Thread: Legg Lake 5-Day Super SAW Event Wed Nov 5th-Sun Nov 9th

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Yep, I have a couple. Here is one.

View My Video
    Thanks, Jay! That's cool!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Did anyone at the event happen to capture any video of my N2-Cat making a run (successful run, preferably... :) )?
    Still sorting ; found these 2 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyAYCXzCfs0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIpqhagxjD8
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Perfect Tony... Thanks!

(Still Sorting)

Andreas Lehner's Cat : I theenk this is a record run if you listen carefully at the end of the pass you can hear "There it is "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcaUAaIvRgE
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Here is a brief description of the T-hydro and some pics of the boat prior to the event.

The boat is my own design based loosely on the Raptor Rigger by Brian Buaas. The rudder assembly is from Chris Woods running a kitchen knife. The strut is from Lenny Blake at Rum Racing products with special bushings. 3/16" square drive system with flex cable, mostly Octura parts. I machined and broached my own motor couplers to adapt the 8mm shaft to square cable. Motor is a Lehner 22 series Hi-Amp. I will not say what exact wind or length used. Controller is a Schulze 40.160wk and I used a set of SLS V2 Magnum 10S 5Ah lipos. The prop is a stainless recasting from an existing two blade prop (I am not saying which one) that was cut down, profiled and thinned to a reasonable level but not too much so it had some strength. The sponsons are a very simple JAE like design with a flat ride pad (the width and angle I will not say).

This is the 6th iteration of this hull design. The tub and sponsons are legal in Q, S and T classes.

Last edited by RaceMechaniX; 01-09-2015 at 07:32 PM.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Here is a brief description of the T-hydro and some pics of the boat prior to the event.

The boat is my own design based loosely on the Raptor Rigger by Brian Buaas. The rudder assembly is from Chris Woods running a kitchen knife. The strut is from Lenny Blake at Rum Racing products with special bushings. 3/16" square drive system with flex cable, mostly Octura parts. I machined and broached my own motor couplers to adapt the 8mm shaft to square cable. Motor is a Lehner 22 series Hi-Amp. I will not say what exact wind or length used. Controller is a Schulze 40.160wk and I used a set of SLS V2 Magnum 10S 5Ah lipos. The prop is a stainless recasting from an existing two blade prop (I am not saying which one) that was cut down, profiled and thinned to a reasonable level but not too much so it had some strength. The sponsons are a very simple JAE like design with a flat ride pad (the width and angle I will not say).

This is the 6th iteration of this hull design. The tub and sponsons are legal in Q, S and T classes.

Tyler, why the need for square-drive cable?

Does anyone have the "OFFICIAL" Results from this event yet?? :)

Darin,

Still waiting for Mark and Kim to return from Huntsville.

urbs00007,

I tried running wires but for several reasons they failed often. I went to standard flex cable for reliability. In a flexcable application there is tremendous axial force and torque applied to the cable particularly for a boat that accelerates from 0-140 in several hundred feet. Eliminating the thrust on the cable reduces stress and potential binding. It is also more consistent when the pushing on the strut compared to the motor with the cable wind-up.

TG
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Darin,

urbs00007,

I tried running wires but for several reasons they failed often. I went to standard flex cable for reliability. In a flexcable application there is tremendous axial force and torque applied to the cable particularly for a boat that accelerates from 0-140 in several hundred feet. Eliminating the thrust on the cable reduces stress and potential binding. It is also more consistent when the pushing on the strut compared to the motor with the cable wind-up.

TG
    thats what i thought. what kind of bearing are you using at strut for thrust?

Teflon thrust washer.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

thanks tyler. one more question please. do you have any data that the batteries you ran were a deciding factor? if they were are they available to purchase?

Hard to say how much of the difference was the batteries versus the controller. I am sure it was a little of both. Keep in mind I ran the smallest prop I had when I set the record. Earlier in the week I tried four other props with varying pitches and almost all resulted in the same 137mph speeds. I think the old controller and SLS batteries could have pushed one of the higher pitched props to higher speeds. We'll find out at the next event.

The SLS batteries are available from http://www.stefansliposhop.de/ I am not sure if he ships them internationally.

TG
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

are you data-logging this boat? and if no, why not?

We'll find out at the next event.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Does anyone have the "OFFICIAL" Results from this event yet?? :)

Darin,

urbs00007,

TG
    Good one! I have been saying the same thing with less the tech data for years, Never felt any one listened to me.

Thanks Tyler for sharing the pictures and info. Could I get a snap shot over all of the boat from the rear?
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Thanks Randy,

There is a small secret I am hiding by not showing a shot straight from the rear. I will send you the pic via email.

TG
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Thanks
    My email is randyatbby@gmail.com
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345