 3/4" off set in the middle of the tub from the center of the boat. I was just wondering if that was too far.
    Since this boat will be running clockwise, I have transposed the bulkheads & tub etc to suit.

Pescador.
    I've recently finished one of those 8255 kits (Executone) for a fellow club member, as you know, & he has set the driveline up in the center of the boat as per the link you posted. We both used that build thread as a reference.
    I'm also building another one now for another club member. I'm pretty sure he will follow suit with the driveline.
    The center of the tub is 1" off set from the center of the boat in that hull.

But I guess it worked in the full size boats so I guess it should work in a scale model.

I just wanted to know if it creates any handling difficulties. Or does it handle any better. Especially in relation to 1/10 scale.

Cheers.
    Paul.
    Last edited by 785boats; 01-27-2015 at 03:28 PM.

Hey Paul....

That does seem a little much. Logic would tell us that with a 1/10 scale it might be around the 5mm range...not more. Would there be some characteristic about the 1/10 scale design and clockwise turning pattern that would call for more offset like that? Interesting....Ummmmmm

I thought I had seen someplace another 1/10 Miss Renault build.....wonder if they used an offset in that one. I'll let you know if I find it.

Mike

Mike.
    Whether set up for left or right turns the offset of 3/4" remains the same either way.

Cyberhoops did get back to me over on R/C Groups & he set his up in the middle of the tub with no ill effects.

A Duh!! LOL Sorry.... Your right...the prop is still turning in the same direction (and your offsetting for prop torgue) Wouldn't make any difference which way you were turning...LOL My Bad!! See I'm catching on here!

Learning all the Time!

Thanks

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    Guys.
    I'm building up a 1/10 scale Miss Renault hull with the offset tub. Never set up an offset tub before before.
    When setting up the driveline do you make it in the center of the tub section (like I assume the real ones are) or in the centre of the boat?
    This boat will be used for oval racing.

Any info would be appreciated.
    Cheers.
    Paul.
    Center the motor in the tub section, center the strut between the front sponsons on a straight line drawn from them to the transom. Then use a soft S bend in the stuffing tube to line it all up.
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

Thanks Don.
    That sounds like a good plan.
    Cheers.