Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Say it ain't so, PLEASE! Atomik Stupidity!

Default Say it ain't so, PLEASE! Atomik Stupidity!

Now, I've been using lipo's ever since they came into rc boating and no one has ever needed to cool their batteries while running unless maybe you live in AZ, TX or somewhere the like but, even then Lipo chemistry is designed to work better warm than cold.

So why do I call Atomik Stupid? Well just go have a gander:

http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...eid=171bd9d99b

Why do they want to water cool a battery? Are Atomik packs known to over heat or something? Does this allow them to increase their "C" rating??

Does anyone else find this gimmick an accident waiting to happen?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nortavlag Bulc

Ray
    Thanks for the laugh , that is pretty funny.
    Happy Thanksgiving

WOW! I mean who wouldnt pay $180 each for a 5000mah 4s pack? Thats a helluva deal. Someone over at atomic must have bumped their head.....hard!

If you have to water cool your battery....youve got something wrong!

and lastly....we all just love extra water lines going all over the place. It just looks so cool!

what a flop!
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Maybe they hired the G-Freak guys?! The custom stage 9 water cooled lipo setup! 500$ boat for 2500$ lol. I kind of miss reading about those guys, was always good for a laugh.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

good one guys...Like Ray is saying WTH, a gimmick to charge more money and a dangerous one at that...Atomik never has been the best with boat stuff to begin with !!! now this...I hope no newbs get caught up in this one... happy TG brothers.... DJ
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

Please... PLEASE, use these to race against me... I'll shake in my boots if you like...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Default Warning will robertson !!!! dont buy these

Merged threads fellas.

Ray gets the credit on finding this major nono product so here is the link to the thread https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...omik-Stupidity!

DONT fall for this one guys.....
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 11-25-2014 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Merged threads
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

In order to understand this a little better, change your point of view from one who has some experience in FE (and like Travis correctly observes : If you have to water cool your battery....youve got something wrong!) and think of yourself as the type of customer who's attracted to the marketing of products like Atomic : Box-Art Decal Boats for the new-to-the-hobby entry level boater. These (if my thinking is correct) are the sport running guys who very likely run long enough to overheat and overdraw their packs so watercooling them might make sense to them. It's all how you look at it. Atomic is in business to move product (as any successful business is) so they see a need (legitimate/sensible or not) and they fill it. Ka-Ching. Of course we're all to sophisticated to fall for any of these silly products (other than that goofy phone-thing in your pocket). And my Pet Rock
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    In order to understand this a little better, change your point of view from one who has some experience in FE (and like Travis correctly observes : If you have to water cool your battery....youve got something wrong!) and think of yourself as the type of customer who's attracted to the marketing of products like Atomic : Box-Art Decal Boats for the new-to-the-hobby entry level boater. These (if my thinking is correct) are the sport running guys who very likely run long enough to overheat and overdraw their packs so watercooling them might make sense to them. It's all how you look at it. Atomic is in business to move product (as any successful business is) so they see a need (legitimate/sensible or not) and they fill it. Ka-Ching. Of course we're all to sophisticated to fall for any of these silly products (other than that goofy phone-thing in your pocket). And my Pet Rock
    Lmao! Agreed.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Who is will Robertson?

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Who is will Robertson?
    OK, lil bro now the age diff is showing up ....Will Robertson is the kid off of Lost in space, the robot would say warning Will Robertson or Danger Will Robertson and wave its arms....dang now I'm feeling ancient !!!!

This is getting personal now !!! Leave my pet rock outa this ! ....so well said Tony, we need to do whatever we can to try and point out to the newbs the mistakes in how they think it is and how dangerous these gimmicks can be...too often I had customers come into shop and say things about how the Manufacturer said it could or would do this. They leave out, "At your own risk"....

Rotflmao!!!

Quote Originally Posted by darin jordan View Post
    please... Please, use these to race against me... I'll shake in my boots if you like...
    Nortavlag Bulc

Venom's batteries have always been a bit suspect.....

Perhaps they are for and designed by "professional" boaters only.... (read between the lines as you will)

I love ya Tony and you make a point that's for sure. Some people will buy these and swear by them like some other batts for other reasons. BTW I'm still using a Nokia 6010 for texting mainly and emerg. phone calls only. I'm not into stupid phones myself...

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
    OK, lil bro now the age diff is showing up ....Will Robertson is the kid off of Lost in space, the robot would say warning Will Robertson or Danger Will Robertson and wave its arms....dang now I'm feeling ancient !!!!
    lol.... Yeah, we're old...

Nortavlag Bulc

This is getting personal now !!! Leave my pet rock outa this ! ....so well said Tony, we need to do whatever we can to try and point out to the newbs the mistakes in how they think it is and how dangerous these gimmicks can be...too often I had customers come into shop and say things about how the Manufacturer said it could or would do this. They leave out, "At your own risk"....

True. Of all the things that could negatively impact the reputation of our hobby, negligent battery circumstances rank right on top of the list. I'm not a thermodynamic engineer but I've been around long enough to know (again reinforcing Travis's point) that the best way to use batteries safely is to avoid, (through setup and runtime) getting battery temperature in the danger zone and NOT by cooling something that wants to overheat. I'll also add that doing any meaningful full-density pack cooling could require a fairly sophisticated cooling grid array inside the pack and I'll go out on a limb here and speculate that this is NOT the case with the watercooled Venom packs.

The specs are also, at least to me, questionable : (click the "specifications" tab)

http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...d-lipo-battery

They claim 100C on this 2S 5000mah battery (which shows 50C on the label) ; and 500A continuous draw capability with a 700A burst. Really ??

Also stated is a 1C charge rate. I've been of the opinion that any premium pack can be charged at up to 5C.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

I wonder how good that warranty is? It doesn't cover water damage, yet they water cooled the packs!!! Oh well it is good for laugh. Hahahahahahahaha.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

lol! I used to watch lost in space too....I'm not that young but i guess back then i was young enough to where i didnt recall that! doh! lol

" And my Pet Rock "
    I have a bald Chia pet.

I cant wait to see how many other manufacturers jump on this idea....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by revoltrunner View Post
    I cant wait to see how many other manufacturers jump on this idea....LOL
    Ask and ye shall receive...... http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-6500WC-74-Spartan-Pair.htm And they even come with a pump!!

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive...... http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-6500WC-74-Spartan-Pair.htm And they even come with a pump!!
    Does a free griddle plate come with it also to have a BBQ when you get the boat back. That is just fantastic lateral thinking on Maxamps part rc boat/bbq.
    Andrew
    Find it + Buy it + Twin it + Run it = WOOHOO

Quote Originally Posted by Grazacind View Post
    Does a free griddle plate come with it also to have a BBQ when you get the boat back. That is just fantastic lateral thinking on Maxamps part rc boat/bbq.
    I'm thinkin' you put a regular water pickup in the boat and use the pump to put the fire out!!

Looks like I better hide this from the kids

DSC06226.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    I'm thinkin' you put a regular water pickup in the boat and use the pump to put the fire out!!
    Bahahahahahahaha
    Andrew
    Find it + Buy it + Twin it + Run it = WOOHOO

It's WILL ROBINSON!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a great Xmas idea for Peterson... Ordering some now

I thought this was Will Robertson.
    willierobertson__140128162450.jpg
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Cool

Will Robinson, as in Robinson Crusoe.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast