Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat build forum, why the name change?

Default Boat build forum, why the name change?

Why was the Boat Build forum changed to "Boat Building Q & A"? It's not a Q&A forum, it's a place to document boat builds.

The "Fast Electric RC Boating Questions and Answers" forum should cover questions and answers boaters have about boats n things.

Makes no sense to me.

The build forum was never intended to be what it has become. It's intent was to be a place where people do a build from start to finish in a "how to" format with pictures and no comments like
    "Cool" or "Awesome" or ""

It has become a place where people show what they've got to build and ask for direction on what to do
    It has become a place where people show the completed steps in pictures without direction on how they got to that point
    It has become a place where others must sift through page s and pages of comments before they get to the next step in the process
    It has become a place where people hijack the build thread because they've done one or are doing one too

The new section will be just that. Only the OP will be able to post till completion then it will be opened up for comments at the end.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

IMO, I think it's rather difficult for anyone to post a build where they build the boat step by step like instructions out of a kit box without interaction from others. I certainly might not know the next step to take with a scratch build project without asking or getting opinions from others that might have experience with something that I don't, but I'm willing to learn. If I am building a boat from start to finish I would not post it in a forum where I get no response or feedback. If that's that case I guess all of the builds in the "Boat Building Q & A" are more suited in a forum with that title. I'm building a boat with no instructions and winging it in my head day to day. Like I said, my opinion. Was curious about the change. So be it. Thanks Danny.
    Last edited by Ken_NJ; 12-17-2014 at 11:26 AM.

Just imagine you're about to build a boat and you're not sure exactly how. You navigate to the new build section and see that someone who knows more had already built what you want to build. You follow along in his thread and duplicate his results and didn't have to sift through a ton of commentary. That's what we're trying to get to.

You're welcome Ken!
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

So if one intends to just build without any interaction ( like a tutorial) then one should post in the "new" section, but if one is going along like what Ken is saying, ( often times the less experienced guys like myself won't mind being interrupted and have questions along the build) then one should still post in the " Boat Building Q and A" section?
    I mean it all makes sense but I don't want to start a thread in the wrong place.
    BTW, thanks Danny!
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    Just imagine you're about to build a boat and you're not sure exactly how. You navigate to the new build section and see that someone who knows more had already built what you want to build. You follow along in his thread and duplicate his results and didn't have to sift through a ton of commentary. That's what we're trying to get to.

You're welcome Ken!
    with all do respect, what about the guys that build something no one else has before? example, olwarbirds drag hydro..... so everytime he has a question about it, he should post a new thread? I'm not so sure thats a good idea.......I think people like the feed back they get during the process, I know I do. I think if you just want people to stop posting builds, this move will head it in that direction. No one like talking to themself. maybe have a seperate forum for each way then. If someone wants to post a build and have no feedback or discussion...post in this section.. If you want feedback...post in this section.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    So if one intends to just build without any interaction ( like a tutorial) then one should post in the "new" section, but if one is going along like what Ken is saying, ( often times the less experienced guys like myself won't mind being interrupted and have questions along the build) then one should still post in the " Boat Building Q and A" section?
    I mean it all makes sense but I don't want to start a thread in the wrong place.
    BTW, thanks Danny!
    Yes that's exactly correct.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    with all do respect, what about the guys that build something no one else has before? example, olwarbirds drag hydro..... so everytime he has a question about it, he should post a new thread? I'm not so sure thats a good idea.......I think people like the feed back they get during the process, I know I do. I think if you just want people to stop posting builds, this move will head it in that direction. No one like talking to themself. maybe have a seperate forum for each way then. If someone wants to post a build and have no feedback or discussion...post in this section.. If you want feedback...post in this section.
    That's why the name change to "Boat Building - Q & A", and the (Step by Step) board is in it's own separate section. Steven will be setting up the new section to allow only the OP to be able to post, then when it's complete, a MOD will open it up for discussion.
    Darin Jordan does a lot of the "ideal step by step" builds, if the comments were removed.

To me 'Fast Electric Rc Boating Questions and Answers' and 'Boat Building - Q & A' sound like they are the same thing. For the most part this is a FE forum and both are under 'OffshoreElectrics FE Boating Forums'. Someone has a question on FE boats? Which forum would they go to? Regulars would know but new members might be confused. IMO the name should be something more identifiable than 'Boat Building - Q & A'. Something like 'Fast Electric Boats builds' with a description of 'Open discussion of scratch or kit builds'. I posted my one and only build so far as a discussion, not to ask questions to others.

If someone has general questions about FE boats or parts, go to 'Fast Electric Rc Boating Questions and Answers'
    If someone wants an open discussion about a build they are doing, go to 'Fast Electric Boat builds'
    If someone is going to create a step by step process on a boat, go to one of the 'Build Guides' section.

Just a few examples to help explain...

I have a boat that suddenly changes it's behavior while I run it. --> FE Q & A
    I have a boat that I can't get to run as fast as it should. --> FE Q & A
    I have a boat that runs hot even in winter water --> FE Q & A
    I would like to know where is the best place to install the motor --> Build Q & A
    I have a hull and want input on weather or not to offset my drive line --> Build Q & A

I hope this helps

Yes it does, thanks
    Nortavlag Bulc

Again... IMO... I still think that one forum name & description falls short. My build, and others in that forum are there to show others what they are building, how they are doing it, and want to show how and what from start to end. Sure there may be questions along the way, which end up being discussed, but they are not one off questions about where to put the motor or how long to wait for paint or fiberglass to dry. My last words about it. Love the forum, enjoy seeing what others are doing and sharing what I do.

So Danny, we will be looking for more 'instructional' build threads in the future? I tried this style on another forum and viewership sucked. I know I am not supposed do it for my ego but I do like the feedback and occasional conversation.
    That being said it would be good to have a 'documented' section and I will have a go at it.

Can we have something in regards to the search button or 'feel free to read' put on the forum Front Page?

Ken,
    I understand your concern, would a name change to "Boat Building talk" make more sense? I'd be happy to call it that.

Shawn,
    Thank you for having a go at it! Anyone new to RC Boating will appreciate your efforts too.
    Let me know how you feel about traffic or visibility to the new section after the new layout is implemented.

I'd be glad to help Danny. I'll have a Daytona Twin/Single? here that I have been wanting to do just this with. Thanks for the speedy reply.

I guess here's what I'm thinking.....

Guy a) may want to just post his build, seasoned pro...does not want or need input, advice, discussion or questions in his thread. I could see that for a few people.

Guy b) not a seasoned pro, likes the advice given, discussion and comments along with ideas as he posts his build.

So maybe, in humble opinion, think we should have a closed type build section like original and then a build section like we just had where people can talk, interact and motivate the builder along. I think it's been going well that way. I agree sometimes it may stray a little off the beating path, but that's part of the fun and the interaction between members. Just my .02
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I think the change to Boat Building Talk with small print Post your build Q & A's here make a lot of senses.
    The "tutorial build'' should be clearly labeled so people know what they are getting into, those who are "pros'' obviously would know, but for someone who is relatively new and mistakenly opens a thread there and may be waiting for feedback, it might be worthwhile to consider a clear language to serve as a heads up.
    just my .02
    Thanks for being open minded on this subject!

Never mind, I see now: Build Guides, step by step is good!
    The small print is also clear, although I still think someone may post by mistake, but I am sure the mod can move it and explain to the said individual.

Thanks for the input guys. It really does help us.

Thanks for the input guys. It really does help us.
    Thanks for being open minded! :)

Boat Building Talk is better than Q&A. Documenting a build with discussion I would not consider Q&A. It's all semantics, the title should convey the content which lies within. The current content within is more boat builds with discussion not necessarily direct Q&A about specifics. It's certainly not my forum to change so this is just my feedback or opinion. LOL a question on why that changed into a discussion!

Thanks Danny!

You're way over thinking this. Back in the red board days, guys would write articles with pics and descriptions of a build and Wollard would post them separately. It wasn't actually part of the "forum"

A "forum" is according to Websters: a place or opportunity for discussing a subject. If you don't want to discuss your build......a "forum" is likely not the best place for it. Maybe write an article, print to a PDF or something and post that.

I read some of those progress builds just because someone always shares some way to do something I never thought of. Might not even be the guy who's building the boat.
    Noisy person

The build can and will be discussed. (after the build is complete)

So if I post a thread on a build that shows my progression on a scale for instance.......and Mike from ML see's that I'm screwing it up he can wait until I'm done or contact me through a PM.

Will anybody be able to post in there? Seems you're trying to make it easier for a new guy to find "how to" guides. A "how to" from say my 15 yo son might lead someone astray.
    Noisy person

A simple PM is obviously the way to go, plus it saves the OP from unnecessary embarrassment.
    Also, if you're not sure on your abilities then a "how to" isn't a good idea. On the other hand, if you do a "how to" till completion and your results are not desirable, then no one will choose to follow your lead. Ex: your results are for oval and I want the same boat for SAW.

A simple PM is obviously the way to go, plus it saves the OP from unnecessary embarrassment.
    Also, if you're not sure on your abilities then a "how to" isn't a good idea. On the other hand, if you do a "how to" till completion and your results are not desirable, then no one will choose to follow your lead. Ex: your results are for oval and I want the same boat for SAW.
    It all boils down to some self awareness. For instance, I will never do a "how to" ......

I could do some "how not to's"

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    So if I post a thread on a build that shows my progression on a scale for instance.......and Mike from ML see's that I'm screwing it up he can wait until I'm done or contact me through a PM.

Will anybody be able to post in there? Seems you're trying to make it easier for a new guy to find "how to" guides. A "how to" from say my 15 yo son might lead someone astray.
    Exactly what I mean!

I doubt seriously you'll get many willing to post on a forum with no feedback from the forum. Even fewer that are willing to say "this is how you do it". Because there's always 10 ways to do it. We'll have to see.

Another problem is that there are some that are very confident in their ability..............the problem is that they have less than they profess to have. Think self proclaimed professional.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Another problem is that there are some that are very confident in their ability..............the problem is that they have less than they profess to have. Think self proclaimed professional.
    I AM AWESOME..... just ask me!

Last edited by longballlumber; 12-17-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: added sarcasm smiley so people know I am joking

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    I AM AWESOME..... just ask me!

Yeah well, we are not talking about the obvious!!

Some people have no clue, and I agree with that concern, but I think most do have a self awareness and this should not be a problem, plus, if one wants feedback, then don't post in the how to, one can always do that later having run the boat and fixed all the bugs.
    Just my $.02

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast