Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What motor? Leopard 3674, Leopard 4074, or tp 4050

Default What motor? Leopard 3674, Leopard 4074, or tp 4050

Hello guys, I'm considering a new motor for my boat. I'm currently running a AQ1800kv 3656 out of a revolt, and I'm pretty happy with it, but would like more punch out of the hole, and maybe a bit more top speed, but mostly punch. I'm thinking that a larger motor with slightly more kv can swing an equal prop harder and faster, with the same or lower temps, yes?

The the boat in question is linked in my sig.

DF 29"
    seaking 180 v3
    AQ 1800 6 pole
    Octura x445
    4s lipo

What Leopard or TP motor would you recommend for this boat?
    Thank you for your thoughts.
    -Dan

Leo 3674 2200kv IMO. Is also a great motor for the revolt

With a leo 2200 on 4s of course, I would try an x442 as a start then move to an m445...After that and if is all good you want more speed or whatever try m545, and m645 but these cause more torque roll so you will have to teak it.

Default What motor? Leopard 3674, Leopard 4074, or tp 4050

I would go with the Leo 4074 only because I ran one for a long time and it was awesome.
    Tp I've never tried.
    Also the 4074 Leo is y wind which I prefer.
    I think the 3674 version is D? Which I don't care for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

I would say that the Leopard 3674 with your esc would make a very fast and reliable DF29. 2200 D wind for 4s. My 2cents.

Both 3674 and 4074 would work well. If you are using 4s1p, I think the 3674 is the way to go. But if your plan is 4s2p, then why not the 4074. As Luck had said, I too have had great experience with the 40xx sized Leopard. (2200)
    Note that for a long time I shied away from D wind motor , but lately I have used a few TP motor that are "D" wind, as long as you set the timing accordingly, there is no drawback whatsoever.
    With the TP motor, I am partial to their 36xx motors but have not had any real world experience with their 40xx motor, the one I ordered had to be send back due to the front end-bell mounting holes out of spec ( this was a rare machining defect) and I could not mount it . Gave up, they gave me full refund and CS was good.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Both 3674 and 4074 would work well. If you are using 4s1p, I think the 3674 is the way to go. But if your plan is 4s2p, then why not the 4074. As Luck had said, I too have had great experience with the 40xx sized Leopard. (2200)
    Note that for a long time I shied away from D wind motor , but lately I have used a few TP motor that are "D" wind, as long as you set the timing accordingly, there is no drawback whatsoever.
    With the TP motor, I am partial to their 36xx motors but have not had any real world experience with their 40xx motor, the one I ordered had to be send back due to the front end-bell mounting holes out of spec ( this was a rare machining defect) and I could not mount it . Gave up, they gave me full refund and CS was good.
    I've had the same experience. I can't say whether the d wind draws more amps, but I've run the piss out my boat and it has run the same temps (motor cooler actually). I've said it before and I'll say it again, do not let the d or y wind be the deciding factor....the more important factors are the kv and can size. Just put timing at 0 for a d wind. I've read they have more top end. I cannot personally confirm this.

As for the OP question, after taking apart the first leopard motor I ever have just last night...I can say I'm not a fan. The build quality looks shoddy at best. I'd recommend a castle 1515 or a tp 4050. The tp motors are built Suprisingly nice.....just make sure you add screws to the rear cap. (Castle would be my pick)
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Thanks all, this lets me know I'm thinking in the correct direction.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I'd recommend a castle 1515 or a tp 4050. The tp motors are built Suprisingly nice.....just make sure you add screws to the rear cap. (Castle would be my pick)
    I thought castle motors were finned and therefore could not receive a water cooling jacket. And can you elaborate on the adding of screws to the rear of the TP motors please?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danallen View Post
    Thanks all, this lets me know I'm thinking in the correct direction.

I thought castle motors were finned and therefore could not receive a water cooling jacket. And can you elaborate on the adding of screws to the rear of the TP motors please?
    Thanks
    They make coolers for the finned Castle motors. They sell them right here on ose. I have several of them. Here's one..

I don't think I would use a 36mm can motor btw...

The tp motors (well they used to be, not sure if they have changed) had the rear cap glued on. If I had one of those, I'd simply drill and tap for 3mm or 4-40 screws.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

And would this be better? http://www.tppowerusa.com/motors/bui...series/tp-3650
    looking at the 3y config.
    It should work, if you are looking at 4s set up with as much speed as possible without being impractical, a 2200kv will give you a bit more zoom provided you don't over prop it. The motor you quoted is north of 2000kv, actually it may be able to handle more prop, but it is a very long can and in this case I agree with Travis, might as well go for a 40xx sized can. The TP Travis pointed to you should be good for that purpose.
    One really needs to see the inside of a motor to form an educated opinion. This much I can tell: I like the built-quality on the TP 36xx motors, it would not surprise me that their 40xx motors are built the same manner.
    I never had a bad Leopard either, but I don't flock them to death as I neither race nor over power them. You should form your own opinion after reading a bit more.
    The Castle Creation 1515 1y is a great motor, I have the green can finned version in my Insane Mono 34" running 4s2p, there is also a black version that is finned as well, they are almost the same but the motor end bell is a bit different and I personally prefer the green can as shown by Travis in his picture. Those motors were selling for $169 each and IMO is not to be confused with another version that is sold by TowerHobbies.
    This is the one I like: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZZZ5&P=SM
    This is the one I suspect: it came as a combo with the ESC, but the price is suspiciously low:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXEBHZ, note that this is a smooth can. No one has tried this so far to the best of my knowledge here on the Forum.

Just to be clear: the black can 1515 finned Castle motor was made for Traxxas if I am correct, they are very good, have two . But for some reason if you pull and push the motor shaft by hand, the shaft/rotor on the green ones are absolutely stationary, no slack whatsoever, this is not true on their black finned motors, they do have some slop and as far as I can tell where as on the green ones the rear end bell is "sealed" , on the black ones the bearing is exposed, may be there is some internal difference in the bearing set up that can be attributed to this phenomenon.
    Last edited by tlandauer; 11-05-2014 at 12:55 AM. Reason: provide additional info on CC motors

Buy stronger lipos and smaller esc.
    Stronger lipos will give you more speed and punch and a smaller esc like seaking 120 is almost half weight.

Jkr

I run a Leo 3674 2200kv on 4S in a 29" mono running a 642 (worked !!) its fast and has been reliable. But, if you have the funds I would get the castle or Neu 1515, longer life, more power and bit less amp draw from what I've experienced.... DJ
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

Right now E-MAXX 2200 Kv motors (re-branded Castle 1515s) are available on eBay BIN for under $110. These are much better motors than Leopard or TP and will have more than enough punch for the OP's application. The T-180 will be more than enough for this motor on 4S - DO NOT go with a smaller ESC. Saving an ounce of weight is meaningless compared to not having to worry about cooking a cheap 120 amp ESC.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thanks, I didnt realise Castle 1515 motors could be had for pretty much the same price as the TP or leo. Really leaning toward the castle now.

Def grab a castle motor. I didn't know they were so affordable these days. Much better than Leo or tp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Right now E-MAXX 2200 Kv motors (re-branded Castle 1515s) are available on eBay BIN for under $110. These are much better motors than Leopard or TP and will have more than enough punch for the OP's application. The T-180 will be more than enough for this motor on 4S - DO NOT go with a smaller ESC. Saving an ounce of weight is meaningless compared to not having to worry about cooking a cheap 120 amp ESC.

This is the best advice to be given in this thread.

Reason I said 3674 because my revolt handled better with the lighter weight

Quote Originally Posted by jim82 View Post
    Reason I said 3674 because my revolt handled better with the lighter weight
    If your concerned with weight, a 1515 neu is noticeably lighter because it's not finned. Or you can get one of the new ribbed can castle motors instead of the finned version.

I have run both 3650 2250kv and 4060 2200kv tp motors in my Pursuit. The smaller motor ran hotter and was limited to the size props I could use, 442 being about max.. The bigger motor will run a wider range of props and with 4s2p can take a 548 happily. It rocks with this prop and the boat at speed just lifts out of the water further and flys, but is still stable and runs on rails. Imo the extra weight of the bigger motor is more help than hindrance, and I prefer the boat set up this way. I race and often it is against bigger gas boats which I beat most of them.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Can anyone tell me more about the difference between the Traxxas black can 2200kv (made in taiwan) and the Castle green can 2200kv (made in china) ?

I can find the traxxas motor for around $90, but the Castle is around $130. Is the Castle worth the extra $40? Also, why isn't the Traxxas motor made in the same factory as the Castle if they are the same, just rebranded.

Again, thankyou for all the help so far.

Can anyone tell me more about the difference between the Traxxas black can 2200kv (made in taiwan) and the Castle green can 2200kv (made in china) ?

I can find the traxxas motor for around $90, but the Castle is around $130. Is the Castle worth the extra $40? Also, why isn't the Traxxas motor made in the same factory as the Castle if they are the same, just rebranded.

Again, thankyou for all the help so far.
    It is probably not worth the $40 difference, but I was slightly bothered by the fact that one can move the rotor in and out on the black can. I have not run the black can on a boat yet and therefore I can't tell you if it is of any concern. Again, as said CC has these factories overseas build to their spec and standard and so they are good motors.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

It is probably not worth the $40 difference, but I was slightly bothered by the fact that one can move the rotor in and out on the black can.
    Pretty much what I am thinking too.

It is probably not worth the $40 difference, but I was slightly bothered by the fact that one can move the rotor in and out on the black can. I have not run the black can on a boat yet and therefore I can't tell you if it is of any concern. Again, as said CC has these factories overseas build to their spec and standard and so they are good motors.

ummm, you should be able to move the rotor in and out a little. all my motors i have you can. i even have a brand new neu and i measured endplay, was .025

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    ummm, you should be able to move the rotor in and out a little. all my motors i have you can. i even have a brand new neu and i measured endplay, was .025
    I am with you, but clearly the black can has much more than one would expect. This is especially surprising for me since I am familiar with the green. I will try to measure when I get home.

I've got several different castle and Neu 1515 .... both my black finned can motors have the same very minimal rotor play, around .025 as Travis mentioned. I checked all my Neu and castle motors, the rotor movement was same on all. Tim, if yours is more than that, you might have one thats a bit out of spec or a bad bearing bud... DJ
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

Quote Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
    I've got several different castle and Neu 1515 .... both my black finned can motors have the same very minimal rotor play, around .025 as Travis mentioned. I checked all my Neu and castle motors, the rotor movement was same on all. Tim, if yours is more than that, you might have one thats a bit out of spec or a bad bearing bud... DJ
    I based my observation on two brand new CC 1515 black can motors I bought here, but my ex and her parents are visiting here , I don't think opening and displaying my motor collections in front of them is a wise idea,
    otherwise I want to measure the travel of the rotor. Will do it some other time.

a 1515 is a 4074 motor which is heavier, if he was running a 33in hull I would say yea

IMO a 1515 is to much for a 29in. hull...but its your boat and money do what you want

Danallen i have a tenshock czii2250 if you are interested.
    Smaller than castle 1515 but much more stronger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast