Thread: Vintage Hydro Dashboard Layout.

Default Vintage Hydro Dashboard Layout.

Would any of you learned gentlemen know what the general layout of gauges are in a Vintage Hydro. Say, from left to right in the attached pics.
    It's for my build on the Lauterbach U-36 if anyone can be that specific. But I can't find any info on it.
    But a general layout of the day would be fine.
    Thanks.
    Paul.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Thanks guys. But I still can't see which gauges go where in the dashboard.
    I assume there's tacho, speedo, oil pressure, oil temp (maybe), water temp, Voltage? & others. But where in the layout do they generally fit?

log onto face book and post on his page I am sure he would answer your questions. Show him some pics of your boat I bet he would think they are great.

jim
    Billy Graham

Paul, there is a video of Miss US somewhere that shows a close up of the dash panel. It's of the boat outside it's shed, on it's trailer (or stand) being engine tested. I'm searching my history to find it, but not having much luck. I'll keep looking...

Found it. Maybe not the boat I was thinking of (but I think it is), but it may help...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvsqI_8H22E
    Last edited by Pitts; 11-09-2014 at 08:33 PM.

Jim.
    I'm not on any of those social media sites, but I did find Jays' Email address on his Facebook site, so I'll contact him through that.
    Thanks for your help, once again Jim.

Pitts.
    Yes, that's the one I posted on the build log, but I just can't make out what the gauges are in each location.

Well I sent Jay an Email as you suggested Jim, & within a day I had two emails from him & one from Jack Shafer, the driver, with all sorts of information & images & even an invite from Jay to join him in the pits at their first meeting next year at Tavares Fla. Unfortunately I can't see that happening.
    They were happy with my rendition of the boat. Jay even linked to the video on his Facebook page.

So here's a bit of the info.

Top left to right,
    Left Cylinder Bank Temp
    Speedometer
    Tachometer
    Manifold Pressure
    Right Cylinder Bank Temp

Below left to right:
    Fuel Pressure
    Oil Temp
    Oil Pressure

Great stuff, Paul. I love it when the "full size" people also appreciate what the modeling guys do!!!
    Cant wait to see your completed Dash now...

I figured he would be real interested in your project and really willing to help. They love seeing good scale models especially RC models

Great info ... I have been looking for this same info for my RC Boatworks classic hydro. I am bookmarking this thread.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Which boat are you building?

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    Great info ... I have been looking for this same info for my RC Boatworks classic hydro. I am bookmarking this thread.
    Billy Graham

I must admit, that they both seemed genuinely pleased that someone had built a working model of their pride & joy.
    It's the love & passion of men like them, that keep those old pieces of history out there in their element.

I'm sure Jay won't mind if I posted a part of one of his Emails. A fascinating insight into the boat & his dedication to it.

Paul,
    Here are some photos of the panel, and of Jack in the cockpit and a close up of the tail graphics that are exactly reproduced as per the original back in 1957. I noticed you properly show the “Miss U.S. IV” on the deck graphics. We have not included the “IV” on the boat graphics but they do show her as the “IV” on the trailer.

Miss U.S. IV had a very short life in 1957 and 58 only running in the water 3 times in 57 and once in 58. She was the second boat of a two boat team owned by George Simon of U.S. Equipment company of Detroit, Michigan. The other boat was a Staudacher and was faster out of the box new so thus it was the preferred boat to race by Fred Alter the driver at that time. The IV never had a chance for any R and D and was the “old maid” of the fleet back then. She never won a race of the 4 entered but did place second in one, that only due to attrition of the other boats. But will say of the 4 races she entered, she always finished them, never breaking down. The reported maximum speed of Miss U.S. IV never exceeded 120 mph or about 190 kph when other boats were running in the 150 to 160 mph range on the straightaway stretches at the time. I am happy to say this summer after two previous years of working on improving performance issues, we were able to wake her up and she now is running very respectably, something I wish Henry Lauterbach was around to see. The concern we now have is for the integrity of the original hull. We had her completely refastened in 2011/12 replacing a little of the wood in the left sponson and completely reskinning the hull with new aluminum which was bonded to the original plywood using 3M 5200. But even so, we managed to tear the right sponson up at Detroit in July. She’s still an old girl and now has seen far more water time than she ever did in her life prior to our owning her. Consequently we are paying particular attention to the hull and its condition especially since she is now running fast. As you know winter is upon us up here now and this is when we have the time to give her the attention she needs for anything major. So far the hull looks good but we need to get into the bilge and start re torquing the many ¼ by 20 fasteners that help hold her together. We have has an annoying leak at the skid fin that we will also be diving into. It’s very tight in that area with the port fuel tank right on the fasteners. I’m hoping we will not have to cut an access hole in the deck or somewhere else to get at it.

Egneg
    I'm interested in which one you are building too.

Very cool the info he is giving you
    Billy Graham

Great stuff, did he include any other photos? Love this stuff

Yep. Some great info.
    Here's the other photos that both Jay & Jack sent me.
    Great stuff.

Here is another goof photo from Budweiser Hydro that I ad.
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    Which boat are you building?
    It's already built but not to any theme from past boats.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Quote Originally Posted by monojeff View Post
    Here is another goof photo from Budweiser Hydro that I ad.
    Thanks Jeff.