Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Weigh in on motor comparision for 1:10 scale!

I really don't think speeds are bad terry..they are close to lsh..just don't look that fast because of the size..and I think mainly west coast because of the builders are on this coast..not to mention..u r looking at 600 to 1000 for a hull..

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    I like that idea terry..I think classic thunder in their modern class which is division 3 is any motor..only their vintage and older hydrostatic run spec motors..I know name a rules and ercu run spec..but I don't think 50 mph or little faster is slow..If you talk to most of the guys it's more for scale realism..but I also like to go faster..I have had my modern at 60 with a 40x74 motor..but if u flip at that speed..pretty much assured a loss of hull..it is a fun class..I should have my scorpion motor here on monday..and I fully plan on throwing some prop at it..
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Racing is racing, whether the boats are capable of 40 or 50 or 60. Plus, speed just makes more damage, and scale is hard enough to do without the additional damage.

I find these statements interesting... If there is THAT much deconstruction because of simply flipping; I would be building a little tougher hull.

Later,
    Ball

......if there is THAT much deconstruction because of simply flipping; I would be building a little tougher hull....
    With the current restriction of limited motor power, performance would suffer even more. And the alternative of light with strength costs even more......

Worrying about attracting people to a work-intensive, costly, liocal lmited interest class should be secondary. We do not need to grow every class....we have too many as it is. The guys who actually run the class consistently should make the motor/speed decision, not a bunch of bystanders.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    The guys who actually run the class consistently should make the motor/speed decision, not a bunch of bystanders.
    ....and those that aren't but would like to BE "the guys that actually consistently run the class" should what? Keep their opinion to themselves? Got it. Mitch asked for us to weigh in. Did that. He didn't say "If your not in the northwest please keep your opinion to yourself".

I think Mikes point was that all this scale damage can't possibly be the result of blow overs. They're more likely impacts with something. Other boats, land, something. You can't get lighter than my Whip and it doesn't disintegrate if it blows off the water. If a blow over equates to total destruction of your ride your building it wrong.

If we're going to let 10th be just a northwest thing then go back to 700 motors. Racing is racing. Parity is king. But...........speed kills. Okay then run em on N1 power. Nice and slow and safe with no repairs ever.
    Noisy person

I have one of Brian's 8255, I told him I wanted it 2 lbs. and the boat weighs exactly 2 lbs. I believe in putting weight where it's needed. I have 6 oz. of lead in the right sponson. I also run two 2S 6000 because I want the extra weight. The old ProBoat motor ran ok, the HiMax runs way better than the old ProBoat. The new ProBoat is a little better than the HiMax. The Scorpion runs really good, but until I get it on a full course to see how it pulls the corners, I won't know if it's better than the new ProBoat. I also have an Airdam, run a stock 447 de-tongued, and I'm going to order a TP motor (1500) to see how this motor compares with the others. I actually think that the speed these boats are running is perfect. Half the time I can't run wide-open anyway. You have to remember these boats are 34+inches, and they're not cheap to build. I'd never put this boat in a 6-boat heat (I wouldn't take the chance).

the only weak part in the blow overs is the rear wing uprights..i have added fiberglass to the mounts and made the rear horizontal wing easier to break away..seems to be working well..erry you should get one..they are fun..and I have no problem with 6 boats in a heat..if you come out to winer warmups terry..i will let you take mine for a couple laps..btw my scorpion will be here Monday..will get in in and test this week

Well mitch..u guys have a motor that is stout..tested yesterday with new skorpion..Holy crap..not changing anything setup wise I was a little over 1mph faster..tried a prop with more pitch as motor temps were below 100 degrees..After a little strut adjustment let's just say if namba approves this motor..it's will be my choice..gps speed was 54mph..insane!!! I also feel it out accelerates my probation and himax..boat wants to jump out of water..really impressed..

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    .After a little strut adjustment let's just say if namba approves this motor..it's will be my choice..gps speed was 54mph..insane!!! I also feel it out accelerates my probation and himax..boat wants to jump out of water..really impressed..
    And so begins the demise of the P-LTD classes...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Lol darrin..no demise..they allow this in their division 2 boats..I stick to rules for club racing here in scottsdale..but I do like to travrl..so nice to know what motors work and how they perform..that motor is stout though..going to be trying a few more things with props on the new proboat motor..As I feel it is a better motor than the himax..I like the p limited classes..they are my favorite

This confirms my suspicion. The outrunner will push more prop/more pitch without getting too whiny.

That Scorpion motor is available from other sources too. I believe Hyperian sells one and I think there is a Turnigy version too.
    Noisy person

Cool

That Scorpion motor is available from other sources too. I believe Hyperian sells one and I think there is a Turnigy version too.
    Great, so instead of one new motor we will have three? It is a given that NAMBA will have to update the Limited motor list, but whatever happened to KISS?

Something wrong with having a choice??

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Great, so instead of one new motor we will have three? It is a given that NAMBA will have to update the Limited motor list, but whatever happened to KISS? .
    I have no idea. Didn't we just try to do this dance with P limited?

You may be right Jay. Pick ONE good one and run with it till ya can't get em. They ran for years on Astro40's I think.
    Noisy person

For the record......we're talking about scale motors and not P limited motors.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    For the record......we're talking about scale motors and not P limited motors.
    Based on what we were told at our PSFEMBC meeting, I don't think that's the case. The P-LTD Motor list is on the radar...

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Something wrong with having a choice??
    Is it really a "choice", if it's "clearly 1mph faster", and you can prop it up 1 or 2 prop sizes?

Oh, there I go again, thinking like a RACER...

There can be plenty wrong with having choices. I know that younger folks are currently raised on the idea that choices are somehow automatically good - but that is largely a marketing concept. How many smart phone choices do we really need? That isn't about need, it's about selling. More choices lead to building marketing advantages.

But I digress. Perhaps I am just out of touch but based on the history of motor-specified racing, too many choices simply leads to the dominance of one or two motors and the added expense of boaters finding out which ones are the ringers. We can look at the original LSH class and the 700 motors - not pretty. How many today race successfully in P-LSH with any motor other than the UL-1? How many newbies bought one of the several listed specified motors only to be outclassed on the race course by the ringers? Terry is right, single-motor classes have been run with success. No one lost any sleep over it, they just bought the specified motor and raced. As long as the specified motors are widely available, there is no problem with a limited number of choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Is it really a "choice", if it's "clearly 1mph faster", and you can prop it up 1 or 2 prop sizes?

Oh, there I go again, thinking like a RACER...
    Stop that!

Alright...I give...one motor for all and all for one motor. Nothing like a motor manufacturer having us all by our short and you know whats

Time to go run with the cheese heads.

I'd love to build a 1/10th but from what I saw at the Nats this year, driving in the opposite direction around the course seems to be a major challange!

Lol doby..of course there are some that don't drive well..As for right there are basically 3 motors on the namba list..The himax 1500..The aquacraft sv27..and the proboat 1500..With the proboat going out of production..that still leaves 2 options..Our club follows namba rules..so that's what I run..but being that I fly for free and really enjoy this class..I like to travel to races..so if there is a motor that is better..well then I want to run it because I like to be competitive..I will venture to say that there will be a big showing at nuts this year in the modern and vintage class..If any of you guys have the chance to make it to winter warmup this year..There should be a good showing also..I for one love the realistic looks of these boats..and now with more people running them..it's even better..but back on topic..The scorpion is Def a faster motor..but I also have no problem with the namba rules..

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Nothing like a motor manufacturer having us all by our short and you know whats
    Isn't that what just happened with limited? To a degree? A hiccup in the food chain.

I don't have the answer but the 2030 supply was coming from an RTR boat manufacturer and not from a motor manufacturer. AQ was directly effected by the decision making process of "others". Same thing happened with PB. They're supplier dumped their line based on numbers. If we're buying from some motor supplier (pick one, Scorpion, TP, Leopard, whatever) it's direct. They exist to sell motors. Might be different.

The cheese heads just made a set of RTR classes and a set of "one motor" classes. You can run the box art motors in both (oh look! choice!) but you will lose against the TP. This is what Jay was saying. You can run these Pinto motors or we have this option over here that's the same size but lasts longer, cost about the same, and delivers more power. ummmmm......choice? Happened to us with the SS1 motors. You had choices with the 700 motors............unless you wanted to win. Then there was one "choice".

I was hoping this was just about scale. The limited motors will be a tougher nut to crack. You can't buy a 1:10 scale off the shelf. Every boat is a custom one off so worrying about what motor is all encompassing and easy for a the new guy is maybe less necessary. IDK

That Scorpion motor is relatively inexpensive if I remember correctly. Even if you pinned it down to three identical outrunners from three manufacturers there is still the risk that one of them has slightly better this/that/the other like happened with 700 motors.

Just thoughts guys.
    Noisy person

Ray, I didn't think you could buy the old SV27 (blue) 1700kv motor anymore. So that leaves the Himax only doesn't it?
    Noisy person

Yes Terry they are still available. .aquacraft #7000..tower even has them on sale right now for 49.99

Isn't that what just happened with limited? To a degree? A hiccup in the food chain.

Exactly.....so if a hiccup (either real or imagined) occurs at least there is a choice of approved options. Yes, choice is good

Terry
    The cheese heads just made a set of RTR classes and a set of "one motor" classes. You can run the box art motors in both (oh look! choice!) but you will lose against the TP.
    Kind of curious on how you came to this conclusion. Our "on water" testing (albeit limited) indicated that this TP motor was very close in performance to the UL1. UL1 showed more straight line speed and the TP showed more torque in the turns. You will never get a perfect match, but you can get close. The only varience I have found to this point is that when the motors are pushed beyond their limits, one will slow and one will burn!
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

Ok..let's not get on the tp conversation. .This is about scale class..and a club trying the scorpion motor. .lol..been enough drama with the "other" class..so much so that I hear certain people aren't coming to winter warmups

There are some very nice outrunners in this size and KV range the go from $20- $120.00. AN outrunner would sound cool in a Turbine 1/10th scale boat.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Turnigy sells the Suppo design that is very close to a Scorpion in quality at 1/6th the price.

This confirms my suspicion. The outrunner will push more prop/more pitch without getting too whiny.

Nortavlag Bulc

Ray, are you sure your 10 scale was running 54 mph with the Scorpion motor? 80% of the LSHs that are out there probably don't run 54 mph. If so, you have basically nuked the Scorpion motor from being approved. This motor will never be approved if it's 6-7 mph faster than the other motors. I'll be doing more testing with my Scorpion. Most gps aren't accurate anyway.

Turnigy sells the Suppo design that is very close to a Scorpion in quality at 1/6th the price.
    and you know the quality is because you have comparison tested several samples of each? Hmmmmmm. So you don't get what you pay for? And Scorpion is screwing us by a factor of six? Sorry, I don't buy it, based on Turnigy's quality history.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast