Thread: Scotch Weld Black for Carbon?

Default Scotch Weld Black for Carbon?

Anyone using this to mount carbon fiber motor mounts? What is everyone using for the twin cf mounts in these cats?
    YOUTUBE-HyProBuildv1
    HyProBuildV1/Facebook

That is interesting. I have been just using a good 24hr epoxy by System Three. On the current build I added cloth support on the corners of mounts but this is the first I have done this on. The others have held up fine with no broken mounts even after the flips at 70 or so MPH

This stuff should work fine. Except for the 20 minute work time.

I have used JB on a few mounts on hydro's, an never had an issue...But It can be difficult to use sometimes...in the "Neat" department.
    YOUTUBE-HyProBuildv1
    HyProBuildV1/Facebook

JB weld has worked very well for me in my CF mounts. Even on my SAW boats that have had numerous blow overs at 90. Scuff the CG good with some 120 grit and wipe clean with alcohol. For clean lines, throw down some masking tape before applying. Apply the JB and your mount, run your finger down the bead if necessary to make a nice fillet and then remove the masking tape. The JB will sag a bit but you will have a nice clean install.

But to tell you the truth, I've never seen any epoxy fail that wasn't attributed to lousey surface prep.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
    JB weld has worked very well for me in my CF mounts. Even on my SAW boats that have had numerous blow overs at 90. Scuff the CG good with some 120 grit and wipe clean with alcohol. For clean lines, throw down some masking tape before applying. Apply the JB and your mount, run your finger down the bead if necessary to make a nice fillet and then remove the masking tape. The JB will sag a bit but you will have a nice clean install.

But to tell you the truth, I've never seen any epoxy fail that wasn't attributed to lousey surface prep.
    I'll agree with that. I have used JB weld on every boat I have had, but I was just curious as to what others are using, JB mixes well to a grey color, Most of the twin cats I have seen, after cure, its a nice gloss black..Just trying to figure out what they were using. No biggy Though.
    YOUTUBE-HyProBuildv1
    HyProBuildV1/Facebook

I have been hearing of this "G/Flex" epoxy on a few build threads lately, it was on my list to research, not sure which version people are using but I'll take a look again.....http://www.westsystem.com/ss/g-flex-epoxy

I just mixed up some JB with a pinch of black mortar pigment, certainly made it black!
    The pigment is plain old carbon, anybody think it will effect the epoxy?
    I'll post back later to let you know if/ how it cured and if a can feel any difference in bond using the highly calibrated hand pull test!
    Bonding a couple pieces of fiberglass plate.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Quote Originally Posted by siberianhusky View Post
    I just mixed up some JB with a pinch of black mortar pigment, certainly made it black!
    The pigment is plain old carbon, anybody think it will effect the epoxy?
    I'll post back later to let you know if/ how it cured and if a can feel any difference in bond using the highly calibrated hand pull test!
    Bonding a couple pieces of fiberglass plate.
    I have seen in one of Rocstar's builds he used graphite to blacken epoxy, it looked great.

West System G/Flex works great. I use it when I only need a small about like a single motor or servo mount.....easy 50/50 mix.
    "There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

Quote Originally Posted by Rocstar View Post
    West System G/Flex works great. I use it when I only need a small about like a single motor or servo mount.....easy 50/50 mix.
    Which blend of G/Flex are you using? And what do you use otherwise if not the G/Flex Joel?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpratt823 View Post
    Which blend of G/Flex are you using? And what do you use otherwise if not the G/Flex Joel?
    G/Flex 650. I also use West System 105 with 207. I like to control the viscosity with 406 colloidal silica.
    "There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

I use 30min. Zpoxy mixed with ground CF for strength and to make it black. Tape the edge and you get a nice finished line when set. Or if you're using with regular Epoxy fiberglass mix it with milled fiberglass to make it white. DSC02678.jpg

Lot's of info here, Thanks for the input Guys. Now to decide what to try first...Its not cheap!
    YOUTUBE-HyProBuildv1
    HyProBuildV1/Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli View Post

I use JB weld never had a problem and you can heat it to remove it. Mike no cooling can ?

Epoxy pigment works great with G/Flex. You substitute it by weight for the resin. For black I've found that just a VERY VERY small amount is all you need.

http://compositescanada.com/product-...ts?search=tint

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    I use 30min. Zpoxy mixed with ground CF for strength and to make it black. Tape the edge and you get a nice finished line when set. Or if you're using with regular Epoxy fiberglass mix it with milled fiberglass to make it white. DSC02678.jpg
    Where do you get the milled/ground CF or FG? They are not offered as part of the West System. In fact I noted an unpleasant attitude change when I inquired about it at my local West Marine store.
    41" & 29" FE Aeromarine Sprint Cats, Quickdraw powered "Dollar Eater" 41" Insane Cat, 29" BL mod Graupner Cat, 24" Hydro, 29" OB Cat, BL mod NQD Tear Into Jet boat, 55" Scarab, JET SWEEP R/C pool skimmer Rescue Boat.

Quote Originally Posted by 78MaicoRider View Post
    Where do you get the milled/ground CF or FG? They are not offered as part of the West System. In fact I noted an unpleasant attitude change when I inquired about it at my local West Marine store.
    The milled Fiberglass you can get at Kintec, look down toward the bottom of this page. http://kintecracing.com/Building_Supplies.html The milled Carbonfiber I make myself from ground up scraps. I just use my little 2" disc grinder and catch the grindings in a pan then put them in a jar for future use. "BE SURE TO USE A MASK" "CF AND FG DUST BAD FOR YOU"!!!! The bad attitude was probably from the fact that they don't want to promote people grinding up CF or FG thierselves cause I'm sure there are morons out there that would do it without a mask!!

I wouldn't use the mortar pigment for colour, after more than 24 hours cure time the JB weld itself failed, left a bit on each slab of fiberglass but it was the actual epoxy itself that failed.
    24 hour cure at about 68F in my basement shop.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    I use JB weld never had a problem and you can heat it to remove it. Mike no cooling can ?
    That's my SAW boat Chris. No more the three or four passes and I bring it in.