Thread: Oh No, NOT AGAIN !!

Default Oh No, NOT AGAIN !!

Just in case you're getting bored beating yourself over the head with a watercooled lipo, I thought it prurient to revive (with this new discovery) the old "rough vs. smooth bottom" rivalry

Enjoy

UCLA announces invention of liquid repelling surface texture

By City News Service

Posted: 11/29/14, 11:37 AM PST |
    0 Comments

WESTWOOD - A surface texture that is impervious to all liquids, no matter what the surface is made of, has been invented at UCLA, the school announced this week.

The engineers perfected a method of etching flathead nail-shaped patterns using nanoscale technology to cover a surface. At 20 micrometers wide, each nail is much smaller than the width of a human hair.

The pattern is etched into glass, metal or plastic, and makes it repel liquid and corrosion. The researchers said the texture could have applications from tiny biomedical devices in a human being to large industrial anti-rust applications.

Engineering professor Chang-Jin “C.J.” Kim and his postdoctoral student, Tingyi “Leo” Liu, published the discovery in the jopurnal Sciece.

The nonoscale detailing makes all liquid hold together as a sphere, no matter how wet, Liu said.

“On our textured surface, liquid sits on a cushion that is 95 percent air,” he said. “And its own surface tension holds it do it can roll over the surface without collapsing.” [ HMMM>>>>>]

The surface thus becomes a “super-repellant” entity that cannot be permeated by any known liquid, from water to oils to the most-permeating liquid known science, a solvent that can soak into almost anything else.

Ina human body, micro-etched devices could avoid fouling by biofluids.

The process is believed to be UV-light and temperature repellant, so on a huge scale, it could prevent rust on things like cars.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Technology marching forward Yikes. Nice find Tony
    Do It Like You Mean It .....or Don't Bother

I agree , nice find although I imagine it's a micro version of fish scales so to speak that lets them glide through the water slick as glass.... but then again this goes back to the age old argument that a obs surface (overly bumpy) on a boat works better than a smooth surface.

I've always liked a good buffed out turtle wax, or Mr zoggs, but a good treatment of rain x seems to work slick as snot too.....
    Last edited by gsbuickman; 12-01-2014 at 01:56 PM.

Just for the record I'm not at all interested in reviving this controversy. I'm possibly just wanting to sit back and watch where it goes. No bad vibes please !
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

I considered trying this a few years ago, but never got around to it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPM8OR6W6WE

The corrosion/repulsion aspects of this technology, if valid, are huge.

Douggie

Pondering this technology/theory. Swimmers, yachts etc have been trying/using these ideas for a long time. They all go through the water a lot slower, with much more contact with the water than any of our boats do. I'm thinking that it just may make such a small difference overall that it is a bit of a tail chasing exercise. Is there any real hard data that this or that is better on high speed model boats?
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    Pondering this technology/theory. Swimmers, yachts etc have been trying/using these ideas for a long time. They all go through the water a lot slower, with much more contact with the water than any of our boats do. I'm thinking that it just may make such a small difference overall that it is a bit of a tail chasing exercise. Is there any real hard data that this or that is better on high speed model boats?

Hi Peter,

Posting this was just a bit of an attempt at humor (hence the title). I've been largely bored/frustrated with parts but no hulls for two scheduled customer builds and tend to spew nonsense while simultaneously waiting impatiently and twiddling my thumbs.Of all the topics strenuously debated over the years here and elsewhere the "smooth vs. rough" bottom issue holds a close to the top position in unsolved runaway debate. Next on the list of topics to create a firestorm of granfalloon*-ish discourse is :

" Increasing your boat's terminal velocity by squeezing the trigger harder"

* A granfalloon, in the fictional religion of Bokononism (created by Kurt Vonnegut in his 1963 novel Cat's Cradle), is defined as a "false karass". That is, it is a group of people who affect a shared identity or purpose, but whose mutual association is actually meaningless.
    Last edited by properchopper; 12-01-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Surely this can be proven easily, take a cat carefully trim it by running away from yourself in a straight line, sand one sponson and wax/neverwet the other, run away from yourself again and see which way it turns. The sponson on the outside of the turn has the lowest drag so apply that finish to the one on the inside.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Surely this can be proven easily, take a cat carefully trim it by running away from yourself in a straight line, sand one sponson and wax/neverwet the other, run away from yourself again and see which way it turns. The sponson on the outside of the turn has the lowest drag so apply that finish to the one on the inside.
    That method only applies if your sponsons are in the water while underway

drifter 10.jpg

I thought about that b'nano tech coating too.

This will make your head hurt some more.
    Dimples
    Noisy person