Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Legg Lake 5-Day Super SAW Event Wed Nov 5th-Sun Nov 9th

Curious as to what kind of a setup it takes to break the record that Tyler got?
    I just mean in generial terms. i know there is loads of work, tweaking, failures and success. But what motor and how many cells?
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Ten S packs, Lehner motor, special ESC, special non-copper prop, very high rpm, special rigger design....you won't get close with all off-the-shelf parts. But neither did the JAGs Team back in 2006. This kind of performance takes special dedication, few even attempt it. And all that ignores the requirement to drive the boat. Just a few degrees off perfect will chop off plenty of mph from the trap times. Not enough run-up means you are still accelerating through the traps. Bottom line - no matter how it looks, it ain't easy buckwheat.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Congratulations to Tyler for a fantastic achievement.
    Also to all the competitors.
    And especially to the hard working organisers of the whole event.
    Looking forward to some videos.

Hi,
    is there a list of all new records ? This 5 days are filles with records , congrats to all new recordholder . Speedy water at Legg Lake .
    Happy Amps Christian

Hello guys and thanks for all the compliments. I still have a smile glued on my face from the run Sunday night. I will get all the official results from Kim Grim once they have been double checked as well as post pics of all the competitors with their boats. Bear with me as I sort out the details and make a write up of the event.

TG
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Looking forward for this and great job Tyler.Congrats
    Gill
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

Slowly sorting & uploading. Here's Jay's T-Sport Hydro record backup pass. Smooth running and look carefully at about 0.04 sec when Jay lifts a sponson as a salute to us on the beach (the way fliers tip a wing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leq-DQ3LRUk
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

A video of the record run:

Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

240p resolution?!?!?!?!?!?

You are killing me!! nonetheless, Congrats!!! Very well deserved!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan73 View Post
    240p resolution?!?!?!?!?!?

You are killing me!! nonetheless, Congrats!!! Very well deserved!!!!!!
    Are you friggin kidding me complaining about video quality when as stated above it was 20-30 minutes past sun down. And no other video posted yet. Get real EDIT!

Tyler (buddy)
    Great runs, glad you got it and I was there to see your true happiness.
    Brian
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 11-12-2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: unacceptable

Realize that the record was set ~ 20 minutes after sunset, it was too dark for any high-res video. Heck, it was almost too dark to even drive. Frankly we are lucky to have any video at all......

Edit: Looks like Brian beat me to it. For those who are looking for HD video - but who have never been to a SAW event - I can give you my reason. While I took a lot of video over the 3 days I was there, I would rather watch the record run with an unimpeded view, which BTW was awesome to see. I did look around and saw that there were half a dozen cell phones recording it - which in good light will give HD quality video. But so near to dark, it's low-res or no-res. I'll take low...
    Last edited by Fluid; 11-12-2014 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Overlapping posts
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I guess no-one can afford a HD camera..

But, Congratulations Tyler..time to update your signature on the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by B Neal View Post
    Get real EDIT!
    Thats not very nice.

We can complain about the video quality, doesn't take anything away from Tylers accomplisment.
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 11-12-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Are you friggin kidding me complaining about video quality when as stated above it was 20-30 minutes past sun down. And no other video posted yet. Get real EDIT!

Tyler (buddy)
    Brian
    relax, take a midol or something
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 11-12-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Honestly I have Brian Neal to thank the most followed closely by Ralf Moser for the last run to the record. I had made multiple passes at 137mph throughout the week and was hitting a wall for power. Brian Neal was generous enough to loan me an older Schulze 40.160 which is rare as hens teeth and Ralf Moser offered up his SLS Magnum batteries. I put on the smallest stainless prop from Brent Daily and waited till the last minute. The controller and the battery made all the difference! Keep in mind Brian was within 1 mph of the overall record as well and still loaned me a controller. Couldn't ask for a greater bunch of guys to race with!

TG
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Realize that the record was set ~ 20 minutes after sunset, it was too dark for any high-res video. Heck, it was almost too dark to even drive. Frankly we are lucky to have any video at all......

Edit: Looks like Brian beat me to it. For those who are looking for HD video - but who have never been to a SAW event - I can give you my reason. While I took a lot of video over the 3 days I was there, I would rather watch the record run with an unimpeded view, which BTW was awesome to see. I did look around and saw that there were half a dozen cell phones recording it - which in good light will give HD quality video. But so near to dark, it's low-res or no-res. I'll take low...
    I can relate and would definitely want to be focused on watching instead of recording, but honestly, resolution has nothing to do with low or bright light. The opening in the lens is what allows too much or not enough light for a good exposure. If I may make a suggestion, for future events, maybe someone can provide a camera on a tripod? No need for anyone to get their feathers ruffled.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Honestly I have Brian Neal to thank the most followed closely by Ralf Moser for the last run to the record. I had made multiple passes at 137mph throughout the week and was hitting a wall for power. Brian Neal was generous enough to loan me an older Schulze 40.160 which is rare as hens teeth and Ralf Moser offered up his SLS Magnum batteries. I put on the smallest stainless prop from Brent Daily and waited till the last minute. The controller and the battery made all the difference! Keep in mind Brian was within 1 mph of the overall record as well and still loaned me a controller. Couldn't ask for a greater bunch of guys to race with!

TG
    This is great sportsmanship, again, you guys are the inspiration for the rest of us !!!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by tlandauer; 11-12-2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Are you friggin kidding me complaining about video quality when as stated above it was 20-30 minutes past sun down. And no other video posted yet. Get real or stfu!

Tyler (buddy)
    Brian
    Play Nice. Telling someone to "stfu" is not in line with the spirit of the forum.
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

Keep in mind Brian was within 1 mph of the overall record as well and still loaned me a controller.
    And THAT is what FE is made of. Stories like that keep me coming back to racing year after year.
    Noisy person

Hey Tyler,
    I have been a bit out of the loop, Don Wollard just told me about
    Your incredible accomplishments. A big congratulations
    For your new speed record…..The World’s Fastest Man”
    "Bravo" !!!
    I can only imagine the hard work and time you had to
    Put in to finally place your mark…..great job 
    TenShock Brushless / Pro Marine
    NEU Motors / Rico Racing/ Castle Creations
    2023 NAMBA & 2018 IMPBA FE High Points "National Champion"

Here is a "Shakedown" run Tyler made earlier in the week. "ONLY" mid-130's... :)

Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Here are some random pics I captured during the week.

Driver's Meeting:

20141105_093648.jpg
    20141105_093652.jpg
    20141105_093658.jpg

The Aussie Awesomeness that is Kris Flynn and Aaron Ospec!!

20141105_134918.jpg
    20141107_120207.jpg
    20141109_135251.jpg

Kris Flynn DRAGON EA making a 70mph pass in P-OPC

A video of the record run:

I just watched it, couldn't do it on my phone while at work. I can feel the real joy and anticipation!!
    Wow, Mark's voice says it all and fellow boaters cheers and congrats.
    I feel like I should not even post anything here but I have witnessed two SAW events ( last year's and part of this year's) , I have learned that all these people possess "The Right Stuff". That is how history is made and records are broken with new heights every year! I have the utmost admiration and respect for all of them.

P.S.
    WHO CARES ABOUT THE VID QUALITY???
    This one is for the archives.
    BTW, some of the most important historical moments were filmed on grainy 16mm silent films....
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Here is a "Shakedown" run Tyler made earlier in the week. "ONLY" mid-130's... :)

Very nice!!! Thanks, Darin!!

P.S. Back in the day, they used 16mm silent film because it was the best available at the time. There are also very important historical documents written in stone with a hammer and chisel, but you don't see anyone trying to write a novel that way today, do you? At least we have a video of the event, even if it makes people's eyes cry more than peeling onions Hahahahaha I'm only kidding, relax!

Hello guys and thanks for all the compliments. I still have a smile glued on my face from the run Sunday night. I will get all the official results from Kim Grim once they have been double checked as well as post pics of all the competitors with their boats. Bear with me as I sort out the details and make a write up of the event.

TG
    Way to go man..I know how much work and dedication it takes to do those speeds and balancing act !!!

Tony "ProperChopper" Heller making a 70mph+ P-LTD CAT SAW pass... The next time, Jay and I are going to tie his hands behind his back after the first pass and hold him down until WE say it's time to make the return!! He made MULTIPLE 70+ passes... just couldn't quite get a solid return pass.

BUT, he is an ALL around GREAT guy, so we'll forgive him this time around...

Kris Flynn making an attempt with his 100+ MPH P-SPORT Boat!!

THINK about what I just said there... 100+MPH...

I couldn't hear the time, but I think this pass was "only" 98mph or so...

Don't recall what went wrong for the return pass, but Kris ultimately established a new record of 96.xxx MPH...

I can tell you with GREAT CERTAINTY that this setup WILL have a record over 100mph given proper water conditions and a little racing luck. An amazing setup, and a GREAT RACER!!

Kris Flynn, Ralf Moser, and Andreas Lehner talking shop while waiting for clean water:

20141109_135114.jpg
    20141109_135138.jpg

The calm after the storm... Getting ready to call it a night and regroup for the next day!

20141108_172806.jpg

Some Random shots across the pits:
    20141109_135124.jpg
    20141109_135231.jpg
    20141109_135339.jpg
    20141109_135609.jpg

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast