Thread: quick and easy flooded stuffing tube

Default quick and easy flooded stuffing tube

I havent built a mono just yet but I had some ideas on how I would do the drive tube and have it adjustable. I've seen people do a flooded tube with a boot on the interior end, good idea but I wanted to be different. So I used an idea from my cat builds. I like the idea of being able to remove the drive tube if I need to so I make a slip joint. I did the same on this little mono. This thing came with a strut.....but it was just for looks. I could not believe it when I figured out it was non adjustable from the factory...who does that? Lmao! Anyway I made a short one as it does need much adjustment. Here's what I did:

Ripped out the stock drive tube. Drilled a hole bigger for my brass flooded tube. Removed the epoxy from old tube.

Then I cut my brass tube. 27/64 is what I used. Then I found a nut to fit snug in the tube. Drilled it to fit the slip tube.

Assembled it.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Then I filled with jb weld to hold it together. Recess the nut some, slide tube in a little and put jb weld around it.

Slide it in and check fitment.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I'm sure you can see why I needed to so this and upgrade to 3/16 flex at the same time. That motor you see is a good bit more power than stock.

And finished. I point the front of the boat and poured epoxy in to hold the flooded tube in place. Thought this may be helpful in giving some ideas. In a custom built boat I would make the flooded tube a little longer but this serves it's purpose. The stuffing tube slides through it btw, put a little silicon to seal it.

Nice little how to. Glad you did this, read you describing it on the thread where the boot was used. I was just gonna fill the end with resin/filler and drill out a hole then put the slip tube. I like the nut to keep it centered.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    Nice little how to. Glad you did this, read you describing it on the thread where the boot was used. I was just gonna fill the end with resin/filler and drill out a hole then put the slip tube. I like the nut to keep it centered.

Thanks! I actually angled the tupe up slightly to help with the angle of the flex tube. I mainly did this because ive had people pm me on how to do it. Why, I have no idea because ive never done one until now. I've told them how i would do it, but now i had a reason to need to in this boat. it had a really bad negative angle on the prop that i wanted to level out. Well when i tried to angle it, the drive tube broke. so hence the reason for this thread. i'm sure theres a better way, just wanted to throw some ideas out there. I'm fine with anyone posting in here how they did thiers.

Are you really gonna run that motor In there?

Default quick and easy flooded stuffing tube

Looks good. But with a flood chamber that short, how much adjustment do you actually get?
    I'm not sure how long it actually is, or if the nut acts as a pivot point in some way?
    I totally understand this is just a test of the idea, and given the opportunity you would make it longer....
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Are you really gonna run that motor In there?
    yes, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Luck as a Constant View Post
    Looks good. But with a flood chamber that short, how much adjustment do you actually get?
    I'm not sure how long it actually is, or if the nut acts as a pivot point in some way?
    I totally understand this is just a test of the idea, and given the opportunity you would make it longer....
    I dont need much adjustment at all. i'm just playing around with this boat. the tube actually slide so i can add negative or postive prop angle and about 3/16" up and down stru adjustment. better than nothing for sure. If this thing does as well as i hope, i may rip the interior out and redo it travis style. lol

Haha no doubt man.

There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

I have a habit of completely rebuilding factory crap. This was a factory white ibanez. Can't have that tho lol

I too, liked the idea of being able to remove the drive tube if I need to, maybe going from no liner, to lined. On a mono however, I still wanted to use a stinger. Using button head screws, and J B wield I
    secured a piece of sheet metal to the stinger. Even though the motor is mounted far forward, I still needed to angle the tube up. I did this by shaping a small block of wood, and glued it to the hull. The
    tube was secured to the block with a plastic pipe hanger, 2 small screws, and A LOT of glue, not pretty, but it ain't going anywhere, a radio box goes over it. Used the largest rubber boot Steven sells, and a couple of clamps.
    The T bar oiler adjusts up down, left, and right, and locks the stuffing tube in place.

HPNX0434.JPGHPNX0437.JPG
    Last edited by runzwithsizorz; 12-19-2014 at 12:43 PM.

I thought about keeping the stinger on my mono build but I was like, not enough meat on this stinger, now I see how you did it.

What's wrong with My motor choice? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    What's wrong with My motor choice? Lol
    In my high school auto shop class, we put a 427 in the back seat of a Corvair, so I would say, not a darn thing.

Well this boat can only hold a 3s pack without getting badly unbalanced. So I plan on running on 3s only. I have this same setup in my son's 26" hydro. It's not unruly. 40mm 1.4 pitch prop and it does 30 mph.

It just looked big in there , I was thinking higher cell count. Maybe whip up a cf rear support?

It just looked big in there , I was thinking higher cell count. Maybe whip up a cf rear support?
    I had planned on it. I have to wait till the water jacket makes it here.

Quote Originally Posted by runzwithsizorz View Post
    In my high school auto shop class, we put a 427 in the back seat of a Corvair, so I would say, not a darn thing.
    it's the only way.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Travis, that is a great set up, can be applied to many other RTR boats, thanks for sharing!
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Travis, that is a great set up, can be applied to many other RTR boats, thanks for sharing!
    Thanks! I'll be building my first mono fairly soon and will apply something like this to it except using carbon tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by runzwithsizorz View Post
    That's what I'm talkin' about, it's easier to slow it down than make it go faster!!