Thread: Sharpen sponson edges

Default Sharpen sponson edges...worth it?

sitting here thinking....about the little things that I could do to improve my rivercat. I have sanded the bottom of the sonsons flat. It seemed to help. the boat was more stable, noticeably. Ive been contemplating on sharpenig the edges of the sponsons. the inside edge is rounded and the bottom edge is rounded. Is it worth it? Would I notice a speed increase (.5mph is fine with me lol) or a stabilitly increase? anyone done back to back testing?
    Last edited by kfxguy; 12-02-2014 at 08:26 AM.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Anything that runs on the water should always have sharp straight edges or you incur drag and or less speed. You are on the right track.

Absolutely, they should be straight and true. A lot of the TFL hulls have lots of wave or irregularity on the inside rail.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    sitting here thinking....about the little things that I could do to improve my rivercat. I have sanded the botoom of the sonsons flat. It seemed to help. the boat was more stable, noticeably. Ive been contemplating on sharpenig the edges of the sponsons. the inside edge is rounded and the bottom edge is rounded. Is it worth it? Would I notice a speed increase (.5mph is fine with me lol) or a stabilitly increase? anyone done back to back testing?
    and dont forget the trailing edges of the sponsons so the water breaks cleanly. otherwise, the water will start to ride up the back of the sponson and create alot of drag.

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    and dont forget the trailing edges of the sponsons so the water breaks cleanly. otherwise, the water will start to ride up the back of the sponson and create alot of drag.
    Mine is rounded, so I guess there's room for a little improvement. ...
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was