Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem Child scale hydro

Default Problem Child scale hydro

Hi Guys,
    Just thought I may add a project that I am working on at the moment.
    It will be a 48" scale Problem Child Drag hydro, will be machining out the plug in the coming weeks, then hopefully be pulling a mold early in the new year ( depending on how much time I get on the plug before then)
    Will be selling them once their proven, but I am aiming these at the SAW guys. At the moment I am tooling up to do infusion carbon/Kevlar hulls, the first few may be just hand lay until I can afford the extra machines to do it.
    Take care
    Mick10647634_294952540703421_1192698003_n.jpg10804924_294952537370088_109530125_n.jpg10818614_294952544036754_1982990421_n.jpg

I am willing to convert to SAWism!
    Subscribed!
    Too many boats, not enough time...

48"?
    the specs I have say 46.3"

Wayne Schutte PhdCSE BaSE BaEE. Australian, & damn proud of it YOUTUBE
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

I see my next Drag Boat build!!! Can you imagine this with two 56110 950kv leopards on 12s!! Doc/Mick count me in when you get these ready!!

I had already previously told Doc I wanted one of these....Will they only be offered in CF and Kevlar ? I would prefer one in FG...I am done with cf hulls if at all possible, if not then I guess one more isnt gonna be a big issue...I would have to bribe Chris to do a paint job for me maybe.... Chris, I was thinking 2 of the Proteus motors... DJ
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

Mick and Doc, first off I want to say tks for this one. Its a hull design that there is a New need of for us guys trying to get FE Drag boat racing as a recognized event. If at all possible could you incorporate a sponson heel doubler pls, something that could be drilled and tapped. This only if you guys think this hull is going to need the twin fins like the full size Draghydros use. It would be alot easier to do when the hull is in 2 halves than the problem I have had getting them into the drag hull I'm building currently... tks... DJ

hi guys, this is Docs brainchild, hes the one that deserves any credit for the hull. I am the one who is machining, moldind and building the hulls. First hulls will be going to wayne's to get all the testing all done. once he's happy, then i will release the hulls. To keep these within a category, the length will now be 44".
    I will be doing these as FG as standard, and then Carbon as an extra, becausr of the nature of carbon, they wont be a full carbon but a Carbon reinforcement over Glass. This will allow for impact resistance.
    will keep posting here once things go underway.
    Mick

Ok, very cool. Carbon over Glass is very nice. Really looking forward to seeing this one progress.... DJ

Quote Originally Posted by mickieb49 View Post
    hi guys, this is Docs brainchild, hes the one that deserves any credit for the hull. I am the one who is machining, moldind and building the hulls. First hulls will be going to wayne's to get all the testing all done. once he's happy, then i will release the hulls. To keep these within a category, the length will now be 44".
    I will be doing these as FG as standard, and then Carbon as an extra, becausr of the nature of carbon, they wont be a full carbon but a Carbon reinforcement over Glass. This will allow for impact resistance.
    will keep posting here once things go underway.
    Mick
    This is almost 3 years of design and testing with other hulls/builds/powers , which Ive variously displayed here the good and bad outcomes....

Dont discredit your good works, Mickieb49 ....
    Without talented folks keen to machine, mold and produce test platforms like these, we'd still be racing dugout canoes.
    Thanks, mate

edit: what do you mean, who have you been talking to ?? 'impact resistance' .. :shock:
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

Wow!! Nice job! I wish I had CAD skills like that!!

Just out of curiosity...what CAD program do you fellas use/prefer?
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective"
    45"Speedfreek
    , Fightercat #068 ​, MyYoutube Vids

Andrew
    Find it + Buy it + Twin it + Run it = WOOHOO

I sent Mickieb49 a plethora of diagrams, sketches, photographs, wishes, wants, and obscure corrections to detail ..
    He forwarded that onwards to another, and the cut profile was returned.
    I cannot share the name of person or persons I know not for the cad art .

one of the better programs is Solidworks, this is what i use, aswell as rino, maxsurf. im sure there are many other programs that are just as good, these are some of the better ones.
    drawing in 3d cad takes a hell lot of time, this i dont seem to have so much, so now pay to get my drawings done. this file of the drag hydro is one of those.

well started machining out the lower tub, not too long now.20150125_160744.jpg

Looking the business.

Cool project guys, looking forward to seeing this come together

mickieb49,
    drwayne,
    Im following closely!
    I also plan on making my own hull from CAD -> Plug -> Mold -> Resin infusion.
    On the plug: I assume that the wood is MDF or HDF?
    What is the plan on finish the plug, and can you document it?
    On Molding: Whats your plan? I have read a lot about using a epoxy / FG / CF and vacuum bag to make the molds. Epoxy does not shrink like polyester, so the molds don't warp. You know all about vacuum bagging.
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

Hi Larry,
    The plug on this one is MDF, larger hulls i will use Polyurethane high density foam due to the weights associated .
    I will be documenting the whole build of the molds here . But wont be able to document more machining untill late next week as my machine has decided that the controller needed to quit , so $400 later , new controller, i am hoping i can continue machining then.
    For the Molds, i will be using Poly resins, too much cost associated with epoxy, and honestly adding a few more layers of reinforcements aleviates the benefits of epoxy in the molds .
    For the hulls, my resing pump is only a Polyester resing pump, as it mixes the catylist in at the head. 5cfm vacuum pump. Was going to go with silicone rubber bags for the infusion, but the setup of nearly $1500 for the silicone may well not be worth the expense, so for the imediate time i will be using the conventional plastic bagging material.
    We have a little way to go before the resins will be applied so stay tuned mate, there will be more to come.
    Mick

well started machining out the lower tub, not too long now.20150125_160744.jpg
    Nice. Is that MDF? I'm doing a cowl on a shopbot, but I can't find MDF thick enough. I suppose I could glue a few sheets together? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Shooter,
    I laminate how ever many pieces of MDF together to get the required thickness, just use a good quality glue.
    Mick

mickieb49,
    On molds: I thaught that Poly resins had a 5% or more shrinkage, which can lead to warping of the mold. Correct?
    Epoxy has less than a 1% shrinkage.

I could imagine a process where once the black tooling gel-coat is applied and cured, a vacuum bag process is used to make a mold. Lots of FG and hex foam core are layered up wet, and a few more layers dry are put on top to soak up the extra resin, and function like a breather. the entire thing is put inside of a large vacuum bag.
    Wouldn't this produce a mold with LOTS of fiber, minimum resin, and max strength?
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

Shooter,
    I laminate how ever many pieces of MDF together to get the required thickness, just use a good quality glue.
    Mick
    Thanks. Do you use epoxy? or does wood glue suffice?

larry,
    one thing you have to remember with the shrinkage you are so worried about is that this is on a plug, providing you leave the mold to cure on the plug for about a week, there is literally 0% shrinkage. afterall it has nowhere to shrink as the plug is holding it in shape When you lay up a hull, again providing you dont pull out the hull prematurely then it will have minimal shrinkage.
    Yes you may be right about using a vacuum bag to create the mold, but also you will be creating more unecessary work for yourself, remember that this is a mold and weight is not a issue, if you take a little care laying up the first reinforcement layer, you dont need the bag .
    shooter, i just use exterior wood glue, its the strongest..

What . ... you're not finished yet ?
    Lol

Looks good! yours is 44 inches? I did mine at 37.5 so the Chrysler hemi looked like a Keith Black.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Yes Randy, mine is going to be 44", will be doing 2 sets of sponsons for it, one for oval racing and another set for SAW. Also going to machine out a 32" version too for the electrics, but that may be little way down the track.
    Yours is looking great too mate, looking forward to these both finished.

I've a pair of special order SSS5684 and a pair of TP 5670 ready to bolt into this 44" rocket.
    We'll see what runs the best ! And sell the others Lol

just in the middle of machining the plugs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Woohoo.
    This is looking far more advanced than what we spoke of a few days back !
    Impressive work Mick

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast