Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just picked up a new shockwave 26!

Default Just picked up a new shockwave 26!

I'll post pics when I get home. I must say, this thing is much better than the old one. Some things I've noticed: has a foam hatch seal like I use on my boats instead of a Tupperware type top. It also has hatch bolts like I use also. Much better design. The esc is the smsllest, cutest esc I've ever seen. Does have aluminum hardware. I'll post some more info shortly. Might go run it today.
    Last edited by kfxguy; 12-10-2014 at 04:36 PM.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Pics

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Decent motor mount. Not sure why they did it this way but looks good.

Esc is not much bigger than the on/off switch. That will probably be the first to go. Seaking 180 will fit nicely as will most other smaller size esc's if you want to upgrade.

Close up

Here's the hatch lock system which I like alot.

For those of you that watched the video and said it was plowing.....I think i see why lol....this is how it's adjusted from the factory.

And some thoughts:

The hull bottom seems to be a good bit stiffer than the previous models. Most everything seems to be a good improvement over the other versions. The receiver is a lower model than the mr200 tho. I had both versions of previous shockwaves. The brushed version came with the lower model receiver and radio. Brushless came with mr200 and a little nicer radio. But...you get all the other improvements and it stayed the same price. I think it's a good trade off. I'm trying to decide if I even want to run it stock or go ahead and do all the little things I know to improve it first? Sharpen rudder, sharpen turn fins, make a new pivot pin for the rudder because it has a decent amount of slack and go ahead and put a higher amp esc in it. I have better motor to go in it too. Lol

Does it have a flex or solid shaft? Trim tabs need raising a bit. Metal prop.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    Does it have a flex or solid shaft? Trim tabs need raising a bit. Metal prop.
    It has a flex. Looks to be the same size as the impulse 31.

Metal prop... I have a nice assortment. No worries there. I have prather stainless 215 all the way to 240. Cnc from 40mm to 55mm. X438 and up octura.
    The adjustments are how it was out the box. I will start with everything level. I'm going to add some two part foam to the front, it has a little sheet of white Styrofoam. Do I think it would stay afloat if the hull flooded? Not a chance. I wont do anything to it until I run it first, get a gps baseline.

nice boat! let me know how it runs with the seaking!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Ramos View Post
    Will do!

The boat looks good!

Take a look at your typo in the first sentence... Awkward... Lol
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    The boat looks good!

Take a look at your typo in the first sentence... Awkward... Lol
    Lmao! Guess my phone has a dirty mind. Lol

Haven't had much time to look it over till Tonight. Still have not run it. I did notice the little front nub that goes into a hole in the hull, the epoxy was too stiff and cracked and flaked off. I think i took the top off three times. Not good. I scuffed it up (thats part of the reason why it didn't stick) and used some good flexible epoxy. So that should be good there.

The transom...really good idea they did here. They used plastic frames to spread the load...very good idea.

The esc....frankly I don't trust it. 30 amps on a 26" hull just goes against everything i think I've learned. I know it'll work in completely stock form but I think with a prop change it might not hold. I'm ordering a seaking 120 just in case. Plus I plan on a motor upgrade pretty soon. This esc is tiny. I plan on getting a stock base line on it. Here the esc next to a seaking 180.

Considering this hull for a jet drive build, this or a SV 27. FG might be the better option, or not?

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    Considering this hull for a jet drive build, this or a SV 27. FG might be the better option, or not?
    I would think fiberglass would be a better option.

Ok, I went ran it today. I'm not impressed with it. It's a really cool looking boat but I had several issues with it, bone stock. I can fix them but the average hobbyist may not be able to.

1) it was getting a moderate amount of water in the hull. It's a good thing everything is waterproof because we would have had some electronics go up in smoke pretty quickly. I have not tracked down the source as of yet...least of my worries right now..read on.....
    2) the hull runs wet. A trim tab adjustment netted me a couple more mph but it would only help so much. The strut appears to be adjustable..... I loosed the screws and could not get it to budge. Not sure what's up with that....I'll look further into it but there is no flood tube. The stuffing tube appeared to be flexible but evidently it's not. Again, not a good thing...especially if they put a would be functional item just for looks.
    3) last but not least, on the second battery pack (which I didn't use the other battery long) the boat just stopped. I could hear the motor revving but no moving. Figure the prop came off...oops. so I bring it in with the recovery and what do I find? The dang flex shaft seized in the strut and the collet and flex shaft stripped.... are you kidding me? On a 28mph boat? That's some bullshenanigans right there! I'll call proboat tomorrow and see what they are going to do. In the past I had a mr200 go out on me and they were east to deal with, I'll see if that holds true still. Stay tuned and here's the blazing fast pass it made bone stock...stock plastic prop and all...

It sure is purty tho!

Last edited by kfxguy; 12-15-2014 at 12:41 AM.

And here's the maiden video....

The what shaft stripped? I think you have been texting late night with the opposite sex on that phone Trav, LOL.

And it is a cute little guy. THE BOAT I MEAN

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    The what shaft stripped? I think you have been texting late night with the opposite sex on that phone Trav, LOL.

And it is a cute little guy. THE BOAT I MEAN
    Wow! Lol! My phone has a weird sense of humor. The auto correct on this thing is pretty horrible.

Runs solid and doesnt look like a "Toy" anymore..................its all grown up.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

I just wanted to say, I called pro boat and talked to a really nice guy. He's sending me a new flex and collet. No complaints there! As always, awesome customer service. I wish I could say the same about the one and only and last dealing I had with aqua craft. Kudos pro boat!

Fyi... the strut is non adjustable. It's for looks only. I modified mine to make it adjustable.

After motor swap. Still on 3s. It runs much smoother than my previous shockwave. I think it's got a bit more speed left in it. Just playin around with it....I'm trying to see how fast I can make it compared to when I first started.

Man that looks awesome.

Love the color and graphics

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Racer View Post
    Man that looks awesome.

Love the color and graphics
    Thx, me too! You do know this is an rtr? It came looking cool like that! I did some strut and flex tube modifications and a motor and esc swap. I'm going to add some foam to the front of it and run it on 4s next. Should be in the 50's if it don't chine walk. I ripped out the stock drive tube as they has problems locking up from the factory. I went to my hobby shop the other day and they had one just like it apart on the counter. Evidently there's a problem with them, every one they have sold seized the flex shaft in the first or second run. Well rather going though that again, I modified it and put a real flex shaft in it..3/16. It made it through a thrashing in my kids hands today and some "speed" runs lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Ramos View Post
    Here's how the seaking 120 fits..... perfect! I picked this seaking up from the ose store. It came with the same connectors my motor came with, so installation is nice and easy.

Yep I knew it's a RTR Hull BUT man it looks nice.

Love green on my boats since I bought my 2 tone green Popeye Hydro.

Pitty it needs work on the the drive line after a few runs but it will be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Racer View Post
    Yep I knew it's a RTR Hull BUT man it looks nice.

Love green on my boats since I bought my 2 tone green Popeye Hydro.

Pitty it needs work on the the drive line after a few runs but it will be worth it.
    Yea I know.... it's not really an rtr because of that in my opinion.i got my replacement shaft from proboat pretty quickly but the fact that mine isn't an isolated problem kinda concerns me. O well, when I sell this one, someone is going to get a much better boat than from the factory that's for sure.

I wonder how the stock motor would have run on 4s ?
    and what kv is that Castle you put in ?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    I wonder how the stock motor would have run on 4s ?
    and what kv is that Castle you put in ?
    The castle is 2400kv. Stock motor is 2000kv. It would probably do fairly well with the stock motor. I may even try it if the castle I'd too much on 4s. I was afraid the boat would lean badly to one side with the 4s pack but as a matter of fact I threw it in the bath tub tonight to see how it works sit and it's just barely leaned it one side. It think it'll be ok. I also added alot more epoxy to it this evening.....where the platform is glued in, it's only glued in the front and rear. I did the sides also and added some to the front an rear. A guy I know has one and he said his detached in the first few runs. I want this to be a trouble free, but quick if i want it to be, boat that my kids can run. It's really for my 5 year old (he said I could have his blackjack 9 in trade for it lol) but it's a tad fast for him. I can throw a 2s pack in it tho and it's will be fun for him.

It weighs 4.562lbs with a 3s pack and gps. Lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast