Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 West Florida Model boat club, Sarasota, FL

weather looks decent for Sunday, I'll be there.

Wish I coulda made the races Bill. Wifes Bday is today, although shes working but spending time with her tomorrow and gettn to Ackerman for Sunday. Just cant do it all....

Also got an interesting email and invite to go run on a lake but its on the east coast. ill fill you all in at the meeting Sunday.

I'm Back and there, Ray I need my Keys...

The guys who were at the lake today already know but, I was a RC pilot long before becoming a RC boater and seems I've gone full circle back to flying being my passion. I'm finding it harder and harder to get myself to the lake when winds are favorable for flying. And, I recently bought a turbine airframe that I need to raise some funds for the engine on.

This mostly a heads up to club members that I'm going to be listing quite a few things for sale later on after shooting some photos. Most of the complete boats will be local pickup only so pretty much gives club members 1st shot there. I do have some smaller items though that I'm willing to ship so listing them here ahead of time. If you want something speak up.
    Low use Castle Hydra Ice 240 (6 or maybe 8 runs in my Avenger cat before I converted it to twins) $150.00 cash to fellow members.
    Neu 1530/1Y with 8mm shaft that I put about 4 runs on in the Avenger before deciding it's kv was just too low for 6s use. Should be a killer 8-10s motor though. $200.00 cash to fellow members.
    That's enough for now. I have a couple of vids from today that I need to get processed so going to work on that for a while.

Bill,

That is not good news.

I'll still be around Ray. Just not as active (committed) as in the past. I'll be keeping at least two of my boats.
    If the breeze is from the north or south, I'll show up at the lake but days when it's coming east or west I'll be a couple miles further south.

Hey guys,
    I got some good news today. Thank you to Chris Ds contacts within the county and his persistence with them, we have authorization to run at Bennet Park which is off the SR64 exit and the lake actually sits right next to the interstate. Basically you go down the road next to the Walmart and follow it back. Apparently there are new bodies in at parks n rec and they are excited to bring entertainment to Bennet Park. They are looking for ways to draw people in and Im sure we can do that and perhaps have a new and better place to call home.

A few things to discuss and figure out if we want to use it.
    The county, just as Sarasota did, wants us to prove we have them listed as insured, however, I do not want to do that until we have all had a look at it and discuss the pros and cons.

A few cons:
    1. Access to the lake. parking is a bit away so carting of some sort will be necessary as well as those who do not have them, investing in some sort of table to pit off of.
    2. We will probably be standing a bit lower than we are now. there is a small dock located there but haven't been on it, but Im pretty certain it is not as high as our bank. Perhaps we could clear with the county that we can drive one vehicle with a trailer/ drivers stand down to the lake side on our run days. I haven't been there since the park was still under construction so cant recall exactly how far parking is but its not lake side for sure.

Pros:
    1. There are BATHROOMS!!!!!
    2. As mentioned above, the lake parallels I-75. We will be noticed instead of hidden.
    3. It is a smaller lake than Ackerman, it runs North and South and is a bit more protected. Chances are we will have more of the better condition days than we have at Ackerman. Although I have seen it blown out on strong North winds.
    4. Did I mention Bathrooms?

I propose as many of us as possible meet there either a run day morning or we go there on an off week Sunday to scope it out. And those that can and want to we can hit Ackerman afterwards for some running. I know if I drive that far I want to get a boat wet.

Let me know what you all think

And a big thanks to Chris for having an in. When I talked to the county about two years ago they wanted nothing to do with us. So Im glad theyre getting their head out of.... and new people are in there realizing we could in fact be good for them.

There is also a nice pavillion where we could have cook outs and we'll probably be able to host bigger events on a annual or semi annual basis. I propose we hold a meeting there in the near future so we can walk the grounds and plan out a way to get everybodies equipment to the lakeside. The distance from parking to the lake is the biggest con but I'm sure we can come up with a way to make it easy for all.

Im not familiar how far the pavlion is, but the club i went up to Ocala to run with takes over a large pavlion. They rope it off to keep others out and walk their boats about 40yards or so to the water.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Im not familiar how far the pavlion is, but the club i went up to Ocala to run with takes over a large pavlion. They rope it off to keep others out and walk their boats about 40yards or so to the water.
    The Pavillion is where the restrooms are, it's not that far to the south end of the lake. But I don't think that would be the ideal end to setup the course. https://www.google.com/maps/place/To...03a738a1?hl=en

so is this closer to tampa then akkerman?
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    so is this closer to tampa then akkerman?
    Yes, by about 20 mins.

I look at this lake every time I come down and nobody is ever there. I think us running will draw some attention as it is totally visible from the interstate. Im game. Let me know when.
    Blackjack 29. Deltaforce 33. Cheetah twin, Insane FE30
    1/10 1970 PaynPak, Aeromarine Jersey Skiff

Quote Originally Posted by rdcracer View Post
    I look at this lake every time I come down and nobody is ever there. I think us running will draw some attention as it is totally visible from the interstate. Im game. Let me know when.
    Cool Rich, it'll deffinetly be a little closer for you and most everybody else in the club. Except for the guys that come from way south but it's only about 15-20 mins more and it's easy to get to directly off the interstate by about the same as Ackerman.

The dock is about 3ft off the water and I'm sure I could come up with some sort of portable platform to put on the dock for run/race days they also have a fenced in lot that is all but empty that we could possibly store equipment in. But this is all stuff we would have to work out with Parks and Rec. when we get to that point. The possibilities are almost endless at Bennett park if we get the copperation I think we can get.

Guys,

Here is pic of Bennet Park with the course layout. I have been there several times, and I can tell you it is a very, very, very long trek from the parking lot to the dock.

Quote Originally Posted by RayR View Post
    Guys,

Here is pic of Bennet Park with the course layout. I have been there several times, and I can tell you it is a very, very, very long trek from the parking lot to the dock.
    That's why we need to have a meeting there so everybody can see how the place is laid out. and like I said we would need to figure out a way to get everybodies equipment down to lakeside, via Golfcart with a wagon of some kind or something like that but I think it's doable. And granted lakeside access will not be as easy as Ackerman but the lake, grounds, and facilities are way nicer than Ackerman and IMO that more than makes up for it.

is that white path/road usable? if it is but not parking then if allowed we could drive down it and unload then drive back to parking....maybe co will work something out

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    is that white path/road usable? if it is but not parking then if allowed we could drive down it and unload then drive back to parking....maybe co will work something out
    Yes Ron, it's a nice shell path/road wide enough to drive down and there is a area at the dock on each side of the path to set up tables and canopies. That's just stuff we'll have to work out if we all decide to move there.

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    Cool Rich, it'll deffinetly be a little closer for you and most everybody else in the club. Except for the guys that come from way south but it's only about 15-20 mins more and it's easy to get to directly off the interstate by about the same as Ackerman.
    I dont think it is really that much farther from them. I would say about 10 min

What is the grassy area that is central to the lake? Why do we need the course by the dock. By the photo if we set up the course centered it would be closer to the parking. How about this for a drivers stand June 10th Race 093 (web)3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

The grassy area is Scoccer fields, the thinking was that the dock could double as the drivers stand.

Man...I am behind the ball here. When you guys go please let me know when. Lets have a look see.

Quote Originally Posted by HRC View Post
    Man...I am behind the ball here. When you guys go please let me know when. Lets have a look see.
    For sure Dave, we're gonna plan a day real soon for everybody to meet at Bennett and check the place out.

I still haven't gotten around to shooting any pix of stuff to sell yet (but have been making progress on my Rookie II build and the turbine is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday)
    Here's something that might be of interest to someone looking for a STD class boat.
    Aeromarine Mean Machine hull, & hardware with a pair of T120 ESC's and Hitec HS225MG sterring servo installed. Speemaster .187 stingers, .150 flex cables etc. $200.00 cash, local pickup.

glad someone bought that twin cheata bill ... I might have pulled the trigger on that one lol

Careful Ron. It's not gone yet. I'm still waiting to see the paypal transfer.

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

I spoke with Parks and Rec and want to get the ball rolling on possibly using Bennet park in Bradenton.

Lets all meet at 9:30 at Bennet Sunday morning. We will not be running there, only to have a look so we can discuss options and see what it has to offer. We will then proceed to Ackerman for our normal run.

the address is
    400 Kay Road, Bradenton 34208

It is off exit 220 which is SR 64 in Bradenton. You will go west of I 75 and I believe Cypress Creek Blvd runs on the west side of walmart. you will turn North. Follow that back and it turns into Kay and the park will be on your left.

Bill, if you wouldn't mind, please make a note on the website

Gracias

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast