Thread: Prop shaft questions

Default Prop shaft questions

Hello Guys, I am new to RC boating so please bear with me! I bought my first hobby grade RC boat from my local hobby shop early in the summer. It was the Pro Boat Impulse 17. I was impressed with the quality and durability of the hull and running gear, however it was a little on the slow side. I switched to lithium polymer batteries and installed a stainless steel prop. That made it about 30% faster but it still wasn't fast enough for me! The need for speed kicked in, and of course I wanted faster! I looked into modifications but figured it would be too much work and too expensive. Pro Boat does NOT offer an upgrade kit for that boat. If I were going to upgrade it I would be on my own. The "Boat Guy" at my local hobby shop highly recommended the Aquacraft Minimono. He said it is fast right out of the box, and that he loves his! Without doing any further research I was sold! I bought the Minimono. (BIG MISTAKE) I was impressed with its speed and cornering abilities but disappointed in the poor quality of the propeller shaft, hull and coupler. On two separate occasions it snapped the prop shaft inside of five minutes of running time! I pretty much gave up on the Minimono, decided to bite the bullet and remove the guts from the Minimono and install it in the Impulse 17. I was able to get everything installed and to fit quite nicely. I now face The question of how to configure attaching the prop shaft to the motor. Can I get away with using the stock propeller shaft from the Proboat? (solid 4 mm shaft) Do I go with a flexible shaft, and flex hex? Should I install a universal joint on the existing Pro Boat prop shaft? That is the question! THANK YOU for taking the time to read my little rant! Any and all advice would be helpful. Thanks!!!

DJB
    Last edited by Hydrodyneguy; 12-05-2014 at 01:59 PM.