Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: R-42 Twin Beast

And another update, this is what I came up with for securing the forward end of the motors

I basically put a Z bend in the one end of the wire through the support to hold there, then a cinch bolt on the other. I feel this is enough support in the event of an 'airing out/flight'. It is just a helper for the main mount. I could not think of another way since the cooler completely covers the finned area of the motor.

Default Motor support

These are in aluminum but same idea on my KBB 45. DSC02646.jpgDSC02650.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    These are in aluminum but same idea on my KBB 45. DSC02646.jpgDSC02650.jpg
    You made those ones Chris?

Well guys I finally got a day off but am waiting on parts. Will have them tomorrow,DOH.

So I had in my head an idea for the hatch, I was going to hack up my old Komodo hatch and use the bubble glassed onto the ply. I figured it looked ok set on the hull, a little small but ok

So then I thought I wonder how the HPR looks

And then looked over and grabbed my Fantasm lid

The Fantasm looks best but the HPR is sleeker. I am of course NOT cutting up either of those hatches but I can shape a capsule based on them out of construction foam and that will be stronger than trying to graft the Komodo bubble.

Opinions anyone?

The Fantasm one looks best. The size looks about right, the others seem to small. Could also be that it's painted.

I can't believe I've been missing this thread! Great job do far. I like what you came up with on the rear of the motor mounts, pretty slick. Personally I like the hpr hatch better as its sleeker looking...I guess that what I prefer.

I'm not sure why you need a rubber boot on your flooded tube tho. They way I'd do it is I'd cap the end of the cf tube, drill a hole for one size larger brass than your stuffing tube. Pus short piece of it in the end of the flood tube where you drilled the hole. Epoxy it on place. Then you slide your tube. Maybe put a collar with a set screw going though the larger tube to lock the stuffing in place.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_NJ View Post
    The Fantasm one looks best. The size looks about right, the others seem to small. Could also be that it's painted.
    It also places best in the middle of the hull. The Komodo one needs to sit up front leaving a huge flat field in the back. So I need a chunk of foam.
    Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post

I'm not sure why you need a rubber boot on your flooded tube tho. They way I'd do it is I'd cap the end of the cf tube, drill a hole for one size larger brass than your stuffing tube. Pus short piece of it in the end of the flood tube where you drilled the hole. Epoxy it on place. Then you slide your tube. Maybe put a collar with a set screw going though the larger tube to lock the stuffing in place.
    Travis, i am trying to make it so this can all come apart and is as adjustable as can be.

Both the fantasm and the HPR look good. I like the scale of the smaller hatch look on the big beefy sponson. One of your custom foam hatches will look great.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    It also places best in the middle of the hull. The Komodo one needs to sit up front leaving a huge flat field in the back. So I need a chunk of foam.

Travis, i am trying to make it so this can all come apart and is as adjustable as can be.
    The way I was referring to sill be adjustable and allow it to come apart.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    The way I was referring to sill be adjustable and allow it to come apart.
    Yeah, this is just my second flood tube setup Travis. I am just concerned about the movement and the fact that this is not 13 or 14" of tube. Not to mention it is 5/16" and runs through the strut. If I put a solid piece in the flood tube it would make a shorter pivot point in the line.
    Believe me, a lot of thought went into this. I originally wanted to put a rubber grommet in the CF tube but I will be trying a varied set of props. Most likely 45mm to 55 or 57mm.

What is wrong with the AC full hatch. Mine looks great.
    Well guys I finally got a day off but am waiting on parts. Will have them tomorrow,DOH.

So I had in my head an idea for the hatch, I was going to hack up my old Komodo hatch and use the bubble glassed onto the ply. I figured it looked ok set on the hull, a little small but ok

So then I thought I wonder how the HPR looks

And then looked over and grabbed my Fantasm lid

The Fantasm looks best but the HPR is sleeker. I am of course NOT cutting up either of those hatches but I can shape a capsule based on them out of construction foam and that will be stronger than trying to graft the Komodo bubble.

Opinions anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    What is wrong with the AC full hatch. Mine looks great.
    I have not really been fond of it myself. I only have the half hatch with it right now. Though I will have another look at the full hatch Howard as my time these days does seem a bit limited and making one would use up time.

Yeah, this is just my second flood tube setup Travis. I am just concerned about the movement and the fact that this is not 13 or 14" of tube. Not to mention it is 5/16" and runs through the strut. If I put a solid piece in the flood tube it would make a shorter pivot point in the line.
    Believe me, a lot of thought went into this. I originally wanted to put a rubber grommet in the CF tube but I will be trying a varied set of props. Most likely 45mm to 55 or 57mm.
    In the flood tube, if affixed on the motor end the stuffing tube would have all the up and down travel that your hole in the transom allows. What I'm referring to is pretty much the same design as a stock impulse 31, with a much better way of doing it. You use say a 5/8 or so cf tube. Epoxy it to the inside where the hole is at the rear foot of your sponsons. Bracket to hold in place. Capped off at motor end. Stuffing goes through there. The short piece I mentioned that goes through the capped end that's one size bigger than stuffing tube, allows the stuffing to slide in and out when making adjustments....

You made those ones Chris?
    Yes I did, except for the water cooled front plates. BTW the Fantasm hatch looks best IMO.

20140911_193213.jpg

Here's what mine looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarel View Post
    20140911_193213.jpg

Here's what mine looks like.
    Sorry Oscar, I thought I posted last week here. It does look good but I do really like doing my own custom looks. And I was unable to find a spare hatch online anywhere, it was considered. I also am finding a hard time getting up thru the mountains to see Andy where I could also most likely get one.

Sooo, I came up with this hairbrained idea(I actually had help from the GF here). I used Press and Seal Saran and then paper mache to go over my Fantasm hatch to make the mould. This took a couple of try's as if you have too much glue in the paper as it dries it warps. But I got it:

Then laid a brushing of epoxy on the inside of the Saran and laid down some cloth. The Saran stayed with the form.

I did not want to do too much cloth(layers) as I only epoxied the canopy and not the join area( I didn't want to mess this up). This will leave me a bit of flexibility in bonding it to the ply. But it turned out OK

My under ply supports have been boiled and are drying/forming as I type

Looks great Shawn. I love the pretty cloth accent inside the mold. Looks like the woman's touch worked out well for you. Nice and simple, i like that! (you made it look easy anyway)
    I

Coming out really good shawn....love the paper mache idea as well. I can't wait to see the final result of the hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisg81983 View Post
    Coming out really good shawn....love the paper mache idea as well. I can't wait to see the final result of the hatch.
    Thanks Chris and Jeff, she suggested this and I thought, heck, sounds cheap and easy for a 'one off'. And it is always good to learn new things. I am eager to get some time off soon and get cranking on this.

Jeff, I got both long and short struts to work here on my own. Not sure about rudder yet.

she suggested this and I thought, heck, sounds cheap and easy for a 'one off'. And it is always good to learn new things.
    Nice to have someone around to help out with ideas like that. Cheap, easy and quick! I'll have to keep this one in mind. Nice!

So the hatch stringers/supports came out nice. I cut my two ply pieces(did I mention the small adventure finding 1/32' ply locally?) fit them and then made my capsule template and cut a hole in the ply to stick it through.

Recognize the tape measure Jeff?

I figured it best to insert through the inside of the opening so I could put more cloth on it. Then when reality struck, HOW WAS I TO GET THIS ALL TOGETHER AND FOLLOW THE SHAPE OF THE HULL?
    I decided to make a JIG/FORM

So now I can build the hatch how I like nicely on the underside and keep topside nice

Hoping to set some of this up in the morning. It is still going to be a bit tedious, wood is not really 'my thing'.

Ahhhh, I love working with wood! Coming along well Shawn!

Wow Shawn, nice brother. I hadnt been in for awhile...nice idea with the hatch, will have to remember that one for making my Drag Hydro hatch.... DJ
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

Quote Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
    Wow Shawn, nice brother. I hadnt been in for awhile...nice idea with the hatch, will have to remember that one for making my Drag Hydro hatch.... DJ
    You CAN do anything with F/G if you have the time and patience. Glad I finally acquired the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_NJ View Post
    Ahhhh, I love working with wood! Coming along well Shawn!
    Thanks Ken, how is paint coming?

White is done, pinholes are gone. Will be masking the sides and spraying the black this weekend, temps permitting. Have my masking & decals from Callie so I'm ready for the next phase.

LOL, not much to show, I painted a white boat white.

Glad you got them pesky pinholes taken care of

Next time you make a hatch use the convex side of the curve you cut out and cut the plywood 1" longer on each end. Pin the ends down and glass the curve then flip it over and glass the other side, the curve will glassed in, then cut you opening and the curve will stay.
    You are going to need about 4 layers of glass on that thin plywood to keep it from caving in when you go upside down at 60+ mph.

Quote Originally Posted by jcald2000 View Post
    Next time you make a hatch use the convex side of the curve you cut out and cut the plywood 1" longer on each end. Pin the ends down and glass the curve then flip it over and glass the other side, the curve will glassed in, then cut you opening and the curve will stay.
    You are going to need about 4 layers of glass on that thin plywood to keep it from caving in when you go upside down at 60+ mph.
    Geez, that sounds kinda simple too, DOH. Oh well, next time. Thank you mr. Cald.
    This is going to have ribs and then the second ply. There will be some glass in there as well. Hoping it will be good.

Looking great Shawn. Lots of unique things I'm learning here.

Speaking of unique things, I am big on the push/pull rudder setup as of late. I just feel it looks and feels more precise. Sooo, I decided to modify my Speedmaster setup. One of the gas guys dumped a handful of strut/rudder parts on me so a little experiment with spare parts was in order. I am like many and have limited tools but with good thought and planning can pull off some 'mini' great things. So instead of milling material off the aluminum rudder pivot I used my Tablesaw (Jeff is cringing :-).) and inserted a piece of CF. Jeff(fella1340) had sent me a box of goodies awhile back and it continues to supply me with little surprises like the GOOD quality CF that made my arms here.

I tapped in a 3mm grub screw to double 'lock' the arm into the pivot.
    This is the servo I found at the LHS. 277oz.in. and WP. A bit pricey but I have to throw a little $$ his way now and again

Last edited by srislash; 12-14-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast