Thread: Questions: P-Limited Motor Connectors & Boat Balancing

Default Questions: P-Limited Motor Connectors & Boat Balancing

Hey Guys, I have a few questions on my builds.

1.) The Aquacraft motors come with 4mm connectors already attached. Is it alright to cut those off and upgrade to 5.5mm connectors or do they have to stay to keep the motor 100% stock?

2.) I'm working on the layout of ESC locations and wanted to know if there are any opinions out there regarding the balancing of the boat. Should the boat be as balanced as possible? Or is there any advantage to having a little extra weight on the inside of the turns (right side)?

3.) Could you guys provide any advice on front to back balancing? On a hydro, I've heard its best to have the center of balance at the tail end of the front sponsor. Is there a good starting point for a mono and cat? Like right in the center? Or maybe a third of the way from the rear? My mono is a 32” Pursuit and my cat is a 32” River Cat/Apparition.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide,
    Dave Howarth
    Have fun with that....

im not sure what organization your club is affiliated with..but namba you can cut plugs off and or de solder and use bigger connectors

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    im not sure what organization your club is affiliated with..but namba you can cut plugs off and or de solder and use bigger connectors
    Yes, its NAMBA.
    So no problem upgrading those connectors... good to know. Thank you.
    Have fun with that....

Quote Originally Posted by dethow View Post
    Hey Guys, I have a few questions on my builds.

1.) The Aquacraft motors come with 4mm connectors already attached. Is it alright to cut those off and upgrade to 5.5mm connectors or do they have to stay to keep the motor 100% stock?

2.) I'm working on the layout of ESC locations and wanted to know if there are any opinions out there regarding the balancing of the boat. Should the boat be as balanced as possible? Or is there any advantage to having a little extra weight on the inside of the turns (right side)?

3.) Could you guys provide any advice on front to back balancing? On a hydro, I've heard its best to have the center of balance at the tail end of the front sponsor. Is there a good starting point for a mono and cat? Like right in the center? Or maybe a third of the way from the rear? My mono is a 32” Pursuit and my cat is a 32” River Cat/Apparition.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide,
    Dave Howarth
    Hi Dave,

Below is the link to the NAMBA Rule Book. You will find what your looking for in Section 28-D (1-d-i). I would also suggest that you read the other sections that apply organized heat racing. Knowing these rules will only help you in the long run.

http://namba.com/content/library/rul...a_rulebook.pdf

Regarding boat layout... do what works best for the boat and makes sense for reasonably short wires AND still allows you battery adjustment as you start to run the boat. Regarding Cats and Monos, I wouldn't worry much about trying to add additional weight on one side or the other. You will want to keep it balanced about the centerline of the boat.

As for CG location from the transom of the boat; For mono's the general rule of thumb is 27-30% of the boat length while on the bench. This will be fine tuned to your liking as you test and drive the boat in race water. Terry and Tom would have a good starting number for you since they both have some valuable experience racing the Pursuit.

I don't have any suggestions on the other hull. Maybe someone who has some experience HEAT RACING the boat can offer some input.

Later,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    As for CG location from the transom of the boat; For mono's the general rule of thumb is 27-30% of the boat length while on the bench. This will be fine tuned to your liking as you test and drive the boat in race water. Terry and Tom would have a good starting number for you since they both have some valuable experience racing the Pursuit.
    So on 32" long cat and mono, my CG location should be between 8.6" to 9.6" from the transom? And that's with batteries in the boat?
    I understand this is only a starting point. I want to set the CG location with my battery in the middle of the tray so I can adjust either forward or back once I run it on the water.
    Have fun with that....

Quote Originally Posted by dethow View Post
    So on 32" long cat and mono, my CG location should be between 8.6" to 9.6" from the transom? And that's with batteries in the boat?
    I understand this is only a starting point. I want to set the CG location with my battery in the middle of the tray so I can adjust either forward or back once I run it on the water.
    Really your best bet is to contact Tom or Terry. They will be able to give you a much more direct answer about the Pursuit hull. What I gave you was a general rule of thumb.

I don't have any input on the RiverCat. You will need to find someone that is HEAT RACING that boat.

Later,
    Mike

Don't cut your connectors, just de-solder and replace with your choice. If you cut motor wires except Castle and a few others, you won't be able to re-solder new connectors.
    Nortavlag Bulc

My Pursuit balances 10 1/4" from the transom race ready. There are so many variables off the back of the transom, that until you run it you won't know. I like to set up my Pursuits with the motor near the back then the ESC just in front of the motor. This leaves room in front of the ESC for the batteries to be moved forward or back to adjust ride attitude. I would start with the cg 10" from the transom making sure that you have enough room to adjust batteries forward or back depending on what you need.

This is my setup

DSCN0118.jpg

and this is how they come ATR from TFL

DSCN0119.jpg
    Caution: Does not play well with others!

That checkerboard paint scheme is the bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by tjcast View Post
    My Pursuit balances 10 1/4" from the transom race ready. There are so many variables off the back of the transom, that until you run it you won't know. I like to set up my Pursuits with the motor near the back then the ESC just in front of the motor. This leaves room in front of the ESC for the batteries to be moved forward or back to adjust ride attitude. I would start with the cg 10" from the transom making sure that you have enough room to adjust batteries forward or back depending on what you need.

This is my setup
    Thanks Tom, Really appreciate the help.
    And I'm assuming when you say 10" from transom, race ready... that's with batteries in and they should be in a neutral position in the middle of the tray so as you say, I will have room to move them forward or back for final adjustment.
    Last edited by dethow; 01-08-2015 at 12:43 PM.
    Have fun with that....

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    That checkerboard paint scheme is the bomb.
    Chip, did I understand you correctly at the year-end meeting that the CG location on a hydro is best at the rear of the sponsors? And this is race ready with batteries in the middle of the tray so there is room for final adjustment?
    Have fun with that....

The pic of the blue Pursuit shows where I position the batteries, ready to run, just throw on the hatch and tape.
    Caution: Does not play well with others!

You want to be 1" behind the sponson when ready to run. Batteries etc.