Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Proboat Blackjack 29" V3 - new hull, 2000kv motor, 120A ESC & EC5 plugs.

What's the point of reprogramming it via the tx?

What's the point of reprogramming it via the tx? Some people prefer to do it that way.

I use the card because got used to doing that way from working R/C trucks for the past 4+ years.

Guess it boils down to personal preference - to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_3_0_5 View Post
    What's the point of reprogramming it via the tx?
    AQ MiniMono - CopterX 430XL 3550kv BL Outrunner + Seaking(V2) 35A on 2S VERY Fast
    Pro Boat SW26v3 - 2860-2600kv + Seaking(V2) 90A on 3S, Build in Progress
    Pro Boat Stealthwake 23 - Stock For Now - Brushless Down The Road

I only did it because I don't have the card yet. Usually all my ESC's are different than hobbywing and I just got into boats. So me itching to go drive the boat I did it the transmitter way. I got a card coming.

Quote Originally Posted by RCBoaterGuy View Post
    What's the point of reprogramming it via the tx? Some people prefer to do it that way.

I use the card because got used to doing that way from working R/C trucks for the past 4+ years.

Guess it boils down to personal preference - to each their own.

Can anyone please confirm the flex shaft size before I order some props

Flex Shaft or the prop shaft??

Most RTR's (of this size) have .150" flex's (.187" if no liner) & 3/16" prop shafts - the majority of aftermarket props in America are 3/16" smooth bore...
    ABC, Grim Racer, Octura, Prather, etc. - I honestly cannot see why PB would stray off course for this boat. Doing so would severely limit they're customer's prop choices for this model.

FYI: European's seem to prefer 4mm - both smooth bore & screw on.

Last edited by RCBoaterGuy; 02-03-2015 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Add Prop Info
    AQ MiniMono - CopterX 430XL 3550kv BL Outrunner + Seaking(V2) 35A on 2S VERY Fast

Hello Mr_3_0_5,
    I can indeed confirm that the drive cable for this boat is .150 and has a 3/16 propeller shaft.

As afar as ESC programing via the transmitter, I am working with Dynamite to get the information available to everyone ASAP.

Thank you for your patience.
    Last edited by Rafael_Lopez; 02-03-2015 at 06:49 PM.
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

Default Programming The ESC Part-36

Rafael,
    By any chance have you read any of the other 35 posts in this thread?? The topic of programming the ESC has been beat to death...

In Post #9 I suggested using the HobbyWing program box...

In Post #19 Pedro Ramos informed us that he had successfully programmed the ESC using a HobbyWing Program card as I suggested in post #9

In Post #22 Gregster82 informed us that he had successfully programmed the ESC using his transmitter by following the instructions in the HobbyWing ESC manual I provided a link to in post #9.

In Post #27 Gregster82 informed us that: Horizon sent him the manual for the esc and that he found discrepancy's in [transmitter] calibration. He went on to say: they dont say it can he programmed by transmitter. Weird.....

I D/L'ed the Dynamite manual & found the discrepancy's gregster82 is talking about, what he said is true. The Dynamite manual is wrong, the HobbyWing manual is right.

In Post #30 Gregster82 states he did it [transmitter calibration] the same way I outlined in post #29. He went on to say... "Funny how we are already ahead of proboat on this issue"

The program box that Dynamite is working on will look nearly identical to the HobbyWing box seen in post #9 the only difference will be the face plate.

Sorry guy, gets kinda tiring seeing the same questions (that have already been answered) asked over & over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez View Post
    Hello Mr_3_0_5,
    I can indeed confirm that the drive cable for this boat is .150 and has a 3/16 propeller shaft.

As afar as ESC programing via the transmitter, I am working with Dynamite to get the information available to everyone ASAP.

Thank you for your patience.
    Last edited by RCBoaterGuy; 02-12-2015 at 06:10 PM.

I apologize if my comment offended you or rubbed you the wrong way, that wasn't my intention. I did read the entire thread and wanted to acknowledge the discrepancies in the manual as a representative of Horizon Hobby. I really don't feel that anyone was ahead of Pro Boat in any way, regarding this ESC. Changing or updating a manual doesn't happen overnight, and as much as we try not to, we do make mistakes but we do our best to step up and try to remedy them as best as possible.

As far as the calibration, forgive me if you already know this, this ESC has an auto calibration feature which Pro Boat and Dynamite decided would work best, in this product. The ESC will respond to the manual calibration, as you all know, but it is not necessary.

Like many other companies, we develop products in partnership with manufacturers who may already have that item on the market, but our products are tailored to our specifications, whether it be programing, the quality of the internals, or rating specifications.

In case anyone is curious, here is a little background about myself. I've been involved with RC since I was 16. I'm currently 39. I've been building my own RC boats for 6 years now, I'm not new to boating or related electronics. I've worked for Horizon Hobby for more than 2 years now and worked my way from Product Support, through other departments, up to Product Development, as of 4 months ago. Although I wasn't yet a PD when this ESC was developed, I guarantee there is nothing more you can tell me regarding it's programing.

Sorry for arriving late to the party. From here on out, I will try and keep up as best as possible.

Rafael,
    By any chance have you read any of the other 35 posts in this thread?? The topic of programming the ESC has been beat to death...

In Post #9 I suggested using the HobbyWing program box...

In Post #19 Pedro Ramos informed us that he had successfully programmed the ESC using a HobbyWing Program card as I suggested in post #9

In Post #22 Gregster82 informed us that he had successfully programmed the ESC using his transmitter by following the instructions in the HobbyWing ESC manual I provided a link to in post #9.

In Post #27 Gregster82 informed us that: Horizon sent him the manual for the esc and that he found discrepancy's in [transmitter] calibration. He went on to say: they dont say it can he programmed by transmitter. Weird.....

I D/L'ed the Dynamite manual & found the discrepancy's gregster82 is talking about, what he said is true. The Dynamite manual is wrong, the HobbyWing manual is right.

In Post #30 Gregster82 states he did it [transmitter calibration] the same way I outlined in post #29. He went on to say... "Funny how we are already ahead of proboat on this issue"

The program box that Dynamite is working on will look nearly identical to the three examples attached to this post, the only difference will be the face plate.

Go here... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ming_Card.html - click on the files tab & look at face plate #2 - look familiar?? Yes, that is a HobbyWing Seaking program box faceplate. That is because the Turnigy PB is a relabeled HobbyWing box - the Onyx box is also a relabeled HobbyWing box.

Any more questions about programming the Dynamite (aka HobbyWing Seaking v3) ESC found in the new Proboat Blackjack 29 Version 3 boat??
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

Flex Shaft or the prop shaft??

FYI: European's seem to prefer 4mm - both smooth bore & screw on.
    not correct

M4 screw on or DD 3/16"

4mm bore don't know who uses that?

It was just an observation - a result of hunting for props on the internet & checking out boats recently, ones that are not from the big name companies such as AquaCraft, Proboat & so on.

This is one place I checked out (RTR & ARTR)... http://www.tobsd.com/index.aspx - everyone that I've looked at says it has a 4mm flex drive. Most of the HK boats I've checked out (27~32 inches) also say 4mm flex drive.

Maybe I got confused somewhere along the line?? Certainly wasn't my intention to mislead anyone. I would delete the post, but you quoted me, sooo...

Quote Originally Posted by iop65 View Post
    not correct

M4 screw on or DD 3/16"

4mm bore don't know who uses that?

Thanks for all the info here guys you have been very helpful

So I've been trying to get rid of this dreaded wa wa wa. I've adjusted the strut in all kinds of positions as well as moved the batteries up and down the trays and Followed chiefs strut mod.
    I've been reading on here that the cg should be 1/3 of the boats length.Maybe I'm not understanding this properly but if I were to put a dowel under the hull shouldn't I be aiming to balance the boat at 8.7 inches from the transom?
    Or is it from the ride pads? Will trim tabs help ?

flex : 3.2 mm , 4.7 or 6.3 mm these are common sizes
    every european seller has stuff for these sizes

So I've been trying to get rid of this dreaded wa wa wa. I've adjusted the strut in all kinds of positions as well as moved the batteries up and down the trays and Followed chiefs strut mod.
    I've been reading on here that the cg should be 1/3 of the boats length.Maybe I'm not understanding this properly but if I were to put a dowel under the hull shouldn't I be aiming to balance the boat at 8.7 inches from the transom?
    Or is it from the ride pads? Will trim tabs help ?
    I am not familiar with V3, but if I am correct, as current as V2 it was essentially the same hull as Miss Geico V1 which has a notorious wa-wa-wa- issue. Said issue is not easily fixed with adjustments of strut , batteries' position , etc.
    The ride pads on that hull is somewhat less than ideal ( I am being polite here), to get rid of that you need to "blue print" them, fill them out with Bondo body filler( ok) or West Marine's Marine Rx epoxy putty ( best) . So all the concave areas are flat and no rockers ( bumps) as well, and most importantly straighten (shaping with the said putty/filler) the sposon transom into a 90* affair. I am talking the heels of the last ride pads on the back of the boat On the MG V1 it is slanted , not sure what the shape on the BlackJack V3 is....
    This is REALLY a Helpful guide :
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...nting-Tutorial
    Good luck.
    BTW, installing trim tabs on a Cat this size and with moderate speeds is not apparently helpful, only two or three people tried it and one found it was helpful, the debate was a messy one , it is up to you. But blue printing is really an honest way of attempting to get rid of the wa-wa-wa.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Hi. I have the new Blackjack 29 v3. I was running 4s but moved up to 6s and enjoying the faster speed. Any recommendations for a prop that will improve top speed on 6s? I have seem some comments about an Octura x440 and x442 for this version of the Blackjack. Any other feedback? If speed would only go up 2-3mph I probably won't make a change but if it's 5-10mph then would consider spending the $$. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by luv2fly27 View Post
    Hi. I have the new Blackjack 29 v3. I was running 4s but moved up to 6s and enjoying the faster speed. Any recommendations for a prop that will improve top speed on 6s? I have seem some comments about an Octura x440 and x442 for this version of the Blackjack. Any other feedback? If speed would only go up 2-3mph I probably won't make a change but if it's 5-10mph then would consider spending the $$. Thanks!!
    I have a big selection of props to try when I get time. Mine ran 48.8mph out the box on 6s. I will let you know what I come up with. Todd

Guys... just to be clear... the V3 BlackJack 29 is a completely new hull.

"What would you change on the BJ29 hull if you had a chance to update it" was asked. I got out my drawing equipment and drew up the changes (hull-geometry stuff), and Pro Boat responded. Pro Boat added the interior re-design and some updated hardware.

Without getting into gory details.... New ride pad geometry, blended here, angled there, etc. If setup correctly, the "Wa-Wa" shouldn't be there.

The hull is quite a bit "beefier". It's being manufactured from a new supplier and I think you'll find it quite a bit stronger. That comes at a weight penalty, but that is what it is. You can't always have both. Even with the additional weight, the hull comes out of the box 1-2mph faster than previous versions.

Ride pads should be arriving much flatter and a bit sharper. It's still a "mass-produced" product, so it's not going to be perfect and there is always room for "blue-printing". That's the case with EVERY boat out there, Production or not.

Also, Rafael Lopez, who introduced himself above in this thread, is the new Pro Boat development manager at Horizon and is quite a forward thinking guy. He's a little new to boats, but from what I saw at my last visit to LA, he has things well-in-hand. I think you'll see some fun stuff in coming years. Give the guy a break. You guys seem awefully quick to "pounce" on a guy who is only here to try to help. Maybe sit back and count to 10 before you hit "post reply" and think about how the conversation would go if you were sitting there face-to-face.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Buddyroe View Post
    I have a big selection of props to try when I get time. Mine ran 48.8mph out the box on 6s. I will let you know what I come up with. Todd

Thanks Todd! Interested to hear what you find. If anyone else has some prop suggestions that should push 50+ Id love to hear about it! Thanks again

Darin,
    ...The hull is quite a bit "beefier". It's being manufactured from a new supplier...
    Does that also apply to the new Mean Green SW26?? Trav has one, going over 50mph to boot, seem to remember reading one or more of his posts where he mentioned them having a better hull than the v3's.

Regarding the BJ29v3... That comes at a weight penalty... ok, by the time you B/P a MG29 hull, you've added weight (bondo \ marine putty)... yes??

Could've swore I've seen posts where your reminding folks about the new Dynamite 3660-2000Kv motors being a lot stronger than the Dynamite 1800's they replaced. If yes, than I would think that would more than make up for the slight weight increase. Just an observation....

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Guys... just to be clear... the V3 BlackJack 29 is a completely new hull.

"What would you change on the BJ29 hull if you had a chance to update it" was asked. I got out my drawing equipment and drew up the changes (hull-geometry stuff), and Pro Boat responded. Pro Boat added the interior re-design and some updated hardware.

Without getting into gory details.... New ride pad geometry, blended here, angled there, etc. If setup correctly, the "Wa-Wa" shouldn't be there.

The hull is quite a bit "beefier". It's being manufactured from a new supplier and I think you'll find it quite a bit stronger. That comes at a weight penalty, but that is what it is. You can't always have both. Even with the additional weight, the hull comes out of the box 1-2mph faster than previous versions.

Ride pads should be arriving much flatter and a bit sharper. It's still a "mass-produced" product, so it's not going to be perfect and there is always room for "blue-printing". That's the case with EVERY boat out there, Production or not.

Also, Rafael Lopez, who introduced himself above in this thread, is the new Pro Boat development manager at Horizon and is quite a forward thinking guy. He's a little new to boats, but from what I saw at my last visit to LA, he has things well-in-hand. I think you'll see some fun stuff in coming years. Give the guy a break. You guys seem awefully quick to "pounce" on a guy who is only here to try to help. Maybe sit back and count to 10 before you hit "post reply" and think about how the conversation would go if you were sitting there face-to-face.

ok guys, I agree with Darin Jordan, this new hull that now I had it for a while now, i don't experience wa-wa-wa on flat or choppy waters, on 4s or 6s, believe it or not it still has the stock hardware setup, I did not move it a lil bit. I just position my batteries all the way to the front and presto.
    Regarding Mr Rafael Lopez, welcome to the forum, my only suggestion to you is to work on customer service response. till this date I'm waiting a respond on how to eliminate reverse on the esc, never mind I have the boat since December that is just unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. Thanks to forums like this is how i got my answers and NOT by the manufacture.

Hey Pedro...
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you say in an earlier post that you had figured out how program the ESC with the HobbyWing program box??

If yes, change item#1 from 2 to 1 --- see attached --- 2 is forward & reverse, 1 is forward only.

If you need further assistance, please ask...

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Ramos View Post
    ok guys, I agree with Darin Jordan, this new hull that now I had it for a while now, i don't experience wa-wa-wa on flat or choppy waters, on 4s or 6s, believe it or not it still has the stock hardware setup, I did not move it a lil bit. I just position my batteries all the way to the front and presto.
    Regarding Mr Rafael Lopez, welcome to the forum, my only suggestion to you is to work on customer service response. till this date I'm waiting a respond on how to eliminate reverse on the esc, never mind I have the boat since December that is just unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. Thanks to forums like this is how i got my answers and NOT by the manufacture.

thanks to you guys is all done!!!

Hey Pedro...
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you say in an earlier post that you had figured out how program the ESC with the HobbyWing program box??

If yes, change item#1 from 2 to 1 --- see attached --- 2 is forward & reverse, 1 is forward only.

If you need further assistance, please ask...

Guess that means it worked...

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Ramos View Post
    thanks to you guys is all done!!!

You guys can say this new hull doesn't do the wa wa wa but I assure you it does. that is what made me search this topic and find this forum to begin with. I have not tried with the packs all the way foward and will try that tomorrow
    Everywhere I read it says that makes the bounce worse. Can anyone answer the CG question?

You guys can say this new hull doesn't do the wa wa wa but I assure you it does. that is what made me search this topic and find this forum to begin with. I have not tried with the packs all the way foward and will try that tomorrow
    Everywhere I read it says that makes the bounce worse. Can anyone answer the CG question?
    Mine don't. Pacs all the way back. It did a lil when they where forward.

without telling this guy the position off the strut , and even better posting pictures , it is completely useless to tell him where to put the packs

Quote Originally Posted by iop65 View Post
    without telling this guy the position off the strut , and even better posting pictures , it is completely useless to tell him where to put the packs
    Strut bottom .125" above

angle?

Maybe I missed it but is the canopy of a thicker construction than the last version? The old one would disintegrate if you stuffed it just right.
    Noisy person

Yes, its a better canopy, fiberglass to boot. I use a Tiqueman FG hatch on my geico for a few years now.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast