Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chargrilled Swordfish

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Well this one was black like the one above but a little worse, but I tested it like this.... (pretty obvious when you see it lol)
    Letting the smoke out is one way to test it, lol. Hopefully it doesn't damage your controller.
    Last edited by Rocstar; 11-10-2014 at 04:52 PM.
    "There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

Hey Terry, just think of it this way. You have the distinction of being the first man to toast a motor in RC boat history!

NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Well this one was black like the one above but a little worse, but I tested it like this.... (pretty obvious when you see it lol)

Travis, I'd think testing it that way would be a little rough on your tester....

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    Travis, I'd think testing it that way would be a little rough on your tester....
    That's why I'm using a mamba monster. It has protection. I shorted the wires on it the other day by accident. ... it was alot more zap than I expected. But the esc shuts down. Wish all our boat esc's would do the same
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

A motor with an 8mm shaft might help if the rotor is vibrating at full rpm. HET, NEU, and TP 4070 motors have 8mm shafts.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    A motor with an 8mm shaft might help if the rotor is vibrating at full rpm. HET, NEU, and TP 4070 motors have 8mm shafts.
    Big shafts are always better

Muhahahaha!
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Big shafts are always better

Muhahahaha!
    Boat Motors, Travis we're talking about BOAT MOTORS!!!

That's why I'm using a mamba monster. It has protection. I shorted the wires on it the other day by accident. ... it was alot more zap than I expected. But the esc shuts down. Wish all our boat esc's would do the same
    Many of them have the same protection. The Castle Ice air and marine ESCs both had/have over current protection. MGM and Schulze ESCs have safeties in place for reversed polarity, shorting, locked rotor, and motor leads falling off. However they will all tell you that any of these situation can still fry the ESC, regardless of protections within the ESC.

When I was using Castle Ice air ESCs in boats (before they released the Hydra Ice), I dunked a 160HV (essentially the same as a Hydra Ice 200HV) and the overcurrent protection shut the ESC off after spiking to just over 300A. I dried it out and it worked fine. Other people weren't so lucky though. Sometimes the overcurrent protection seemed to do nothing to prevent failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocstar View Post
    How are you testing bad motors? I thought about using my megger to test the windings like I use on industrial motors, but haven't tried it yet.
    A megger will really only be good to test for a fault to ground I think. To test for compromised windings, i.e. a short against itself, you would need an extremely high resolution/accurate ohm meter.

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    I may get pounced on for this, but i would confidently run a T120a with that 1515 you are considering, even on 6s. I ran my 4074 2200kv Leopard in my Pursuit with the T120 for a whole season, only $49 risk this time. If you dont feel comfortanle about that, the Hoss T180 Steven sells here will get the job done with NO question.
    Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    I'm gonna agree with most that the motor is the culprit, deffinetly looks like 1/2 the windings are fried in that pic. I'm running a TFL Ariane with a Swordfish 240 Pro Plus, TP4070 1770kv, and a Prather Stainless 230 48.5mm 1.6 pitch, on 6s. After a 6 lap heat temps are 120deg.F range on everything except packs and packs are usually around 90-95deg.F Average amp draw is around 160 with spikes up to 230 or so. My set up is a bit more agressive than yours and I have no issues.
    Ok good advice guys So... ok just looking at the ESC's Steve has got here......

I can go the Seaking 180 for $119.00 - yeah.. that's doable.

Or the Swordfish Pro 200 Amp 8S for $129.00

What is the pick of those two in people's opinions??

Will I get away with those on 6S in the Ariane Hull? And those cheaper 6S Swordfish speedy's...... can you actually run em on 6S? And in a 36in mono With that Neu 1515 1650?
    PERTH AUSTRALIA
    || 2 x SV 27R || Impulse 31 - ver1 || Traxxas Spartan || Kintec Pursuit || Zonda Cat 41" || Insane FE30 || OuterLimits 870mm || TFL Ariane 36" || ProBoat Zelos 48 ||

Not familiar with your hull, but I ran a 1521/1577kv on 6s in my 33" Cyberstorm(M445) with a SK180 for quite a while and it held up just fine. I haven't owned that particular SF, so I can't speak for it, but I have had some good luck with their other controllers.

Ok well the Ariane2 is a TFL Hull. 36 - 37 inches long. Nothing too off the planet Oh boy.... you can see my frikkin burnt cooling tube in this photo.....

Well ok... if you ran a 1521 / 1577kv on 6S with Seaking 180 then I'd wager I'd probably get away with it too in this hull with my setup. Most of my other boats actually run the seakings anyhow.

Add that to Make-a-Wake's advice/report above and the numbers are adding up for it.

I actually have 2 x Neu 1521 / 1860kv motors with the 8mm shafts that are going into a cat I have on the bench - which is partly why my spending cash is gone right now. But....... not for the Ariane I think.

I just wondered if the Swordfish - for the extra 20 bucks - has anything more to offer than the SK. If it's much of a muchness then I'd rather take the 20 into a seaside bar and get cocktails......

PERTH AUSTRALIA
    || 2 x SV 27R || Impulse 31 - ver1 || Traxxas Spartan || Kintec Pursuit || Zonda Cat 41" || Insane FE30 || OuterLimits 870mm || TFL Ariane 36" || ProBoat Zelos 48 ||

uuuuuu whats that smell looks like something I'd do. I have 2 boats that the smell of magic smoke just wont go away in... DJ
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

Terry, the T-180 is rated to alot more amps than the SF. We have used several T-180 esc's in 6S setups running motors up too 2300kv with no probs. We have yet to burn up a T-120 or T-180, but we sure have burnt up plenty of others... DJ
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

Quote Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
    uuuuuu whats that smell looks like something I'd do. I have 2 boats that the smell of magic smoke just wont go away in... DJ
    I havent experienced a smell like that which just doesnt leave.........even skunk odor goes away eventually.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

The swordfish 220a 2-6s is actually 10 bucks cheaper then the T180. The SF 200a 2-8s is 10 bucks more but its an opto, then you need to mess with an SBEC or a reciever pack for only 6s. I have an SBEC if you need one for minimal expense, but i'd go with the higher amperage 2-6s myself.

i would much rather a seaking 180 over a swordfish....

i would much rather a seaking 180 over a swordfish....
    Me too.................awesome ESC. I have heard some folks say its more like a 200a rating, maybe they did tests if such a thing exists for an esc.

Me too.................awesome ESC. I have heard some folks say its more like a 200a rating, maybe they did tests if such a thing exists for an esc.
    I'm pretty sure mine is a little more robust than stock too...I upgrade wiring to 8ga, upgrade caps and add a nice cap bank. You do those few things, and it's a pretty stout unit.

I add two 1000uf caps myself, just more confidence and probably longevity to the ESC as well.

I modded the cooling on one where the big empty space between the cooling tubes is closed off on each end and one intake and output fills the chamber for alot more efficient cooling. i used what i had laying around which ended up being aluminum L stock, the added side on the L just adds extra heat disapation i would imagine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I add two 1000uf caps myself, just more confidence and probably longevity to the ESC as well.

I modded the cooling on one where the big empty space between the cooling tubes is closed off on each end and one intake and output fills the chamber for alot more efficient cooling. i used what i had laying around which ended up being aluminum L stock, the added side on the L just adds extra heat disapation i would imagine.
    I'm sure it helps. I did something similar. ...

Nice! Mine looks like a "caveman" rendition compared to yours but its just for function, good job!

Yah know T180's had an issue of pre-mature thermal cutoff from my experience and a few others I spoke with, maybe it wasd the limited cooling system they made stock........

Nice! Mine looks like a "caveman" rendition compared to yours but its just for function, good job!

Yah know T180's had an issue of pre-mature thermal cutoff from my experience and a few others I spoke with, maybe it wasd the limited cooling system they made stock........
    i have not had mine shut down. Honestly, i have not seen temps over 109f so im sure thats why.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12