Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Proboat Blackjack 29" V3 - new hull, 2000kv motor, 120A ESC & EC5 plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Maybe I missed it but is the canopy of a thicker construction than the last version? The old one would disintegrate if you stuffed it just right.
    Terry, the ENTIRE boat is "thicker"... Heavier glass layup, new canopy opening shape (rectangular instead of curved), glass canopy, etc...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by iop65 View Post
    angle?
    Lil positive trim. My pics don't work sometimes. Charge your battery's and go test.

Gregster82 put a link to the manual in post #27... There is a chart in it, the chart & default values are exactly the same as the Seaking chart I attached to post #9.

Here are my recommendations based on real world experience's...

Item #1 - default = 2 - direction = [Forward & Reverse] -- Change it to 1 [Forward Only]

Item #2 - default = [Auto] {Let the ESC detect the number of cells of your LiPo pack(s)} - I don't trust auto, set it to the actual number of cells the LiPo pack(s) have. -- For my SW26 running a single 3S pack, the setting is 3 - for Miss Geico 29 & Impulse 31 the setting is 4 (2x 2S packs)

Item #3 - default = 4 - [Low Voltage Cutoff = 3.2V/Cell] - I'm comfortable with that setting & use it

Item #4 - default = 5 - [timing = 15.00°] - As stated in post #9 "that is wayyyy too high!!" it will make your motor run hot, probably the ESC & batteries too, also lower run times because of higher amp draw.

Real world experience with my boats has taught me that 7.5° timing is top of the mark, past that & problems start. With my trucks it's 7.5° or 11.25° depending on the setup & other factors. The reduced timing has resulted in cooler running motors & batteries.

In this thread... https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...r-tp-3630-1950 - Doug told me to set timing to Zero or 3.75° max (post #50). He has far more experience than I do, needless to say his advice will be followed.

Programming the Seaking \ Turnigy & various clones of them is very easy & straight forward, especially with the program card \ box.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_3_0_5 View Post
    Anyone have a programming box and can tell me what the factory setting of the esc are ?
    It would be greatly appreciated
    AQ MiniMono - CopterX 430XL 3550kv BL Outrunner + Seaking(V2) 35A on 2S VERY Fast
    Pro Boat SW26v3 - 2860-2600kv + Seaking(V2) 90A on 3S, Build in Progress
    Pro Boat Stealthwake 23 - Stock For Now - Brushless Down The Road

Guys... not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, but I think that many spend WAY too much time worrying about timing and ESC settings and not enough on prop work and setup. The gains from ESC timing is really quite minimal, especially in comparison to getting a prop that works just right.

I've searched the internet until my fingers are bleedin from typin.... still no BJ29v3 owners have posted a video of their v3 running 4s or 6s!!! *sigh*

Too busy worrying about how to program the ESC

Quote Originally Posted by fusion_m8 View Post
    I've searched the internet until my fingers are bleedin from typin.... still no BJ29v3 owners have posted a video of their v3 running 4s or 6s!!! *sigh*
    AQ MiniMono - CopterX 430XL 3550kv BL Outrunner + Seaking(V2) 35A on 2S VERY Fast
    Pro Boat SW26v3 - 2860-2600kv + Seaking(V2) 90A on 3S, Build in Progress
    Pro Boat Stealthwake 23 - Stock For Now - Brushless Down The Road

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Yes, its a better canopy, fiberglass to boot. I use a Tiqueman FG hatch on my geico for a few years now.
    Guys I just ran my Blackjack29 v3. Bought 2 Dynamite 3s 5000mah 50c. lipos and I upgraded the prop to an Octura M440 Sharpened and Balanced. This thing absolutely halls! Clocked at 58.6 mph!! Ran it for 9 minutes and motor and ESC warm but not hot by any means. This has the 2000kv motor and 120 Amp ESC. The new hull is awesome and rides super smooth and stable. Just wanted to share.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2fly27 View Post
    Guys I just ran my Blackjack29 v3. Bought 2 Dynamite 3s 5000mah 50c. lipos and I upgraded the prop to an Octura M440 Sharpened and Balanced. This thing absolutely halls! Clocked at 58.6 mph!! Ran it for 9 minutes and motor and ESC warm but not hot by any means. This has the 2000kv motor and 120 Amp ESC. The new hull is awesome and rides super smooth and stable. Just wanted to share.
    That's awesome! Can't wait to go run mine now.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddyroe View Post
    That's awesome! Can't wait to go run mine now.
    I also made sure to apply some marine grease to my flex shaft!

Must check out one of the new ones, the new(ish) Blackjack is by far my favorite of the PB cats(paint wise).
    They do run very nice blueprinted and well set up.
    Might have to wait and see if I can pick up a used hull and hardware. Have a bunch of 1800kv old style PB motors I can stick in it, it would be a 4s boat. Only one guy in the group runs 6s, everybody else runs 4s setups. Done the straight line speed thing, not my cup of tea, my boats have to be fast around a course with 4 or 5 other boats.
    I do get a kick out of watching some video of the top guys doing SAW runs, what they are doing speed wise is very impressive, those boats are dialed in to perfection for the conditions at that exact time, hours and hours of testing. Lots of money spent on equipment who's life was measured in seconds.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Default Proboat Blackjack 29 v3, 6s LIPO, 5000mah 50c

Here's my Blackjack 29 v3 on 6s, (2 Reaction 3s 5000mah, 50c lipos). Sorry quality isn't the best but this thing moves!!!

Ran better today with a prop change. Water was choppy. A few boats had passed.

What prop did the boat like?
    Noisy person

GrimRacer 42x66 was fastest.
    40x52 3blade was fun only ran 50.4 but accelerated hard.
    Last edited by Buddyroe; 02-15-2015 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2fly27 View Post
    Here's my Blackjack 29 v3 on 6s, (2 Reaction 3s 5000mah, 50c lipos). Sorry quality isn't the best but this thing moves!!!
    Thanks for the vid, perhaps the COG and strut still needs some ironing out but the V3 appears to still porpoise a bit on full throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by fusion_m8 View Post
    Thanks for the vid, perhaps the COG and strut still needs some ironing out but the V3 appears to still porpoise a bit on full throttle.
    Thanks. This video was still using the stock prop. I will try and upload a video using my Octura M440 Sharpened and Balanced as well. Def made a difference.

I just noticed you were running 6s. Did you make any 4s runs?
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    I just noticed you were running 6s. Did you make any 4s runs?
    Yes, I made a few 4s runs in the beginning but was considerably slower and not that exciting to run.

Stock v3 on 6s and cnc 442 ran 45.7mph
    What's the total pitch of the 42x66?

Last edited by Mr_3_0_5; 02-19-2015 at 07:06 PM.

Threw a m642 hit 50.4 and broke the flex shaft in half

I took out a shaft my 2 nd run. Think I hit reverse by accident. I removed the reverse and have not had any problems.

Now my Geico has been on the shelf for way to long, so just sold it today, looking into getting the Lucas oil instead ( I can not get the wawawa out of my Geico hull, and from the Clips on tube from LO it seems to ride much better ) But seeing this , has made me think twice. this seems like a great step up from the Geico hull. My friends Mystic was so much better to tune in, and now with this V3 hull, they must have done it all right.
    Just wondering about the offset rudder, was the mystic design, were it would sit flush on the back of the hull , not working ? . I have the kinteck kit on my Geico, and I find it 'dragging' in the water, seems from the video this hull has some of the same design on the rudder as the Kinteck .
    Drammen rock City

Hi guys,

I'll chime in here and share some info that might be useful to some of you. This info has come about through development as well as from running my personal boat for fun.

1. My boat is all stock with the exception of having the bottom of the strut even with the ride pads. Prop is stock, not balanced.
    2. With the stock timing of 15* I got a best of 50.8 mph with our Dynamite Reaction 80C 5700mah 11.1v packs, 6s. The system draws 80 amps continuous at that voltage/speed.
    3. With the timing set to 7.5* the boat ran a best of 45.4 mph with the same packs, but amperage went down to 70 amps continuous, and motor connector temps dropped as well. This option leaves more room to play with props if you want to get back up to 50+, at your own risk.
    4. I have found that depending on your battery weight, CG, and playing with the strut angle, you can minimize the bounce of the boat, for specific water conditions. Sometimes I only get a little bounce as it passes over my it's own ripples. I'm not saying blue printing doesn't work. It's just not the only option.

Hope this helps!
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez View Post
    Hi guys,

I'll chime in here and share some info that might be useful to some of you. This info has come about through development as well as from running my personal boat for fun.

1. My boat is all stock with the exception of having the bottom of the strut even with the ride pads. Prop is stock, not balanced.
    2. With the stock timing of 15* I got a best of 50.8 mph with our Dynamite Reaction 80C 5700mah 11.1v packs, 6s. The system draws 80 amps continuous at that voltage/speed.
    3. With the timing set to 7.5* the boat ran a best of 45.4 mph with the same packs, but amperage went down to 70 amps continuous, and motor connector temps dropped as well. This option leaves more room to play with props if you want to get back up to 50+, at your own risk.
    4. I have found that depending on your battery weight, CG, and playing with the strut angle, you can minimize the bounce of the boat, for specific water conditions. Sometimes I only get a little bounce as it passes over my it's own ripples. I'm not saying blue printing doesn't work. It's just not the only option.

Hope this helps!
    Dynamite Reaction 80C 5700mah 11.1v packs. Do they come with EC5 connection ?

Buddyroe, no they don't offer those with EC5 connectors. We changed the connectors on them to test them with this system. These are from when we were finding packs to recommend for this system. We opted to go recommend the 5000mAH, 50C packs because they are more affordable and honestly, the data didn't show enough of a gain to sway us to recommend the 80C packs.

I used those as an example because those happened to be the packs I used last. Personally, I only run Reaction 50C packs.
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez View Post
    Hi guys,

3. With the timing set to 7.5* the boat ran
      a best of 45.4 mph with the same packs, but amperage went down to 70 amps continuous, and motor connector temps dropped as well. This option leaves more room to play with props if you want to get back up to 50+, at your own risk.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for the good review. One question. When you say your strut is level with the pads are you raising it up a little from where it normally sits when it comes out of the box? I've been trying to mess with different strut positions (only raising it) and not seeing much of a difference. Any feedback would be appreciated.

As a person responsible for product development, I am sure Mr. Lopez ran the prop stock unbalanced for testing purposes. With all due respect, I would just like to remind you that for your maximum enjoyment, all metal props ( CNC props may be the exception here although I carefully thin their leading edges ) should be balanced, sharpened ( thinned) properly. The Proboat prop is heavy and some are more out of balanced than others in their "raw" form, and can cause excessive wear on the bushing of the strut.
    Last edited by tlandauer; 02-25-2015 at 01:14 AM.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    As a person responsible for product development, I am sure Mr. Lopez ran the prop stock unbalanced for testing purposes. With all due respect, I would just like to remind you that for your maximum enjoyment, all metal props ( CNC props may be the exception here although I carefully thin their leading edges ) should be balanced, sharpened ( thinned) properly. The Proboat prop is heavy and some are more out of balanced than others in their "raw" form, and can cause excessive wear on the bushing of the strut.
    In many early tests with the Miss Geico (original), I actually found a 1 to 1.5mph increase using the stock black plastic prop over the original metal ones.

The newer metal ones are much better.

Like any metal prop... (yes, Grimracer props included), the owner would be well advised to at least minimally prepare them. No two out of the package are exactly the same.

Thanks for all the info! Going to find some calm water soon as weather gets right and try putting the timing up to 15. Hoping for 60. I will video it again.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast