Thread: Admirals general questions continued

Default Admirals general questions continued

A good 2s 5000mah should get the job done for duel in the pool.

Hello again Trigger.I think I'm in pretty good shape to start off in the 3s mini class, I have a Mini Mono and a Gp1 with stock motors.

I have some big boats id like to talk about though, I'll start off with my Thunder Tiger Atlantic Motor Yacht.I got it used for the price of a bare hull since it had a bad motor.The stock motor is a 29mm outrunner, its the size of a Mini Mono motor so I feel that its far to small for a 30" 4lb yacht.I want it reliable enough to use in scale events and maybe even use at times in the 2s races.Instead of investing in a motor for that I decided to just buy a water cooled motor mount so I can use my Quanam Aquaholics stock electronics in it.They were kind of perfect for my intentions, the motor is a similar kv its just just bigger, plus the esc is rated for 2s-4s.

I read that the -34" Offshore classes have a 2050kv limit, so I bought a Venom 2000kv outrunner to replace my Aquaholics old setup.I just need to buy an esc for my Aquaholic now, the motor bolted in like a stock replacement.I actually have a 60a 4s only esc I can use if I need to, id just like to buy something bigger that's more reliable before I race that motor.I just like beefing up my electronics instead of risking them, but I just wanted to make sure my plan is legal and won't be frowned on.

Also I have a 32" catamaran hull and a 4074 2000kv Leopard.Is the overall length measured or just the hull?Its a bit longer then my two 30" mono hulls so I'm kind of scared and id like to measure it just in case I need to plan on moving the rudder or something.I think the hulls around 30", 32.5" including the stern instead of just the sponsons and since I haven't built it yett it might end up near 35" total, I'm not sure.

Thanks alot for your time, I needed a thread like this so I can prepare for spring without bugging you guys during an event.

Captain,
    All our classes are based around limited power (except open), meaning stock platforms, for example the AQUA craft 2030kv, hence the 2030max KV rating within the racing rules. That said there mixed emotions around this motor, so there is a line in the sand, but so long as the motors are comparable to a AQ2030kv then we tend to roll with it. The power rules are often a point of conversation, so it’s a bit of a watch this space.

The aquaholic with the venom sounds like it fits the bill for offshore.

The Cat hull size limit is based on the hull only, not total length. But the 4074 motor is large for the Cat class, you would have a massive power advantage. The director may let you run, but any points attained may not count. But there is also the open class, people run all sorts in that, Spartans, riggers, twin set ups the list goes on and on. So either way you’ll have a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by trigger View Post
    Captain,
    All our classes are based around limited power (except open), meaning stock platforms, for example the AQUA craft 2030kv, hence the 2030max KV rating within the racing rules. That said there mixed emotions around this motor, so there is a line in the sand, but so long as the motors are comparable to a AQ2030kv then we tend to roll with it. The power rules are often a point of conversation, so it’s a bit of a watch this space.

The aquaholic with the venom sounds like it fits the bill for offshore.

The Cat hull size limit is based on the hull only, not total length. But the 4074 motor is large for the Cat class, you would have a massive power advantage. The director may let you run, but any points attained may not count. But there is also the open class, people run all sorts in that, Spartans, riggers, twin set ups the list goes on and on. So either way you’ll have a blast.
    Thanks again, my Aquaholic was my biggest concern.I'm not trying to overwhelm myself with a half dozen boats my first season, so I'll just run my Mini Mono and Aquaholic until I can afford a more suiting motor for my catamaran.I can use that 4074 in another project I have anyway.I'm not trying to create any issues, just make my boats as nice as I can afford to.

Craig

Are there outlets to recharge? Do people bring in tables to tape up etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan - You mean the pool event? If so, yes there are outlets, although a power strip would be handy. I remember there being only a few outlets but we all managed to share them (Just). Yes we bring tables too.

Yes the pool event. Do you generally have enough for multiple heats. Wondering if there is time my son and I could use the revolt in separate heats

Good question, but it simply depends on how many come out on the day. If everyone in the club who has an Offshore boat turned up there would be many heats.

Don't forget too, and not to sound harsh as fun is what we want, we will need to quickly assess skill. This is to keep everything safe for everyone. Assuming everyone is as good as needed, and there are two+ heats, great. Worst case and assuming one heat, he could run against my son and have a kids heat.

It all just depends on number of people in attendance and timing since we share with the scale boaters. Again the pool is space limited, and the pool walls are not kind to boats. It is great fun, but accidents do and will happen.

Thanks for the info. We are impba members and understand your need to asses skill in such a small boating area. We plan to come anyway and race however we can fit in. I'll bring the boats that I think could fit and let you guys decide when we get there. How early can we arrive and setup and what do the scale boaters do? Just have to order some 2 cell lipos.

Dan,

That sounds great.

The pool should be open with a swim club in there till noon, if you get there first, just go in and let them know you are with the admirals and ask to set up, they normally don't mind at all. I got there 20mins or so early last year and it was a none issue.

Scale guys just fun run, and play around, looks good if there are a bunch in the pool at the same parading around. There is everything from subs to tugs to paddle steamers, depending on who turns up.

Quote Originally Posted by trigger View Post
    Thanks again for the help and being patient with me.I had a lot of fun at the events I've been to so far.

I think my biggest problem right now is attending the monthly meetings.I pre packed some projects the night before the last 2 meetings but I don't get home until after 6, then I have a 50 mile drive into traffic.I plan on helping during the pond clean up on the 11th.Is there anything I can bring that might be useful like trash bags, a rake, or Tug Boat?I'm guessing I can pack anything I want and leave it in the car until I need it.

The club is about having a good time and enjoying the hobby, the open water is a bit more serious, with a lot more racers. If you liked the pool, open water and all the different classes is going to have you foaming at the mouth, and buying a boat for every racing class.

The meetings are tough for me too, and I'm yet to attend one, but generally we all have email and the forum, so one way or another info gets passed around. The meetings are not mandatory.

For clean up day, we generally pick up winter trash, trim back any bushes, generally spruce up the area, and run some boats too. Tools, gloves, boats, batteries, tables chairs, chargers, drinks, are all good ideas. I'm hoping Mike will chime in, but I think the plan is to run a full schedule of events that day.

I was expecting things to be more serious outdoor.I had enough fun last time that I'm happy focusing on racing my 17" tunnel hull in the mini class.I have 4 offshore boats now, so I'm just going to bring the smallest one first and find out how it performs.I have enough now that I can try to relax and work my way up.

After reading that list I think I need a wagon more then anything lol.Thanks alot

Spoke to Mike, the 11th/12th for pond clean up, is weather dependant - we will be setting out the oval course, while we do that, no boats will be on the water. If you wish to clean up the bank and chat with the group, thats fine.

First racing event will be the 26th. This is when the fun really begins.

That sounds great.I just want to help and try to hang out more often since I had trouble attending the meetings.I'm sure you'll mention it on here if weather interferes with that.

Yes we most likely will. Keep a check on Facebook too, theres always live updates there too.

How large a battery is needed to finish an offshore race?

Well thats a loaded question as it depends on how hard your pushing. But......

In general people use a 5000mah, of course more will give you a cushion. I personallly use a dinogy 6000mah 65C.