Thread: Cap bank install tutorial

Default Cap bank install tutorial

I'm thinking of installing a cap bank on an old 60amp aquacraft esc. Anyone know where I can find out how to do this without blowing myself up? Thanks!!

edit:
    Pics added down below. I'm just trying to figure out what to do with this old esc.
    Last edited by Bigsnaff; 11-30-2014 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Clarification.

It's pretty easy. Positive to positive and negative to negative. What other info you need? I just put one on my swordfish 240 last night.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Cool

Not sure why you want a cap "bank" on an AQ 60A ESC unless you're using 12C/2200mAh cells, but here is what I did when the original cap failed. I used what I had handy, a 500uF or 1000uF would have worked fine too. Just mind the polarity. This one has been on the ESC for over two years, works great.

AQ Cap Bank.jpg
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Not sure why you want a cap "bank" on an AQ 60A ESC unless you're using 12C/2200mAh cells, but here is what I did when the original cap failed. I used what I had handy, a 500uF or 1000uF would have worked fine too. Just mind the polarity. This one has been on the ESC for over two years, works great.

AQ Cap Bank.jpg

Same here - been beating on this for years :

DSC06245.JPG
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

image.jpg
    This is what I've got to work with, I got it with some other stuff I just got. (This is my first attempt at getting a pic up here!). Anyway, it looks like the cap wire burned through, but the cap looks perfect. The extra cap bank was in the bag and it's four caps of 35v 470uF. What would you guys do? Just resolder the old cap connection? Add the cap bank? Remove the old cap? I think I'm leaning towards just adding the cap bank and reconnecting the old cap, would that work? Help!

If you are concerned about the old cap, remove it and just use the new cap bank instead. Otherwise go with your leaning should be fine.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Perfect! Thanks to all who chimed in! :)