Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: help with shockwave 26

Quote Originally Posted by okieman98 View Post
    those are on the order list for next month thanks
    50 here and i know about one check a month for sure,( navy)

22Kv might be too much, hard to say. I've been fiddling with boats off / on for the past 3 somethin years. If there's one thing I've learned it's: there's a crap load of factors that affect how fast a boat goes & how well it handle's.

They can be very temperamental & frustrating - but when you get it right & the boats performing good, it's very satisfying - makes for a fun afternoon @ the lake.

Timing... start your setup at zero degree's timing & run it for awhile see how she does. If she runs good, then bump it to 3.75-deg & see what happens, more timing = more power = more speed - to a point, as I discovered.

Program boxes make dockside changes much easier. HK sells this one... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ming_Card.html - stay on it for a few minutes & a "One time only offer!" box pops up with $5.69 price - click the files tab->face plate 2 - it's for boats. The HobbyWing boxes also work fine with the Turnigy's.

I ordered the 120 from china so waiting the 22kv I already have is going to be to much an 3 s right
    Last edited by RCBoaterGuy; 02-23-2015 at 10:33 PM.

looks good thanks for the photos of everything helps a lot , since i am waiting for the esc, and putting some money in it i might as well doll it up a bit. going to tear it down in the next few days. remove all the stickers and repaint it. i found a couple of nicks. i need to buff down and find some kind of body fill to use on this abs. have not had time to open up the receiver as yet. my last kid is a senior this year and plays ball. and been at bb games, but had a proud dad moment tonight she got home coming queen. anyway back to the boat. still debating on motor size , got to order one of the program cards.

Glad to help - good hear your kid made you a proud dad, no amount of $$ in the world can buy that

Regarding motors, suggestion... hold off for now. My boat is almost ready to go, need to finish adding expanding foam up front & a little in the canopy in case it blows off. All other upgrades are complete.

Once that's done, then can reassemble & take her for a test run. The 1800 PB motor is a lot more potent than the one I used for the maiden (6-pole marine vs 2-pole car). It may prove to be too much, it may not, only time will tell. Please remember, we're talking a thin plastic hull, it can only handle so much power.

Once I see how the boat performs with the 1800, then I'll be in a far better position to offer sound advice based on real world experience. IF, the 1800 works good... fine, you can look for one in the swap shop. If not, then we can go to plan B.

Meantime let me ask you about your battery inventory... how many 2s, 3s, 7-cell (8.4v) humps & so on. Hang with me, I have a good reason for asking

looks good thanks for the photos of everything helps a lot , since i am waiting for the esc, and putting some money in it i might as well doll it up a bit. going to tear it down in the next few days. remove all the stickers and repaint it. i found a couple of nicks. i need to buff down and find some kind of body fill to use on this abs. have not had time to open up the receiver as yet. my last kid is a senior this year and plays ball. and been at bb games, but had a proud dad moment tonight she got home coming queen. anyway back to the boat. still debating on motor size , got to order one of the program cards.

right now i have 4
    Turnigy nano-tech 5000mah 2S 35~70C Lipo Pack
    2 3s 40c 5000 mah flight max

ok, will do on the motor,

well don't know what to do now, i sat down today today to tear her down and found some damage . guess one of the kids did something only had the boat in the water 3 times.101_2282.jpg101_2283.jpg

dont know if i need to find a new hull are just patch it and run it and don't fret on paint and stuff

O dang! What now? Time for a new one? Beware that the flex is going to lock up in it without mods....
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Your in luck!!

I have a spare hull, brand new never been in the water

Bought the SW26v3 brushed version July 2013 (brand new) with the intent of converting it to brushless using the Proboat 1500Kv motor & 45amp ESC from MG29v1, but never finished - one of these days I'll list the motor, ESC + program card in the swap shop.

After doing the pre-maiden run clean up, during re-assembly I noticed the motor & mount assembly moved up'n'down a bit more than I was comfortable with (*because the plastic in that area kinda thin*), thought to myself, the 1500Kv motors are torquey so that might cause probs. Started out to reinforce the hull with fiberglass, but never finished. **That was one of the factors that played into my decision to go with a 2-pole motor, to reduce stress in that area.

After seeing how well the boat pictured in post #25 ran, I put the brushed one back in the original box with manual(s), decal sheets, stand, etc & put it in the closet where it sits to this day.

So far I've sanded the sides of the hull (interior only) with course sandpaper so the fiberglass resin will stick (finishing epoxy can also be used). And laid fiberglass tape in the motor area, it's tacked down with CA glue. This is the stuff I used... http://www.cstsales.com/glass_tape.html

Like I told kfxguy in post #14, want to focus my efforts on my IM31 & have the SW26 for a fun boat.

Regards,

well don't know what to do now, i sat down today today to tear her down and found some damage . guess one of the kids did something only had the boat in the water 3 times.101_2282.jpg101_2283.jpg

dont know if i need to find a new hull are just patch it and run it and don't fret on paint and stuff
    Last edited by RCBoaterGuy; 02-12-2015 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Delete Old Info

up date, ordered replacement hull, and still waiting for the esc to come in,

What cooling jacket is used on the Tacon 2858-380XL-14T Brushless Motor??

ok got hull and esc in. got to really decide what size motor i have to get. thanks rcboaterguy for the replacement.will start a tear down this weekend , hopeful this flu is on its way out now

I used this one... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ize_Motor.html - for the maiden run. Once I got it positioned right, it kept the motor nice & cool on full throttle runs, which is how I ran it mostly. Power was supplied by a Sky LiPo 4000mAh 3S 40C battery. Ran stock plastic prop on maiden; had Chris (www.dasboata.com) apply his magic to the optional SS prop for the next testing session.

I am very happy with how well the boat ran**, but wanted to make some improvements. During re-assembly I could not get that cooler positioned correctly so it kept leaking during pressure testing - it's because of the longer can.

Don't if you noticed but that's a 60mm long can. Hard to get the cooler positioned so the O-rings will seal up on the front part of the motor & the last fin. So got one of these coolers... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...75mm_Boat.html - lot bulkier, but no leaks.

Originally got that Tacon motor for another project, but it proved to be a bit too much power** Didn't want to hassle with a new motor mount in that boat, needed the extra can length so I could put a aluminum cooling coil on the back side.

**Reason the motor proved to be too much for the original boat & made the SW26v3 haul butt is because it's really a 2044Kv motor (+ the extra torque from the 60mm can) - measured with one of these... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Search=rpm%20m on 3S Battery. Just got that meter today, and just tested the motor before NHRA qualifying started on the deuce.

The blue aluminum cooler works fine on the shorter Tacon (and HobbyWing) motors like this one... http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m272-2848-2100kv-18t.html and these... http://www.hobbypartz.com/3330kv-rc-...car-motor.html

One of the improvements I made was to replace the stock SW26 motor mount with a IM31 mount (PRB4260), the holes for the hull mounting screws are 4mm rather than 3mm, gives some extra wiggle room to get better motor shaft / flex shaft alignment for smoother driveline operation. Also polish your prop shaft & bushing - see post #11.

I also covered hull reinforcement in that post, I'm in the process of doing that upgrade now, almost finished. Really stiffens the front of the boat, just feels a lot more solid. Have a feeling that's going to help tame the nose bouncing you see in a lot of the vids of these boats. Won't have to run the trim tabs so tight, allowing the boat to run looser for better speeds on smooth water.

Ok, this post is long enough, any more questions - feel free to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
    What cooling jacket is used on the Tacon 2858-380XL-14T Brushless Motor??
    Last edited by RCBoaterGuy; 02-22-2015 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Add Pix
    AQ MiniMono - CopterX 430XL 3550kv BL Outrunner + Seaking(V2) 35A on 2S VERY Fast
    Pro Boat SW26v3 - 2860-2600kv + Seaking(V2) 90A on 3S, Build in Progress
    Pro Boat Stealthwake 23 - Stock For Now - Brushless Down The Road

My gosh, thank you for all the great information and links!

Your welcome!!

The blue motor above on 2S = 22,200 rpm's same as the Tacon on 3S - for sale if your interested. Have too many motor's & radio's, couple spare ESC's too, trying to clear out the excess.

Have a pair of 2.4GHz surface radios with Rx's available also.

Will be posting updates of recent upgrades soon. Need to finish adding expanding foam to the front end, then can re-assemble.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
    My gosh, thank you for all the great information and links!
    Last edited by RCBoaterGuy; 02-22-2015 at 05:02 PM.
    AQ MiniMono - CopterX 430XL 3550kv BL Outrunner + Seaking(V2) 35A on 2S VERY Fast

ok i ordering this servo need a mount from hk if they have them could not figure out what to order, also need a servo arm for the linkage that will fit this servo
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._0_13s_60.html

ok i ordering this servo need a mount from hk if they have them could not figure out what to order, also need a servo arm for the linkage that will fit this servo
    I don't know much about HK servo, but I would prefer a metal shaft rather than a nylon one, they have so many, are there any other that can fit your bill but with a metal shaft?
    Too many boats, not enough time...

i dont know about servos this was one someone said would work and it was pretty cheap so i just went with it. have not ordered as yet so i am open to suggestion and mounts and arms

Well, I usually prefer to have metal gears inside and a metal shaft . Also look for "BB" notation. It means the critical turning points are supported with bearings instead of a bushing.
    Are you looking for a "standard" size servo? Lots of them, just go to their site and scroll everyone, they are all much less expensive than Futabas and Airtronics or Hitec for that matter. I think it is worthwhile to spend one or two dollars more to get the best you can. As for water proofing, the ones which are really built that way use gaskets between the casing and rubber "O" rings to seal the shaft. I am sure the wires are also sealed with some kind of grommet. So the next best thing is to open the case and spray Corrosion X if you aren't sure the servo is 100% water proof.
    As for the mount, I don't know the boat, can't advise you, pictures would help, but I imagine it depends whether the servo is standing up on laying on its side.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Jeff,
    Your making this project farrrrrrrrrrrr more difficult than it needs to be

Get a traxxas 2075 servo - Waterproof, Digital, High Speed, High Torque, Ball Bearing - they fit & work perfect.

You can get them from eBay or the forums for $20 - I got one for Miss G from this forum, $20 delivered.

I included the factory stock servo pushrod with the hull, it's in the plastic baggie with the manual. Look in the main box, there's 2 boxes that the boat was suspended in, look under flap of the longer one, I put that baggie in there.

Don't remember if I included the servo horn (aka servo arm) or not, but the one that is attached to the Dynamite servo that came with your boat, the one that got damaged, it fits the traxxas servo's just fine.

I also included both of the plastic servo hold downs, since I made my own stainless steel copy. I screwed them into place in the hull. Yes, they too fit the traxxas servo just fine.

Did you manage to get the motor in place??

Ok, motor mount showed up from China today, time to epoxy it into place, got the hull ready couple days ago - rescue boat.

Almost done with Mini-V too, found lots of great info on this forum, got me unstuck off of stupid.

Last edited by RCBoaterGuy; 02-23-2015 at 10:12 PM.

ok will look it up just about finished sanding the hull and paint already in. just need to finish the deck and will be ready to go. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RCBoaterGuy View Post
    Jeff,
    Your making this project farrrrrrrrrrrr more difficult than it needs to be

Get a traxxas 2075 servo - Digital, High Speed, High Torque, Ball Bearing - they fit & work perfect - See attached pix... far better than Hobby Krap servo's.

You can get them from eBay or the forums for $20 - I got one for Miss G from this forum, $20 delivered.

I included the factory stock servo pushrod with the hull (last picture with this post), it's in the plastic baggie with the manual. Look in the main box, there's 2 boxes that the boat was suspended in, look under flap of the longer one, I put that baggie in there.

Don't remember if I included the servo horn or not, but the one that is attached to the Dynamite servo that came with your boat, the one that got damaged, it fits the traxxas servo's just fine.

I also included both of the plastic servo hold downs, since I made my own stainless steel copy. I screwed them into place in the hull. Yes, they too fit the traxxas servo just fine.

Did you manage to get the motor in place??

Ok, motor mount showed up from China today, time to epoxy it into place, got the hull ready couple days ago.

Almost done with Mini-V too, found lots of great info on this forum, got me un-stuck off of stupid.
    i am actually doing 4 boats now at a the same time the one i got from you, building a rescue boat and going to try to repair the other damaged hull for the kids to use, also have the 3o inch mono scratch build to so jumping back in forth in between part orders . but with my limited knowledge of decent parts like the servo i have to careful what i order sometimes. i ordered the one u said a few ago from ebay thanks

Don't feel alone...

You know bout the planes, found all the parts for the P-38 back east & did an order yesterday - 3ea of everything + a canopy for the disco'ed heli.

Started a PB Mini-V project just shy of 2-years ago, got so far then stuck on stupid. She's bin sittin on a closet shelf begging for attention ever since.

Found a bunch of awesome threads on this forum related to that boat, in one they were talking about using the Octura prop shaft I tried giving away at Xmas. Glad nobody took it, that got me started. In under 7-days she went from closet queen to being ready for her maiden, just finished bout 1/2hr ago, going for 1st run tomorrow.

And like you, gettin busy with the rescue boat... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXYLH5**&P=SM - got fed up with the Captain Kangaroo Micky Mouse motor mount & yanked it out. Got one of these... http://www.tobsd.com/ViewDetails.aspx?ProductID=288 - very very nice, glad I picked that one. Hull's prepped, just need to epoxy it in.

Still working on my SW, poured more foam in yesterday, but screwed up & put it all on one side instead little each side, now need more foam to finish.

Miss G gets attention when I can fit her in.

Hey FYI on the SW's rudder pushrod... http://www.horizonhobby.com/rudder-p...3Aim31-prb4265 - cut off the excess threads on both side's so the swivel links screw down to the smooth part & it fits perfect. That's what's in those pix I posted earlier.

Take Care

i am actually doing 4 boats now at a the same time the one i got from you, building a rescue boat and going to try to repair the other damaged hull for the kids to use, also have the 3o inch mono scratch build to so jumping back in forth in between part orders . but with my limited knowledge of decent parts like the servo i have to careful what i order sometimes. i ordered the one u said a few ago from ebay thanks

ok thanks i will order one of the push rods, still need to find the arm that will fit that servo getting a hk order ready because i need a tx, getting one of those gt3 that will do 10 models over all it will save me some money. i notice u had some for sale pm me the price

i painted the hatch today. looked good still need to clear it pic does not make it look as good as it is

100_2285.jpg

Dang...
    Is that the one I sent you??

What kinda paint did you use?? -- That thing looks sharp!! -- Great paint job!!

i painted the hatch today. looked good still need to clear it pic does not make it look as good as it is

100_2285.jpg

Yes that is the hatch from that boat, used epoxy from the local paint supply think it was kirker

it has 4 coats, wish i would have wet sanded it once more time, but i am happy with it. ready to do the hull but ice and snow storm has moved in so cant get out side i guess i will raid my buddy's shop to Finnish lol

I need to come up with a paint scheme for our Shockwave 26. Was wondering if the normal lexsn body spray cans would be flexible enough for the coating.

t don't know that one but u can get a primer for plastic that work well and you can cover with a lot of different types of paint. wally world here stocks it and works good used and sanded before, oh also pre heated paint in hot water to get it to flash and flow better

well painted hull base coat today will clear tomorrow, will post before and after when i get it cleared and dry to move around

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast