Thread: MHZ Hunter build--Brushless or not to brushless

Default MHZ Hunter build--Brushless or not to brushless

Hi guys,
    I have a 69" MHZ Hunter Fountain hull and finally a garage to work and finish it.

Here's what I have ready to go:
    Hull
    MHZ Twin Merc drives
    MHZ counter rotating gearbox
    Inline 70cc twin Zenoah with pipes

Here's my thoughts. I'm seriously considering ditching the gas.....not because I don't like gas but because I race a lot of 5th scale trucks and cars. All brushless electric. So I have the lipos sitting around. From 10s to 12s setups in the 10000mAh range.

Option #1:
    Go with the gas set up. Spill gas all over me, annoy people at the lake(snobs around here)

Option #2:
    Make the sucker brushless. Run either a giant single motor with MGM controller into the gearbox or ditch the gearbox and run two brushless motors direct to the drives.(think they are 15% geared up)

I'm at a loss. I love my brushless stuff. I'm in a wheelchair, so lugging a 69" in boat is already a hassle to get around in addition to gas, spills in my lap blah blah. Brushless just works easier for
    me.

So I'm going to hit you guys up with this. If I were going to run brushless on this hull. What would be the best bet? Single or dual brushless? And the age old question everyone ALWAYS asks.....runtimes......I would rather do high voltage and run the boat easier and I'm happy with a top speed of 50mph ish. What type of run times would you guys guess with 10000mAh+ packs?

I could easily sell my twin motor setup and gearbox to pay for the electric crossover.......

Hmmmmmm.......I'm tired of drinking beers on my own trying to figure out what to do here, give me some input! :)

Based on your post, I would advise you to start with another hull, something smaller, perhaps 40-50".
    Your 69" hull will require twin brushless power (actually TWO monster motors on HV, not one). It will be heavy to transport, expensive to equip, and you will likely be disappointed in the runtime. Charging $1000 in batteries to run for 5 minutes isn't for everyone.
    With a smaller boat you will have less difficulty transporting it, getting it in and out of the water, and in a lot of ways they're more fun to drive.

Edit: I am speaking in regards to building an FE boat. I'm sure of course you still want to build the big boat, but I honestly think you would be best off using the IC power you have and save the FE project for something smaller.

I know some one who runs a big SV 43 with twin TP5850 600kv on just 10s with some 300A SF esc's. That boat
    runs great and he has really long runtimes (7-8min). He turns gas props, like 70mm 2 blade props. He runs 10.000mAh
    10s on each motor. Speeds are around 55-60mph. Your hunter will be al little slower because of the hull design but with this
    setup you would have a good running boat without spending 4000$ on Lehner 3080's and MGM 400A esc's. Still, like said
    above, this will be a very heavy boat and not that easy to transport. Also battery cost will be high... Think twice before
    going brushless because it will be expensive. Good luck with your project!

Todays i think electric is not a big issue if you have the supporting stuff already (Chargers etc.).

I drove Hunter in 2006 or so, with two 370/50 and 4x32 Cells GP3300. I sold it to netherland, there is a Video of it:

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h...ed=0CHAQrQMwGA

This thing was trimmed on the edge running 60mph+.
    With todays options and powerlevel via lipos no big Problem, even it is an big unstepped hull.

Even two 25063 MGMs with 12 or 14S on Motors Spinning 22k load you should be fine. i would choose overall 12S3P for both drives in the beginning.

We brainstormed about a single driven Taboo, with a 7040 Lehner lately. Should be no problem basically.
    The Point with the big scale monos is: you can make them light to save a lot of power. But this hurts the behaviour in the other way, such a boat has to be inertial (maybe the wrong word!?)

Regards
    Ralf
    WR T-Mono 108.95mph