Thread: Hairline cracks in new proboat impulse 31 v2

Default Hairline cracks in new proboat impulse 31 v2

Hi there,

I just purchased a brand new proboat impulse 31v2 from LHS and I noticed there's hairline cracks on the bottom front section of the boat. is this a big concern? I don't anything to go wrong with it since its brand new. Can anyone tell me if this would be covered for replacement warranty? Or if I'm okay to use the boat?

Thanks!

Pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    Pictures?
    IMG_2660.jpgIMG_2661.jpgIMG_2662.jpgIMG_2666.jpg

When I press down on the area with the cracks it barely opens up a tiny bit but doesn't look bad. I'm new to boating so I'm unsure if this is a big issue. The question is should I get it replaced or should it be okay to run? Thanks
    Last edited by bayrackobama; 01-11-2015 at 08:52 PM. Reason: needed more details

That's not right. I would return it and get it replaced. It will only get worse with use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it definitely looks like it's been abused a bit.
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Im thinking it could have been dropped during shipping? To my eye it doesn't look too bad. Is it common for these boats to crack so easily during shipping? I'm afraid to get another one with the same issue or worse run it and have water leak through and sink it.

I really appreciate the replies guys

Quote Originally Posted by monojeff View Post
    Yeah it definitely looks like it's been abused a bit.
    Do you mean it looks abused like its been damaged during shipping? or are you saying it looks like someone abused the boat by crashing it then having it reboxed?

Def take it back, I've purchased 5 used boats and none had any damage like that.

I agree! And I suggest you contact Horizon Hobby Customer Service ASAP with photos in case your LHS would not take it back.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

It looks like it hit something. In one pic I see scuffs. Could be the light. If you didn't hit anything and it's not scuffed, I'd be calling probation and getting another. It's normal for the top and sides to get minor hairline cracks from flipping it but the bottom is thicker and should not Crack like that.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

My version 1 Impulse 31 didn't look like that out of the box (post#3), still doesn't. Factory box was beat up pretty good from rough handling during shipment.

I've heard of hairline cracks in the canopy (version-1's) because the glass in that area is on the thin side. I've read enough threads / posts on that topic to know that I should add a layer of glass to the inside of the canopy to prevent cracking.

I agree with pistol18 and tlandauer, that boat needs to go back for replacement. You paid 400 bux for a pristine boat, not that crap!!

Thanks for the input guys! I'll contact the HS to see what can be done. I'm glad it's winter here in Canada because I don't plan on running it until spring. I don't want to void warranty by adding fibreglass but once I'm out of warranty then I'll be sure to add extra strength. I'll let you guys know what happens

It does not look right that's for sure !
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Also - I'd be suspicious that the cracking is not just restricted to the paintwork. Most likely the resin has cracked through as well, leaving just the glass matting holding it together. One decent crash and you may well tear it apart. Powerful torch shone through the hull might show up any resin cracking. Def go back to LHS and see what they say.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA
    || 2 x SV 27R || Impulse 31 - ver1 || Traxxas Spartan || Kintec Pursuit || Zonda Cat 41" || Insane FE30 || OuterLimits 870mm || TFL Ariane 36" || ProBoat Zelos 48 ||

Bad mix on the gel coat in the mold, it went off too hot and srank. That also means the hull is very weak and very likely not true. Send it back ASAP!

Default no good

.NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

No question, take it back and do not take no for an answer from your LHS, replacement or money back, if you have receit which is not older than 30 days and original packaging....They should be the one dealing with Proboat on this issue, not you.

Douggie

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    No question, take it back and do not take no for an answer from your LHS, replacement or money back, if you have receit which is not older than 30 days and original packaging....They should be the one dealing with Proboat on this issue, not you.

Douggie
    I just received an email from my LHS that basically said that it will be taken care of so I'm sure there will be a replacement sent. I appreciate all the great answers guys. Now it's time to wait and see what happens. It's in the hands of HH.

I just got a call earlier today from the LHS saying that HH will send me a new hull at no cost or I can get a complete new boat in a box but I'll have to pay for the shipping. I chose the free option so new big deal. I decided to test the boats electronics today in the nice cold canadian lake water. Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it