Thread: Quick SK180 ESC Question ??

Default Quick SK180 ESC Question ??

Just need to know what the round thing is for? Would love to remove.

Thanks

Those are for RF noise interference best to leave it on.
    Last edited by flraptor07; 11-08-2014 at 05:21 PM.

I was wondering about this awhile back. With our modern radios (spek here) do we really still need to be using these ? DJ
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

Quote Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
    I was wondering about this awhile back. With our modern radios (spek here) do we really still need to be using these ? DJ
    You might have a good point
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I am glad you asked that question! I was wondering the same thing for a long time.

I just opted to leave the one off of my UBEC in my latest twin mono, there are no other rings on any of the equipment. It seems to be fine so far. Good range and all that.

I took the one of my T-180 a year ago, been doing just fine with my Tower Hobbies/ Tactic radio.
    Modified Jae21, Stock Jae21, Cheetah, Ul-1, Shock Wave 26 V2 (Rescue Boat).

It's called a toroid if you want to look up some more info and draw your own conclusion.
    I personally leave them if they are there already. My logic is that I doubt the company in China would include something that costs even a few cents if it wasn't required, they cut corners on everything in the name of profits.
    Do I want to risk problems for something that nobody but me sees and causes no problems if it's there - NO!
    OCD isn't bad enough that I want to risk thinks for a slightly cleaner wiring job.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Yah my OCD is really bad and would like the longer wire for better placement of my reciever

I do understand the need of them on am/fm radios due to emf and rfi issues, we use to add them when we first started using the modern style esc's. (dang that was a long time ago ) I was wondering the need for them in our modern 2.4ghz radios since they are spread spektrum and a frequency with interference is not used. I would imagine manufacturers are using them to cover all bases since they are very inexpensive. Glad others have tried it and its working, I have had to add an extension on several builds that would not of needed one if I had taken out the toroid wraps...I going to try this and do some field testing myself too.... tks for all inputs guys... DJ
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

Hey just noticed the N.B! Where abouts? I'm one of those crazy Acadians from the north shore area.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Quote Originally Posted by siberianhusky View Post
    Hey just noticed the N.B! Where abouts? I'm one of those crazy Acadians from the north shore area.

Just outside of Saint John

Its actually called a ferrite choke. Toroid refers only to the shape( o-ring or donut). Would be the same as pointing to a horse shoe and calling it a "U".
    They are present on some power wires, computer cables and monitor cables ( those cylinder shaped bumps on one or both ends right before the connector)
    The help reduce electromagnetic and radio frequency interference.

Yes as stated already emf and rfi. Nomenclature wasnt the question, but they are referred to as a toroid, toroid ferrite, ferrite ring and a ferrite choke, which is normally the nomenclature used for the type that clamp on wires in computers etc... The question is, do we need them on our 2.4ghz radio gear ? I was looking for one of the engineer types to speak up and explain if we do or not need them and if so why.

Well I ran mine today without it and it worked fine, no glitches or spooky things happened

Trevor, thats good to hear. What radio system are you using ? DJ

Just a Spektrum DX2E

I've removed them with no negative impact. Using gtx3b radio from hk.
    'Toroid'....ringpiece?
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.