Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the basic or best ajustments for HK Pursuit boat?

Default What are the basic or best ajustments for HK Pursuit boat?

Hi everyone, I crashed my Rio ep, and deceided to go a step further in FE boating. I search the web, looked at alot of boat of all size and configurations, and i came across the Pursuit. Great lookin and most important, seems to be very stable at high speed. But i know i will have to make some tweeking to it. So What do you guys suggest? I will start with the stock motor hooked up to my MM2 esc and Tactik rx/tx.

Thank you for your help!

Most everyone that owns a Pursuit takes out the motor and pops in a 4074 or 4082. Sure, it will run on the stock configuration but its not real fast, around 35mph. The motor is an odd kv as well at 1620.........5 or 6s territory but its too small to turn a decent prop to get more speed worth mentioning.

As far as basic adjustments if you intend to run stock, make sure the driveline is lined up well to the motor, and that all screws and bolts are tightened. Ths stock prop is actually pretty productive as my friend ran his against mine, same motors(4074 2200kv's), me running an x442 and he stayed right with me

I would suggest looking into a 4074 and a T120 ESC which will spin a 4074 2200 no problem, i did it for a whole season and was running high 40's
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

The Pursuit is a great boat, stable and handles well. The motor that came with mine is in a box somewhere, never been run. I run a 4050 2200kv TP motor and T180 esc. The stinger and tabs I adjusted only slightly from out of the box, the boat runs like it is on rails. On 4s2p it is capable of speeds in the 60mph region and still handles awesome.
    You will be happy with a Pursuit. I recommend a layer of carbon in the bottom of the hull for extra strength, and it is well capable of motor upgrades as you need. It took me a year of hard racing to wreck the original flex shaft too!
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

I was thinking of running it with the Traxxas ET-2400(2400kv) paired with my MM@( same setup i had in my Rio). Would it be good for this boat? I don't want to buy another motor or esc if not really needed.
    Thanks!

Which version of Pursuit? There is one that is with a stinger, then another one with strut.
    If you have the one with the stinger, the MOST important thing to do is to seal the gap between the stinger barrel and its base plate. I will up load a picture later to show you what I mean.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

I forgot, but what is the MM ESC?
    Never mind, I got it: Mamba Monster.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Which version of Pursuit? There is one that is with a stinger, then another one with strut.
    If you have the one with the stinger, the MOST important thing to do is to seal the gap between the stinger barrel and its base plate. I will up load a picture later to show you what I mean.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...m_w_Motor.htmlIt is this boat!

I run with a M545 prop and it is a sweet boat , with 2400kv, may be to start with a smaller prop? Say a D-T'ed x442, then M445, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by boilo56 View Post
    Real nice, yes, this stinger has a gap that needs to be sealed either with larger diameter tube ( like those for Nitro exhaust pipe) or silicone sealant ( the Home Depot variety for bathroom and househood).

I run with a M545 prop and it is a sweet boat , with 2400kv, may be to start with a smaller prop? Say a D-T'ed x442, then M445, etc.
    What about the stock prop with that motor, is it good or should i get one of those you mentioned? i'll be running 3s and 4s mostly.

I guess it is OK, never used it, that wasn't my point, my point was that at 2400kv you may want to start with a smaller prop to see how things go, sorry if I was not clear. X442 as suggested is great, I like them de-tongued anyway, but the suggestion was excellent.

I guess it is OK, never used it, that wasn't my point, my point was that at 2400kv you may want to start with a smaller prop to see how things go, sorry if I was not clear. X442 as suggested is great, I like them de-tongued anyway, but the suggestion was excellent.
    Well, i'm from RC truck, and i don't really understand the ''big prop/ small prop thing'' so i guess that for same pitch/bigger diameter, you get more speed... and more acceleration with same diameter/ higher pitch... am i right?

Like gear ratio. For the same pitch, a larger diameter prop should theoretically give you more speed, but the increased size may be too big for the motor to swing efficiently and other issues such as heat, torque roll, chine walk can come into play. This is why for the Aqua Craft Revolt people say it is better to run a x642 than a M445 or M545 because the latter two have a tendency to make the hull chine walk a bit.
    Also a bigger dia. prop for the same given set up means higher amp draw, that translates to heat and heat is what kills the ESC and motor . I am only saying this in the MOST GENERAL TERMS. Selecting the proper diameter and pitch is an endeavor which requires experience and a lot of trial and error.
    My main concern was that the motor is 2400kv, and that is not a low kv to run on a 4s set up with a sport boating intention. So to be safe with your components, I suggested to start with a smaller prop.

Isnt the MM esc a car ESC? Is it watercooled???

That 2400 motor looks like it should work being a 36 x 70mm. I would try the stock prop first, as I mentioned a friend ran his with it and it went quite well.

As mentioned a great prop choice would be the x442 with that motor.

Go with at least 5000mah 40c batts if you are running 1p(2 x 2s in series)
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Here is the stinger before I applied sealant:DSCN1827_1333.jpg
    and after:
    DSCN1856_1360.jpg

Like gear ratio. For the same pitch, a larger diameter prop should theoretically give you more speed, but the increased size may be too big for the motor to swing efficiently and other issues such as heat, torque roll, chine walk can come into play. This is why for the Aqua Craft Revolt people say it is better to run a x642 than a M445 or M545 because the latter two have a tendency to make the hull chine walk a bit.
    Also a bigger dia. prop for the same given set up means higher amp draw, that translates to heat and heat is what kills the ESC and motor . I am only saying this in the MOST GENERAL TERMS. Selecting the proper diameter and pitch is an endeavor which requires experience and a lot of trial and error.
    My main concern was that the motor is 2400kv, and that is not a low kv to run on a 4s set up with a sport boating intention. So to be safe with your components, I suggested to start with a smaller prop.
    Ok, thanks, that is what i tought! But in your opinion, should i stay with the 1620kv motor with the MM2, to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    Isnt the MM esc a car ESC? Is it watercooled???

That 2400 motor looks like it should work being a 36 x 70mm. I would try the stock prop first, as I mentioned a friend ran his with it and it went quite well.

As mentioned a great prop choice would be the x442 with that motor.

Go with at least 5000mah 40c batts if you are running 1p(2 x 2s in series)
    Yes it is, but i made a custom watercooling for it! You can see the setup in this vid!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ptf0w6PvHM

Ok, thanks, that is what i tought! But in your opinion, should i stay with the 1620kv motor with the MM2, to begin with?

You will find that the speed on a 1620kv motor with 4s set up to be quite slow. If I were you, I will try the 2400kv motor with a bunch of cheap plastic props starting at 40mm perhaps,http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...s+Carbon+Props ,
    then you can use x442 as recommended.

Thank you tlandauer, that was really, very helpful!!! Send me a bill via paypal, i,ll pay you a beer!!!

Saw your vid, that little Rio was moving, as it should with such power in it. So, same motor and ESC but 4s in the Pursuit, right?

I would use heatshrink next time for electronics and not tape, that could be a disaster.

Saw your vid, that little Rio was moving, as it should with such power in it. So, same motor and ESC but 4s in the Pursuit, right?

I would use heatshrink next time for electronics and not tape, that could be a disaster.
    Yes, same setup on 4s, maybe 5s(motor limit). The tape is already gone!!! I put new wires!

Thank you tlandauer, that was really, very helpful!!! Send me a bill via paypal, i,ll pay you a beer!!!
    You are welcome, happy boating my friend!

Hi Boilo
    The stock prop is a detounged 42mm prop and should be ok with your MM2 motor. When you run do 1 minute then bring it in and check temps. If every thing is not more than warm to touch then run for two minutes etc. (others can extrapolate on specific temps for you). Just do not run your batteries down too much. Keep trying props etc and checking things until you can run happily without anything overheating.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

I found my original Pursuit prop, kinda beat up from banging around in a prop box, i am showing it next to an x442.

It's kind of a funky looking prop, cleaverish..............De-tongued is an understatement.........

The second pic is distorted, its the same diameter as the x442
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you guys, that helps! But now, i just received it, and i can't remove the flex... it won't come out, do you have any tricks???

Just put it in a vice and yank as hard as you can, then beat the end of the hull with a mallet til it either breaks or comes loose.

LOL......................... just kidding

Will it not come out of the collett? I had the same problem, it's a big ole clunky looking 2 piece collet isnt it?

Just put it in a vice and yank as hard as you can, then beat the end of the hull with a mallet til it either breaks or comes loose.

LOL......................... just kidding

Will it not come out of the collett? I had the same problem, it's a big ole clunky looking 2 piece collet isnt it?
    here is a pic of the colet.
    IMG_20141107_194258.jpg

Can you get the nut off any further? Looks like it is touching the teflon tube now. You may have to cut the teflon tube end off flush with the stuffing tube and get the nut off, then use a flathead to spread the compressed part where the cable is stuck. Cant remember but can you remove the motor and pull the cable all the way thru backwards after you take the prop and drivedog off?

Did you remove the stinger from the rear? That boat has a two piece drive shaft. Flex shaft has a square end that enters a seperate prop shaft. You either have to remove the motor or remove the stinger strut from the hull to get flex shaft out. And don't cut the Teflon tube. Just push it flush with the stuffing tube and the extra will fit inside the stinger strut at the stern.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan73 View Post
    Did you remove the stinger from the rear? That boat has a two piece drive shaft. Flex shaft has a square end that enters a seperate prop shaft. You either have to remove the motor or remove the stinger strut from the hull to get flex shaft out. And don't cut the Teflon tube. Just push it flush with the stuffing tube and the extra will fit inside the stinger strut at the stern.
    I will try that, it is less work than removing the motor... And is there any place i can get the technical detail for the boat? Parts list or something like that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast