Thread: finding the center of the transom

Default finding the center of the transom

I picked this up from mounting full size outboards ! pretty handy !!! Mine is very crud and quick job but I imagine you can do alot better version
    Attached Images Attached Images

"There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

We can make a prettier version but it ain't going to be any more accurate. Cool Trick. Thanks for sharing.

Excellent!! Reminding me of my grade 9 machine shop technique to find the center of the end of round stock. Kudos for applying it to something I can use now!!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Nice trick!
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I like!

Very cool trick, I'm gonna have to remember that one!

I wished I would of saw this earlier this week!
    Michigan Fast Electric SAW Club
    Revolt - 76.9mph...Building a DF35- Project Mono

Too many boats, not enough time...

Hey Shawn, post up some pics of the dowel balancer you built , simple & kool

How do you set the distance from the center of the dowel to the center of the pencil?
    Thanks,
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by mml4 View Post
    How do you set the distance from the center of the dowel to the center of the pencil?
    Thanks,
    Marc
    Correct me if I am wrong: it doesn't matter, the distance between the dowel and the pencil is determined by the width of the transom, in this case the dowel is anchored at the strake and the distance is adjusted accordingly ( a practical distance so the two arcs can intersect on the tiny territory of the transom ) , what's important is the symmetrical character of the hull, if the strakes are not symmetrical ( highly unlikely) , then the intersecting point would not be in the middle. Unless i am missing something...

Great idea! Could probably achieve a similar result just by locking a set of calipers at the given dimension and lightly scratching the gelcoat.

You can also use a drafting compass like we used in school to make circles..works just like the ops simple idea.
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong: it doesn't matter, the distance between the dowel and the pencil is determined by the width of the transom, in this case the dowel is anchored at the strake and the distance is adjusted accordingly ( a practical distance so the two arcs can intersect on the tiny territory of the transom ) , what's important is the symmetrical character of the hull, if the strakes are not symmetrical ( highly unlikely) , then the intersecting point would not be in the middle. Unless i am missing something...
    The distance does matter as you can see I had to drill another hole for this transom center. sounds like you got the Idea !

Quote Originally Posted by mml4 View Post
    Thanks,
    Marc
    You can eyeball it to put you just over center with the pencil

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    The distance does matter as you can see I had to drill another hole for this transom center. sounds like you got the Idea !
    Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    You can eyeball it to put you just over center with the pencil
    Poor choice of words on my part, eyeballing is exactly what I had in mind. Thanks!