Thread: Single VS Twin

Default Single VS Twin

ok so I am very new to the the boat thing I just rebuilt an mg29 and love it.. but I have a dilemma!! I have a rivercat hull on the way and I keep flip flopping on how I want to build it. first thought was to build a twin because I already have a single drive cat and I just picked up a couple motors in a trade that would work for now that way I can spend the real money on good esc's and drives.. but building a single is a much more simple and strait forward set up and I have seen them attain speeds that well match what a twin can do as well as less potential for failure one motor one esc.. at least thats the way I see it... so my question is what are the pro's and cons from both side's as it seems that there are those who lean more towards single and those that like twins so help me out I have only run a single and only seen a twin in video and am torn as to how to build this killer little hull......

Your right Double Trouble!

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Cool

I built a 90 mph single-drive Rivercat clone, speed is not the differentiator in a boat this size. To me the Rivercat is too small for an effective twin installation especially if you have not done one before. Room is scarce and installing the parts will be frustrating. While it can and has been done, a larger hull just makes more sense. But either way it will be a fun boat to run, just don't expect it to turn like a mono.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

You're right about speed potential, technically a single is more efficient in the same sense that a 2 blade prop is more efficient than a 3 blade.
    I disagree in terms of potential for failure though, I think you have that one backward. Yes, there are two motors and ESCs, but they are loaded/stressed less than a comparable single prop setup.

Twins/singles handle a lot differently. I have ran both and love twins. Others have had both and prefer singles. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    I built a 90 mph single-drive Rivercat clone, speed is not the differentiator in a boat this size. To me the Rivercat is too small for an effective twin installation especially if you have not done one before. Room is scarce and installing the parts will be frustrating. While it can and has been done, a larger hull just makes more sense. But either way it will be a fun boat to run, just don't expect it to turn like a mono.

this pretty much sums it up on this particular hull. I personally think this hull is too small too and the weight of a twin system makes it sit pretty low in the water. Ive seen a few twins in this hull, dont get me wrong...i just dont think its ideal.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by keithbradley View Post
    You're right about speed potential, technically a single is more efficient in the same sense that a 2 blade prop is more efficient than a 3 blade.
    I disagree in terms of potential for failure though, I think you have that one backward. Yes, there are two motors and ESCs, but they are loaded/stressed less than a comparable single prop setup.

Twins/singles handle a lot differently. I have ran both and love twins. Others have had both and prefer singles. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.
    I totally agree here. Also with Fluid, twins are best used for larger hulls to prevent the higher stress loads a single would. A single may use a 400+ amp ESC and a twin could use a pair of 160 amp ESC's in my example. That being said I built a 29 Geico twin and it rocks with cheap components. But it was a challenge for sure to build.

so as a novice builder I might want to save the twin idea for a 41+ build and just stick to single with a big ESC on this one. for some reason I was thinking a twin would be easier to build just because I dont have to figure out where to cut a hole in the bottom of the boat I am a little nervous about this part

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nason View Post
    so as a novice builder I might want to save the twin idea for a 41+ build and just stick to single with a big ESC on this one. for some reason I was thinking a twin would be easier to build just because I dont have to figure out where to cut a hole in the bottom of the boat I am a little nervous about this part
    if you'd like i can give you measurements on where to dill your stuffing tube hole, where you place your motor, where to place your batteries, where and how to cut your hole. its nothing to it, i promise.

to give you a quick idea how easy it is.....

lay masking tape down on the tunnel from the inside of the boat. mark it where i tell you to. find your center. dril two small holes where i told you to mark. (i use a taped bit for the next step because its more forgiving than a drill bit) make sure whre you drilled is correct. move up a couple drill sizes. drill again. do the same until you get to the same drill size as your drive tube. now connect the two holes by cutting out with a dremel cutoff wheel. then file it clean. wear a dust mask. thats the hole part. I'm getting ready to start another rivercat build and i can do a step by step for you in a build thread.
    Last edited by kfxguy; 11-20-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Building a twin is certainly more difficult than building a single, but I really don't think a river cat is any more difficult to twin than a Fantasm, or anything else. It should be fairly straight forward. I guess if you tried to put motors/escs that were too large in it perhaps it would be a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    if you'd like i can give you measurements on where to dill your stuffing tube hole, where you place your motor, where to place your batteries, where and how to cut your hole. its nothing to it, i promise.
    that would help out allot Travis... yes please send the info.

that would help out allot Travis... yes please send the info.
    I will this evening. Also, a seaking 180 is all the esc you'll ever need. Be advised the new version is taller than the old and you'll have to get creative with mounting it. You cannot use velcro because it will sit too high. I've been making a little hold down like this:

(This isn't my boat, a member I'm doing a bunch of repairs/improvements for)

Quote Originally Posted by keithbradley View Post
    Building a twin is certainly more difficult than building a single, but I really don't think a river cat is any more difficult to twin than a Fantasm, or anything else. It should be fairly straight forward. I guess if you tried to put motors/escs that were too large in it perhaps it would be a challenge.
    I think im going to go single and save the twin for one of your 45's but that's going to be over next summer.. this whole rivercat thing started by accident.. after I made the deal with you for that revolt... my son talked my out of it after finding the add for a cf river and Travis said he would sell one so the kid bought your revolt before I even got it and now im doing this??? had planned all along to go big but well you know how that goes... now its almost black friday and I have to hand over a bag of cash to the wife for that whole Christmas thing then gota pay the IRS once all that is done I can free up more funds to play

I think im going to go single and save the twin for one of your 45's but that's going to be over next summer.. this whole rivercat thing started by accident.. after I made the deal with you for that revolt... my son talked my out of it after finding the add for a cf river and Travis said he would sell one so the kid bought your revolt before I even got it and now im doing this??? had planned all along to go big but well you know how that goes... now its almost black friday and I have to hand over a bag of cash to the wife for that whole Christmas thing then gota pay the IRS once all that is done I can free up more funds to play
    If you build the rivercat right, you will love it. Then you can move up after learning from it.

IRS??? You know they are just gonna spend it frivolously and odds are you won't receive any fun from it at all. Haha

If you build the rivercat right, you will love it. Then you can move up after learning from it.
    with all the great help I am getting here should be a breeze as long as I just take my time

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    IRS??? You know they are just gonna spend it frivolously and odds are you won't receive any fun from it at all. Haha
    well I am sure they will have fun with it.... and as we all know the only sure things in life are death and taxes!!!!

I will this evening. Also, a seaking 180 is all the esc you'll ever need. Be advised the new version is taller than the old and you'll have to get creative with mounting it. You cannot use velcro because it will sit too high. I've been making a little hold down like this:

(This isn't my boat, a member I'm doing a bunch of repairs/improvements for)
    Wow! Good looking boat there, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by paDDY View Post
    Wow! Good looking boat there, haha.
    does it look familiar? LMAO!