Thread: sport bec threw kinetic racing

Default sport bec threw kinetic racing

Anyone have any experience with this bec?? Any input would be great.. I plan on using this bec with a swordfish 240 esc running 6s to 8s.

Sport BEC*!***!***!** SportBEC powers your receiver and servos much more efficiently than a standard BEC. SportBEC works great up to very high voltages. SportBEC is usually a necessity at 4s and above when running high torque or digital servos. SportBEC's output is selectable between 5V/6V using a small slide switch. The 6V setting gives more speed and torque to the servos. Because it is an efficient switching regulator, SportBEC can supply its full rated current of 3.5A all the way up to 8s.
    Input voltage: 9V to 33.6v (3s-8s lithium, up to 21 NiMHs)
    Output current: 3.5A (~8 standard servos, 4-6 digital)
    Weight: 13g/.46oz (including wires)
    Universal connector fits all receivers
    Good times had by all!

Personally I don't run external BECs, I use LiFe 2s 6.6v Tx/Rx packs to power my Rx and servos, If you have multiple boats, it's much easier running the LiFe packs and cheaper too. Plus your not bleeding power from your main packs and less chance of Rx and servo brown out. I use these and the 1100mah zippy packs. http://www.ebay.com/itm/700Mah-6-6v-...item51bba8c912 That saying is much better!

Pardon me, but what is "brown out"??

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaForceMan View Post
    Pardon me, but what is "brown out"??
    the receiver is stripped of its voltage needed to work caused by a large spike in current demanded by the system. Basically power is sucked from the built in bec that causes a mometary loss of power to your reciever and servo. could be a very bad thing at speed, thats why i always use an external bec in my more powerful setups. Sometimes if your have a light glitch or brownout, a glitch buster may help. I gave my son one to try on one of his speed run cars that would always cut out on him and it fixed it.

Here is the official definition Courtesy of Wikipedia:

A brownout is an intentional or unintentional drop in voltage in an electrical power system.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Interesting.. So I shouldn't run into this problem using an external bec. Capacitors help combat this problem as well, correct?

Cool

I used caps plugged into my 1980s-vintage AM receivers to prevent brownouts. The caps store power as long as the receiver power supply is adequate - if the power drops then the cap supplies the receiver for the short time it is brown. Very old tech but useful today nonetheless as insurance...they are just bigger now to handle higher receiver power requirements.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I just read on ose website that caps have a tendency to swell/explode under high voltage setups so I'm thinking that's not going to be an option for my boat.
    Good times had by all!

Interesting.. So I shouldn't run into this problem using an external bec. Capacitors help combat this problem as well, correct?
    I can't make any predictions but I'd say you'll probably be ok.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    Personally I don't run external BECs, I use LiFe 2s 6.6v Tx/Rx packs to power my Rx and servos, If you have multiple boats, it's much easier running the LiFe packs and cheaper too. Plus your not bleeding power from your main packs and less chance of Rx and servo brown out. I use these and the 1100mah zippy packs. http://www.ebay.com/itm/700Mah-6-6v-...item51bba8c912 That saying is much better!
    How long do these packs last ?

This is my boat by the way if you guys haven't seen it. . Give it a like and subscribe for future videos on this project---> Custom fe boat build: http://youtu.be/sLZEnJ-rWGY
    Good times had by all!

Quote Originally Posted by 3-UP View Post
    How long do these packs last ?
    I can usually go 5 or 6 runs on a Rx pack between charges, I use the same packs in my Tx (radio) and I can get 4 to 6 months on a charge depending on how much I use it. As far as life span they live as long as a lipo does maybe longer, I've haven't had one go bad yet!

Nice! Good info.

Another reason I don't use external BECs is I had a bad experience with a brand new Castle Super BEC. First trip out, it shorted and cooked a Rx and a servo and almost a SF 240 pro plus ESC before I figured out what was going on. Ever since then I've used LiFe 2s 6.6v packs and I've had zero problems. Maybe it was a fluke but I know what works for me so I stick with it.

I hear that bud.. sounds like an easy reliable setup.

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    I can usually go 5 or 6 runs on a Rx pack between charges, I use the same packs in my Tx (radio) and I can get 4 to 6 months on a charge depending on how much I use it. As far as life span they live as long as a lipo does maybe longer, I've haven't had one go bad yet!
    5-6 runs on the 700mah or 1100mah?
    Thanks

@Flraptor07
    Would you be able to post a pic of your setup ? I would like to see what you mean! It just pictures work alot better for me to understand what your talking about rather then just reading about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-UP View Post
    5-6 runs on the 700mah or 1100mah?
    Thanks
    on the 700mah

Quote Originally Posted by littlepooper206 View Post
    @Flraptor07
    Would you be able to post a pic of your setup ? I would like to see what you mean! It just pictures work alot better for me to understand what your talking about rather then just reading about it.
    Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the packs in a boat RTR. But you would plug the pack into your RX in the spot marked bat (battery) you use these packs if your ESC does not have a built in BEC.