Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Motor heat

3. yes..timing no matter how many poles is going to increase heat the more you advance it..yes certain types of winding work better with more timing

4. it never hurts to ask questions, but you found the limit prop wise..the motor couldn't generate the torque it needed to turn the bigger prop..so yes it slowed down, but also if the motor doesn't fail, it will find a weaker link to do that. be it the speedo, or battery or connectors..i have had motors slow down when over propped, but pulled them in when noticed it, as not to burn up something..im not saying your tp motor failed, but if you kept track of everything, it was putting strain somewhere else in the electronics..

Thanks for the reply and staying on point Ray.

On no. 4 - When we get open water here I'll be running the over-prop thing again. Still confused. I pushed the TP with a $50.00 Turnigy Marine 120. I thought for sure this would go before the motor. It was fine after a full run and 165 degree motor. Not even a thermo. I guess the next time I'll run it till something explodes or quits in order to find the weak spot. :)

Doug
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

I recall some peoplesaying that the Turnigy or Hobbywing esc's had a govenor that made it harder to pop one BUT, I had no trouble in 2013 at Michigan melting both a 2030 and a T120 with a M445 on my PTSSH. Thinking a faulty motor was the fault of both components going up in flames, I tried the same setup with a YEP type 150 amp esc. Three laps later same result.

Quote Originally Posted by DPeterson View Post
    Thanks for the reply and staying on point Ray.

On no. 4 - When we get open water here I'll be running the over-prop thing again. Still confused. I pushed the TP with a $50.00 Turnigy Marine 120. I thought for sure this would go before the motor. It was fine after a full run and 165 degree motor. Not even a thermo. I guess the next time I'll run it till something explodes or quits in order to find the weak spot. :)

Doug
    This spring I will test the 2030 motor I still have in my PTSS (bought used here on OSE) with a 4255 grim prop or M440 x3 blade I used at the Nats... got my clock cleaned but, it didn't melt down, temps were 120F'ish. Then I'll try the motor coming from Doug as well as a new 2030 from the LHS and a new PB 2000KV motor to see what works the best.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234