Thread: Formulating some ideas, need input

Default Formulating some ideas, need input

I am a slow guy, whether it is my boat or my build speed. So i have this hull ( H&M Intruder, 30") for two years and I always wanted to make a twin out of it despite the fact that it is on the small side and might be better served with a single motor. You can hardly use 5000 mah 4s on the sponson sides and for a twin I will place the batteries on the tunnel floor where there is ample space.
    Anyway, without cutting some of the sides, one can hardly stuff in a 36xx motor, let alone with the water jacket on it. I am toying with a 3216 Fightercat Out runner or even 28xx in runner.
    I have had this unusual drive ( on the starboard side) for a while, it has bearings and i believe they are Etti drives mod'ed by someone here. It is for 4mm shaft and the cable I got with them as a set is .130.
    Then there is the more common drives with.187 teflon bushing.
    Note the tremendous difference in their length. Which length is better?
    Would 28xx in runner too small?
    How would the out runners do? I bought them to replace Venom's KOS P1 outrunner, but never used them, they are Fightercat's FC3216, 2200kv,Dimension roughly is 38mm ( dia.) x 49mm (l).
    DSCN7153.jpgDSCN7149.jpg DSCN7150.jpg DSCN7151.jpg
    DSCN7152.jpg

Note that with the shorter drive, the shaft would be further from the tunnel due to its base plate layout, the TFL drive can be positioned closer to the floor and the inside tunnel.
    Thanks in advance.
    P.S.
    I did do a search and some guy used the longer TFL drive and the boat rocks.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Some more pics to give a perspective:DSCN7154.jpg DSCN7156.jpg DSCN7157.jpg DSCN7159.jpgDSCN7160.jpg

The water jacket is for Leopard 36xx motors.
    I do realize that perhaps the whole idea is ridiculous, as there are hulls that can accommodate twin motors without having to resort to acrobatic skills.

Cool

Hiya Tim ,

here's a twin mean machine that was built to fall back on The Rum Runner forum with a pair of leopards in it with stingers that I've always liked. if I remember right the leopards are twin 4092's. the Stingers I think were 3" long,
    .bringing the overall length of the boat to 32". I might be mistaken on it but I think the flexes were 4mm square drives.

I know I bookmark the link for a look around and see if I can't find it for you :tiohat:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tim,

The 3126 outrunners are terrific motors. I used them in my Rivercat twin build.

My perference would be for the shorter stinger.

Quote Originally Posted by gsbuickman View Post
    Thanks for the pics and the link, anytime when there is an AM hull twin, the drives always stick out that way,lol....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by RayR View Post
    Tim,

The 3126 outrunners are terrific motors. I used them in my Rivercat twin build.

My perference would be for the shorter stinger.
    Thanks Ray, that's very good to know.
    Happy TG.

Oops, I didn't read your advice about the shorter stinger!

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    I am a slow guy, whether it is my boat or my build speed. So i have this hull ( H&M Intruder, 30") for two years and I always wanted to make a twin out of it despite the fact that it is on the small side and might be better served with a single motor. You can hardly use 5000 mah 4s on the sponson sides and for a twin I will place the batteries on the tunnel floor where there is ample space.
    Anyway, without cutting some of the sides, one can hardly stuff in a 36xx motor, let alone with the water jacket on it. I am toying with a 3216 Fightercat Out runner or even 28xx in runner.
    I have had this unusual drive ( on the starboard side) for a while, it has bearings and i believe they are Etti drives mod'ed by someone here. It is for 4mm shaft and the cable I got with them as a set is .130.
    Then there is the more common drives with.187 teflon bushing.
    Note the tremendous difference in their length. Which length is better?
    Would 28xx in runner too small?
    How would the out runners do? I bought them to replace Venom's KOS P1 outrunner, but never used them, they are Fightercat's FC3216, 2200kv,Dimension roughly is 38mm ( dia.) x 49mm (l).
    DSCN7153.jpgDSCN7149.jpg DSCN7150.jpg DSCN7151.jpg
    DSCN7152.jpg

Note that with the shorter drive, the shaft would be further from the tunnel due to its base plate layout, the TFL drive can be positioned closer to the floor and the inside tunnel.
    Thanks in advance.
    P.S.
    I did do a search and some guy used the longer TFL drive and the boat rocks.
    I AM A SLOW GUY. LMAO. wife tells me that all the time. sorry thought that was funny.

good luck with the build.

Quote Originally Posted by royalcasa View Post
    I AM A SLOW GUY. LMAO. wife tells me that all the time. sorry thought that was funny.

good luck with the build.
    Lol....
    Thanks!
    Happy TG

id go with what ray said he has by=uilt more nice boats then most of us
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

I used the FCR stingers on a 32" King of Shaves I rebuilt. I cut them down as you can see. I think they are too long for this hull stock. Ran it with a pair of 3126 outrunners.

"There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    id go with what ray said he has by=uilt more nice boats then most of us
    Thanks, Ron

Yes, Ray certainly is an excellent builder, very glad that he cared to give advice.!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocstar View Post
    I used the FCR stingers on a 32" King of Shaves I rebuilt. I cut them down as you can see. I think they are too long for this hull stock. Ran it with a pair of 3126 outrunners.
    Thank you , sir!
    I def. am thinking of this as well, however, I lack the tools to do a good hacking job and i don't know what to do with the teflon bushings. I have to ask around who can do it for me.
    Great pictures, I feel so sheepish to even ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Perhaps Doby knows me the best: I will just put the hull back to my garage and sleep on it for another two years!

Twin out runners have such a cool sound !
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Perhaps Doby knows me the best: I will just put the hull back to my garage and sleep on it for another two years!
    No Tim, too late you done got all of us interested now...that does look tight in there, just a thought. Could you not mount 2 motors in the center and bend your stuffing tube around enough to match up ?...I was thinking about doing this with my twin fantasm build I got planned, so it would be easier to get motors out etc... I had been wondering if this could even be done or not... DJ
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

Thank you , sir!
    I def. am thinking of this as well, however, I lack the tools to do a good hacking job and i don't know what to do with the teflon bushings. I have to ask around who can do it for me.
    Great pictures, I feel so sheepish to even ask questions.
    A hack saw, then finish up with a bench top belt sander will work fine. If you don't have the sander, clean up the cut with a file then 200, 400, 600 wet/dry sandpaper.

You should be able to convert the stingers to use a floating brass bushing. Use a piece of brass tubing to reduce the diameter of the stinger to fit the brass bushing and loctite it in place.

You would be surprised what you can make nice with very basic tools and patience.

I used little ProBoat 1800kv motors in my Geico twin with short drives and .150 cables. It has been a real good runner and only needs SK 120's.
    Shawn

PS: here is the build https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...n-G&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Twin out runners have such a cool sound !
    Yeah, at the moment it only is reverberating in my empty skull.

Quote Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
    No Tim, too late you done got all of us interested now...that does look tight in there, just a thought. Could you not mount 2 motors in the center and bend your stuffing tube around enough to match up ?...I was thinking about doing this with my twin fantasm build I got planned, so it would be easier to get motors out etc... I had been wondering if this could even be done or not... DJ
    Hmmm... You mean to put the motor on the tunnel floor or the center of the sponson floor?

( I can hear Doby snickering in the distance....)

Quote Originally Posted by rickwess View Post
    A hack saw, then finish up with a bench top belt sander will work fine. If you don't have the sander, clean up the cut with a file then 200, 400, 600 wet/dry sandpaper.

You should be able to convert the stingers to use a floating brass bushing. Use a piece of brass tubing to reduce the diameter of the stinger to fit the brass bushing and loctite it in place.
    I can cut it short easy, it is the internals of this confounded stinger that baffles me: you see, it has been fitted with 3/16 bushing, but if I look into the barrel, it looks to have a few steps, so if I cut out and have to fit a brass tube, it is loose (tried 1/4 tube from the transom end and it is not an Imperial measurement). Now suppose i use teflon bushing, this is where it worries me: I had zero luck pushing these pigeon leg rings in those barrels in the past. May be I will ask Jan @Kintec to make them for me, he is a machinist, isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    You would be surprised what you can make nice with very basic tools and patience.

I used little ProBoat 1800kv motors in my Geico twin with short drives and .150 cables. It has been a real good runner and only needs SK 120's.
    Shawn

PS: here is the build https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...n-G&highlight=
    Fantastic build thread, have to go over it word by word later, but thanks for chiming in and taking an interest!

Yeah, at the moment it only is reverberating in my empty skull.

Hmmm... You mean to put the motor on the tunnel floor or the center of the sponson floor?

( I can hear Doby snickering in the distance....)
    LOL

Mount the motors in the center on the tunnel floor, no room in the sponsons...I've never tried bending a stuffing tube into what would be a long S, but I do know that some do S bends in all their hulls....sure would open up the motor options.... DJ