Thread: ABC Hobby Super Hawaii

Default ABC Hobby Super Hawaii

Another one of my old boats, a ABC Hobby Super Hawaii. This one runs on 4s lipos with a Traxxas EVX2 and brushed Titan Marine motors. Now runs with a Octura metal prop. Tops speed of 25-26 MPH but it handles like a pig.

DSC05009.jpgDSC04997.jpgDSC05017.jpgDSC04912.jpgDSC04914.jpg

A very similar hull the ABC CESA used to be a fairly popular race boat here in the early 90s, the hull bottoms are not the same as the CESA was unstepped and the Super Hawaii as you know has 2 steps, but the CESA had a horrible amount of rocker at the back of the hull in order to get the nose in the air and looking fast on the anaemic stock power, but when a decent amount of power is applied (was 12s NiCd and a 700 can motor at the time) the jumped about all over the place and could not really be run at full throttle. Super Hawaiis were not popular here as at that time stepped monos were counted as hydros here as they still are in the states, but I have heard several people on forums saying they have the same nasty handling caused by excess rocker that the CESA has. The fix for the CESA was to cut the whole back end off about where the wing is, cut about 1/4" of the transom turn the transom around and glue it into the main part of the hull, which takes most of the rocker out and also makes a sharp transom that is not possible from moulded ABS once done and fitted with a flexdrive, strut and rudder it was a decent handling hull, and very fast due to the weight, of its thin ABS hull.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

I bought a nearly new one a couple years back and ran it stock on 14 cells and twin titans, ran well, about 30mph.

I decided to go single brushless and went with a big 600 outrunner on 6s, turned out very well and got it close to 40 mph. With alot of tweaking I got rid of any bounce and added huge turn fins that really settled it down in the corners.

Pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

I see so maybe larger turn fins would help with the roacking?

Video of the fat girl running

That was my first RC boat back in the day - maybe late 80s or early 90s... got her as a b day present from the Grandparents, just seeing yours brings back so many memories - like the burn I got from the blade style speed control!

I wish I knew where she went.. I at least have my MRP fountain that is getting a rebuild this spring!

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Ciborowski View Post
    I at least have my MRP fountain that is getting a rebuild this spring!
    Cool...........another Fountain

Here's mine
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    Cool...........another Fountain

Here's mine
    Actually it was yours that got me looking into rehabing the one I have. I did a search a while back on that boat, and those pics (and thread) came up.. great looking paint!

Newbie questions for you all, but I must say, I'm quite excited to be able to ask you all since you're running my first boat (SH) that I ever purchased and this thread isn't from the mid-2000's

Recently I bought a new boat, but am working on my existing SH for my sons to use. I've souped it up a bit and could use your insights/answers to my questions.
    What I've done is installed 2 Helion 12T 540 motors to the stock single prop
    Also installed the Traxxas EVX2 ESC

Yesterday I ran on just NiMH batteries and ended up making the engines smoke and the battery really pliable. To be fair, I did run it ashore, so if that's the issue then I'll fully accept that as the likely culprit as to why the wires separated from the engine mount tabs and I need to re-solder them now

My larger questions are:
    Did you change out any of the gears as I'm still using stock on the motors and in the stock casing pinion gears?
    What prop do you recommend to get this boat on plane quicker as it's seems to have a bit of a lull at full throttle even before it gets on plane and moves out?
    I purchased the Spartan for myself and am changing out the trim tabs so I'm going to use the stock ones from the spartan and put them on the SH to hopefully make it more balanced in the water and in the turns - any comments on if that's a good or bad thought to do?

Thanks all in advance, I look forward to your expertise.
    ~K
    Last edited by KurtG; 04-15-2015 at 08:52 PM.

Quick update to the above. Basically the 12t Helions both fried and the LHS said I had too much voltage going through them, so they put me on 21t 550 Traxxas Titan motors. Sounds like they'll have more torque which is good to get the boat on plane, but how much all out speed am I compromising? Open to other suggestions on motors that will get me the best of both worlds (torque and speed).
    Last edited by KurtG; 04-21-2015 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Removed question about counter gear

The boat with the gear drive and large prop is made for twin titans really, plus they are 550's and you smoked some high turn 540's.............mine hit 30 mph on 4s with the Titans. The SH really doesn't like to go much above 30 anyways unless you do some serious tweaking and spend a lot of time at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    The boat with the gear drive and large prop is made for twin titans really, plus they are 550's and you smoked some high turn 540's.............mine hit 30 mph on 4s with the Titans. The SH really doesn't like to go much above 30 anyways unless you do some serious tweaking and spend a lot of time at it.
    Thanks for the response - I was starting to think this was a dying thread.

I'm due in the new counter gear today that was shredded a bit, so my plan is to put in the new counter gears and take my trim tabs and turn fins from my Spartan on to the SH (upgraded adjustable being put on the Spartan), so I'm hopeful that at the higher speed it will be more stable in the corners. Additionally, I think I'll try the SH with the stock prop then throw on the Spartan Stock prop and see if there is any noticeable difference.

I'll let you know and thanks again,
    ~K

I think the Traxxas titan comes in 21t and 23t, maybe get the 21t for a bit more speed http://www.rcsuperstore.com/Traxxas-...shoppingengine

I think the stock prop is in the 45-47mm range, anything less would slow you down and I think the Spartan prop is smaller.............may want to check.

Went to change out all the pinion gears and ended up snapping the Gear mount...another email to Japan (Fingers crossed)

Latest is - I can get the gear mount and the drive shaft that I thought would be nice to replace simultaneously and I thought hey, why not get some new bearings, etc. Well the little parts they just don't sell separately at ABC Hobby Japan, so I just opted for getting the entire drive unit which is everything in the back of the boat, including 2 new motors that is included in the price - all for $75+$17 shipping. Not bad I'd say.

Unfortunately my sons are going to have to wait another week to put her in the water, but she'll basically be new and have slightly faster motors (hopefully) with the Titan 21T. At least it'll give me time to put on the trim tabs and turn fins too.

I am glad you got the spare, amazing that they still have that. For a vintage boat I think it is well worth it. Congrats!
    Too many boats, not enough time...

If anyone has that small back fin that goes on the SH, I'd be happy to pay you for shipping and the part (within reason). I snapped the corner off mine when I accidentally ran it ashore.

And she's done. Just need a nice glass lake to put her in the water and try her out.
    How do I get pics on here for you? Is it because I'm on my mobile and need to be on my desktop?

Any idea which Octura prop will get this fat girl on plane quicker? Looks like CWBETB had one but would like to know which one seems best. Mainly it took about 5 seconds of full throttle then it got up and ran awesome.....so much so I ran another set of batteries through her.

Thanks all.

Pic of my babies on the stand I highly copied off of others ideas as well
    20150502_160145.jpg

I miss the crap out of my Super Hawaii.

I had mine setup with dual outdrives. Ran on 2 powerplants from SV27's.
    Was a blast to run. Never did Gps it, it was definitely a quick boat.

Z
    KBB34" Mono - Fast
    ToySport Triton- Not as fast

Very nice!

I always loved the duals but when I went to get my SH they were no longer making it a dual and were simply running a single that was hooked up to 2 motors - love the setup you have.

Mine was originally a single setup

Z
    KBB34" Mono - Fast

Quote Originally Posted by z400 View Post
    Mine was originally a single setup

This thing is sick! How does she run with twin drives? What motors & sec's are you running?

I have ABC SH sitting around & had planned on reinforcing the transom & installing a stinger eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi8iS View Post
    This thing is sick! How does she run with twin drives? What motors & sec's are you running?

It was ok, never could get the COG set up correctly. Not enough room to adjust things.
    I ran it on 2 4s packs.
    The motors and esc's are stock setups from SV27's.
    The boat screamed for what it was. I secured a GPS under the wing once, got 53.7mph or something like that.
    I thought i had a picture of that but i guess i dont.

Z
    KBB34" Mono - Fast