Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winston Eagle Canard.

Thanks pitts.
    But there's more than just a little bit of unknown to it. Like a lot of unknown.

DJ.
    All the best for the operation. Give the nurses heaps.

Spiraling up? Spiraling down?. Who really knows. It depends on which maps you use.
    These are the ones we use. Are they different to yours?

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=u...AUoAQ#imgdii=_

Thanks for that Ray.
    It will certainly run in some sort of fashion. Fast or slow doesn't really matter. As long as it looks good.

Nice work as usual! If you just have to butcher a boat kit this is the way to do it.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Thanks Doug.
    I'm always up for something a bit different, & this was the easiest way to go about it.

Patiently awaiting the results and video! You are one heck of a builder Paul!
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Thanks Mike.
    It's been a labour of love. As usual the various parts of the kit went together easily. Rearranging them to this different format was a bit tricky, but the arrow shafts locked everything into place all true & square. I just had to make sure that they didn't get in the way of batteries & motor etc.
    Test day will be both interesting & exciting.

I made the cowl last night & fitted the front deck.
    Totally lacking in imagination, I basically copied the layout of the one on the X-Wing in my avatar. And that was a copy from a photo in an advertisement for the Sabre.
    A bit of 1mm ply for the base & some 5mm balsa & it was all done. The fake air intakes were cut out of balsa & shaped.
    A bit of filler here & there & she'll be ready to seal with some epoxy resin.
    I guess it should have some sort of turbine exhaust added to it as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't care if you copied the one in your avatar, it still looks incredible!! I can't believe how fast it's coming together..

Well, I'm between jobs again at the moment, so I get to spend a bit of extra time on it during the day, not just at night.
    But now the tedious bit with all the filling, sanding & sealing. I need to go & get some more Cider for that. It's getting hot here now.

Nice job man, I'll be watching this one!

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    I don't care if you copied the one in your avatar, it still looks incredible!! I can't believe how fast it's coming together..
    Paul's builds always amaze me. Not sure how he does it so fast with the level of quality he does. Maybe I need him to send me some of that "Cider" ...Paul tks, I'm back home all seems well. I did flirt with a few nurses in your honor, I have to be careful there though since I work at the VA hospital... ... looks great bud.. DJ
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

Thanks guys.
    But it's the kits that make is fast & easy to build. And I go by that age old building philosophy. "Measure twice. Cut once. FILL GAPS, "
    D.J.
    Good to see that the surgery went well. And that you got fresh with a couple of nurses. One of my sisters is a Nurse, & I've been out with a couple in my time. They are a special breed of people & appreciate a bit of fun to brighten up their day. And let's face it, with the things they have to put up with, they need all the brightness they can get.

Made up the flaps for the ram wings yesterday.
    A short stuffing tube was made with a piece of 3/32" brass rod inside it. The rod had a 90 degree bend on it to glue into the flap. On the other end I added some short lengths of telescoping tubes. The outside one was longer to fit over the stuffing tube & create a bit of a seal. The whole tube was filled with grease before assembly & a little dab of ca glue was used to lock the short tubes to the shaft. A rudder tiller arm was attached to the end, & the whole assembly epoxied into the side of the hull lining it up with the hinges.
    The flaps were made with a couple of pieces of 1/16" ply sandwiching the hinges & the brass rod. Plenty of epoxy there.
    I ended up locking the tiller arms down against the bulkhead with a bit of 1/4"sq glued across the tub. The set screws in the tiller arms are used to adjust & lock the flaps at what ever angle is required. That seemed easier than the brackets & rods that I was going to use for adjustment.

I hope the pictures explain it a bit better than I just did

I also added a turbine Exhaust to the cowling last night.
    Chopped & filed & sanded a hole through the top of the cowl & added a bit of old pvc tube.
    But then I thought it would look better cut off flush like the ones in the cowl of my U-95. So I did.

Paul, were you a mad scientist in a former life ? ...only words I can find to describe this is "Bada$$" .... cant tell from pics, but did you or how are you going to fill the space created by the wing hinge points ?
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

DJ.
    Mad Scientist? Not in a former life. But maybe later in this life.

I was talking to John at our club today. He builds & flies Jets as well as boats. He has a special hinge tape that sticks to the trailing edge of the wing & covers the gap but doesn't stick to the flap. A piece of that along the wings, both top & bottom, should do the trick

Paul, yup good stuff. I have designed and built prototype rc planes including some hot edf jets for years. That hinge tape will do the trick for sure. Its what we used to increase the performance of our race planes, it was amazing the speed and handling increase just by sealing up that gap. Later in this life, to late my friend Are you going to have the wings controlled by a servo or manually adjusted ? I really like the looks of this hull now...looks like something batman would be running... DJ

Just manual adjustment for now. I'll start at neutral while I work on strut depth & angle & cog first, & then see if adjusting the flaps makes any difference.

I started playing with the hardware yesterday. Made the motor mount from some aluminium angle by straightening out the angle a bit & drilling a few holes in it. Including a couple in the face for a water line & a servo lead.
    The mount was epoxied into the hull & a couple of ply blocks added to each side of the tub to brace it a bit at the top. I'll add some glass over the base & up the walls the next time I mix up some resin.
    Here's a few pics.

Then the rudder mount & servo were fitted. Because there is a big chance that the rear compartment will be full of battery, I had to make sure that the linkage was under the lip down the side of the hull. I used an old aircraft cable & tube I had lying around for that. Simply epoxied in a piece of 1/4" bass wood & epoxied the tube to that.
    It had to take a bit of a curve to miss the batteries as it passed through the transom to the rudder arm. But it all runs & slides as smooth as silk.
    Last edited by 785boats; 11-24-2014 at 02:00 AM.

I had to laugh when you used the phrase "lacking the imagination" when this build is full of and nothing but imagination on a grand scale. The shot of it from the back corner really shows off how bad ass it really looks. Can't wait to see what you make it do on Water. Awesome build.

Thanks Fella.
    I sketched & doodled a few different cowlings but none of them looked right. So I just went on a slight variation on what I built before. I just couldn't think of anything else.
    But it does look as if it's meant to be there, I think.

I like the apparent "Wheele Bars" built into the back of the hull.

What a great build, I love it and can't wait to see what it does on the water....
    HPR C-5009, Riptide48, PaynPak 1/12, Miss Budweiser 1/8 Hydro, Miss Freya (own design 1/8 Hydro), HOR 32, Twin 380 HOR 32, Magin one

Thanks Dave. It will be interesting.

I'm back at work full time again so I haven't had a chance to do much lately.
    Stuffing tube is installed & the hardware all drilled for, on the transom.
    I got a coat of primer on the bottom & the cowl yesterday. But that's all.
    Once I get a couple of coats of primer on it all over I'm going to fit it out & give it some test runs before I bother with a full paint job. No sense wasting time & paint if it needs some major structural changes.

I know it's been a while. But we've been busy at work & the weather wasn't good for painting.
    But I shot a couple of coats of primer on last week, & had a test float Saturday.
    The photos are with the batteries in the forward position.
    Then I fitted all the gear on Saturday night & we had a test run on Sunday. Only an M445 to start with, but she got up on the plane quickly & was flying stable & level.

Unfortunately after only three laps the flex shaft blew apart at the coupler and at the weld on the stub. i don't know which happened first & caused the other, but I suspect the one at the weld let go first. But it ruined the stuffing tube up near the collet too, so that was it for the day. It certainly wasn't over powered just a failure I feel. It was a second hand shaft from another boat.

I had no turn fin on it, so it turned like a three legged dog. But I was pleased with the way she went in a straight line.
    She's got a new tube & shaft fitted & this Sunday will be the next test day.

A merry Christmas to all.
    Paul.

A strangely sweet looking ride Paul. Well done sir.
    I'm really glad the stuffing tube didn't come through the bottom of the boat when the cable let go.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

That thing sits in the water nice and I really like the way the cowl came out. Kinda looks like you ran a X-Wing fighter into the back of a ML Boatworks Hydro. Can't wait to see running video! Very unique, you may have started a whole new style of boat.

Awesome build Paul; shame about the failure, but promising results by the sound of things. Cant wait to see a vid of it in action.
    Well done...

Doug.
    It did loosen up the tube but she hung in there. I didn't have any of the epoxy putty around it like I normally do. But I have on the new one.

Chris.
    I think it looks rather menacing sitting on the water. It reminds me of a Vikings' two headed battle axe.

Pitts.
    Promising indeed.

There will definitely be video on Sunday, guys.

You are going to need to change that avatar. Looks fantastic!

Thanks Ray.
    Good idea. I'll wait until there's some colour & decals on it though.
    I must say, that version of the Winston Eagle you have in your avatar is one sweet looking Hydro. What are the stats on that one?

Can't take the credit for that one Paul. Although I plan to make that my next build in 1/10th scale. The avatar boat was built in 2007 in 1/8th scale by a gentleman in Seattle. It is the 1989 'White" Winston that ran only twice in Houston and Tri-Cities before assuming it's well known Day-Glo Orange livery. I am partial to the "obscure" boats. My other favorite is the 1993 Circus Circus backup that has the turbine cowl and exhaust from the twin wing boat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast