Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winston Eagle Canard.

I've always liked the look of the Circus Circus too.
    The Circus Circus Canard is another of my favorites too. Of course.
    In fact I've been looking for the Dumas kit for a guy in our club that want's to build one.
    Can't find one anywhere. The one you posted a pic of is still available though.
    Looks like it's a scratch build from plans for him.

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    I know it's been a while. But we've been busy at work & the weather wasn't good for painting.
    But I shot a couple of coats of primer on last week, & had a test float Saturday.
    The photos are with the batteries in the forward position.
    Then I fitted all the gear on Saturday night & we had a test run on Sunday. Only an M445 to start with, but she got up on the plane quickly & was flying stable & level.

Unfortunately after only three laps the flex shaft blew apart at the coupler and at the weld on the stub. i don't know which happened first & caused the other, but I suspect the one at the weld let go first. But it ruined the stuffing tube up near the collet too, so that was it for the day. It certainly wasn't over powered just a failure I feel. It was a second hand shaft from another boat.

I had no turn fin on it, so it turned like a three legged dog. But I was pleased with the way she went in a straight line.
    She's got a new tube & shaft fitted & this Sunday will be the next test day.

A merry Christmas to all.
    Paul.
    That looks VERY cool on the water, Almost an X wing fighter for the surface. Good job and I await the results.

Thanks pal.
    I was going to call it the X-Wing "gen2", because the one in my avatar is the original X-Wing.
    But I've ordered some graphics naming it the "SEA EAGLE", as a sort of homage to the original 'Winston Eagle' that the kit started out as.

Well I think it was a successful day at Sippy Downs yesterday.
    After a couple of flips, some strut depth & angle adjustment, and some prop changes, she was running pretty good in a straight line.
    Cornering is a different matter. The turn fin at the heel of the front shoe certainly helps but at fast speed the inside sponson would lift & the boat rolled over. So it definitely needs a fin on the right sponson somewhere.
    In the videos you will see that I had to back out of it in the corners to avoid the rollovers.
    Ended up with an X450/3 prop & everything was just luke warm after a run. So an x452 /3 is next on the list.
    I left the batteries at the front, so Ray, your instincts seem to be right.
    But next time out I'm going to move one pack to the rear section & try that. If the front wants to lift, I'll add a bit of negative strut angle to compensate.
    If that doesn't work then both packs will go back to the forward position & all other adjustments will work around that COG position.

I'm encouraged enough to go ahead & give it a full paint job now.
    There's definitely more speed in it yet & once the cornering is sorted out it will be a great boat to run.

Here's some pics & vids of its first 'full' test day.

I'd like to thank everyone here for your help, insights, knowledge, & words of encouragement on this little experiment. It's all helped to get this thing on the water.

Attached Images Attached Images

Another video. This time from the end of the front straight.

Ray.
    Thanks for the advice. As you can see I've taken it & changed the Avatar.

Maybe guys in the gas forums can help you with turn fin location. Beautiful job and very different BTW.

That thing is just awsome, can't wait till you get a turn fin on it and make it turn WFO. Ya know for not having a turn fin it doesn't turn too bad.

I'm thinking for turn fin placement, maybe somewhere in between the front wing and the main wing? I think I'd try just behind the front wing first. I'm trying to think of some kind of temp. atatchment just for testing, I've got some badass doublesided tape made by 3M. I've broken Rx cases pulling them off after using this stuff, it's 3M VHB you can get it in different widths and roll sizes. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...e?N=6105&rt=r3

Thanks Detox. Good idea about the gas guys

Chris
    I did put a plate in the heel of the starboard sponson for a normal turn fin. I was always going to try one there. Not sure what the effects will be, since it is so far behind the COG & only a very short distance in front of the prop/rudder setup. only 9 inches.

I had also considered trying one basically where you suggest. In line with where ever the COG ended up. Or just in front of it. But since I only thought of that after I had built the sponsons, there's no reinforcing in there to mount them onto. And I had no idea where the COG would be anyway, at the time. So the 3M tape sounds like a good option for testing.

Then. By chance. Not half an hour ago. I saw this video.
    At 2:25 the Miss Elam canard flips. You can see the turn fin on the forward part of the sponson. I would guess that it is just in front of the COG. Good enough for me.

But I want to move one pack back to the rear of the boat to move the COG back a bit first. Just to see what the effects in a straight line would be.

Many canards do not use fins, the fastest ones anyway. Fischer and Dagger come to mind....but others have. I needed a fin on one of mine, I put the fin center just in front of the CG, attached it to the inside of the sponson (usually the best place for a fin, gives it maximum leverage and plenty on contact area). Considering that this build is a one-off conversion I think it handles great!

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thanks for that Fluid.
    On the inside of the sponson sounds like a plan. At least there's some 1/8" ply to screw to there.
    So there's a few options to try the next time out.

That is a very coool boat build - Awesome job
    Necessity is the mother of invention.............

Youtube Video's http://www.youtube.com/user/Titanis2000

Thanks Peter.
    I must get it back on the water sometime. I robbed the motor & ESC out of it for a different project.

I love to hear about the boats. These are some of the impressive models.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123