Thread: Cyberstorm 32 inch question

Default Cyberstorm 32 inch question

Setting up my cyberstorm and found that my cg is where i want it when i am using the batteries like saddlepacks, in other words, outside of the stringers to the edge of the boat on both sides with the speed controll sitting between them.
    THe other way is to put the esc on top of the motor, but that gets the weight higher in the boat. Is there anything wrong with having the batteries in a saddlepack config?

If you are meaning that you series your two equal packs on each side, thats what i do in all mine. Some folks, like 785boats for example, run one pack of desired voltage in the middle afront of the motor. this requires him to have the motor mounted far back in the hull. works great for him based on his trophy case.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

actually have the esc on the middle of the boat sitting low and the two battery backs outside of the ecs almost flush to the left and right side of the boat.

it spreads the weight out further to the sides, will the boat be more stable like that?

2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

I would probably be just a small amount more stable with it all in the middle, but i would venture that is almost unnoticable. You basically have the same amount of weight pushing the hull bottom down in the water with the same amount of water displacement.

Just thought of this, when cornering though the weight of the inside battery would possibly shift the side to side weight to the inside of the corner.............which in theory would help it bite on the inside.................???
    Last edited by Make-a-Wake; 11-11-2014 at 04:31 PM.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Havi nd the speed controller in the bottom of the boat is more of a help i bet less tippy

Now you have me thinking so i pondered and made a diagram of a scenario i never really thought of til now.

1. When the boat is absolutely level on the water, the side to side cog should be the same with either setup since the weight is pushing directly down.

2. with the inside battery config,, when the boat is tilted the "side to side" cog is closer to the keel due to the angle

3. This diagram shows the "extreme" to make a point. If it were tilted a full 90* then this shows that the "cog" is more on the inside of the corner. In real cornering the angle of tilt is less but it would still be inside of the turn more but to a lesser degree. This is just a "theory" i have came up with..............wad'ya think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I actually started a thread about this topic titled "Weight distribution vs. CoG" a while back. https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...CoG&highlight=

the one thing you missed on the diagram is that the esc is heavy and on top of the motor, so the cog with the batteries in the midle of the boat will probally be a lot higher then the esc in the middle and the batteries on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by gwweber View Post
    the one thing you missed on the diagram is that the esc is heavy and on top of the motor, so the cog with the batteries in the midle of the boat will probally be a lot higher then the esc in the middle and the batteries on the side.
    I thought the same thing, somewhat, but the packs are far heavier than the esc, I would think that it would be enough to maybe cancel it out at most, but not raise the cog, leaving you with weight distribution as the only major difference.